Jesus Christ and Repentance

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
It is said in 2 chronicles 7:14 if My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land

I believe therefore God wants us to pray and fast and turn from what we know of of our sins then God will heal the land by making us successful and convincing to attract people to the gospel and part of the gospel is to tell people to turn from what they are able to that is why God chose John the Baptist and said he who is least in the kingdom is greater than he
Not all can follow John footsteps by living in the wilderness and facing such temptations but all can fast and pray and all Christians should also return to what God has taught which is to practice baptism as necessary to be saved upon death and also to maybe consider the Lord supper as a means of communion for healing now incase the Lord intended it as such but I don’t know to be able to be fully alive now to witness to others the fullness of Christianity though others are still saved without it but not full witnesses and maybe not saved now or maybe only baptism is necessary to be saved now for forgiveness of sins now but communion is necessary to be fully healed now and united to God already as witnesses otherwise you are still saved but you don’t have the life fully baptism takes away the sins but communion allows you to be fully united with God now not being necessary to do His will but to make a person be able to partake of the complete life now

Jesus explains the purpose of fasting is to allow Jesus to come to the world not physically but for Him to be known by others when we allow God to work in us the more we follow Jesus and please Him just as John the Baptist prepared the way for the world to receive Jesus when He says the bridegroom will be taken away from them and they will fast in those days

But I don’t believe I should force fasting on everyone and teach that people must be fasting for that is like teaching people must eat only vegetables and it does not display the right image of true Christianity that we believe people must be fasting always and that it is even good to always fast and not support those who make a living making food they believe others will want and expect others to support them

It is one choice one does not have to go to eat but to eat is not condemned

I also believe the bible teaches that fasting is not good to be done alone as it can lead to weariness and sluggishness in seeking after God if you are weak and not already connected to God it should be done only if you are already connected to God as Jesus said new wine should not be put on old wineskins lest it spills. It should always be pursued within your ability but a person may be weak and one is not prepared to fast or fasting should only be done in one ability while he is able when it benefits one. There is nothing wrong with enjoying food it is wrong if you are always eating and drinking and that is all you are concerned about for bible says man lives by every word of God and a person most connects with God when he is fasting but such fasting should only be done when you are already connected with God to be able to handle the fasting

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
True repentance is important and so John the Baptist says bear fruits worthy of repentance I should not teach praying and fasting is not necessary for a person to be saved if that is necessary to make a person find God and to walk in Him for God asks from people what they are able to do and not all will be given opportunity to be able to turn to God later so people have to turn to God now. God can accept anyone who turns now and has opportunity to diligently seek Him to do His will for Him to show them. For Jesus said everyone who seeks finds. But if one is not truly seeking diligently now to do His will He shows it can be too late for if you do not you may not be able to have done the will of God before you die. But you don't know if you will slumber and it is harder you have to be more diligent so you should seek Him earlier. Other ministries help to confirm and encourage you on the right path but if you are seeking Christ directly truly you should be able to know the right path. If you are truly seeking Christ diligently Christ may also send many opportunities for you to come across what will help you to make sure you have what you need.
Jesus is the way and He says come to Me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Acts 17:30

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Now is this a universal command of God ? Yes by means ! Is it a command for all individuals universal ? No, by no means, its for the Elect or Chosen of God universally, God Spiritual Israel from amongst the jews and Gentiles. Repentance has been granted solely to Israel with the accompanying forgiveness of sins Acts 5:31

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

"a Saviour to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins."

But to have us understand that this Israel is #1 Spiritual and #2 Universal reaching into all ethnic groups, we learn this Acts 11:18

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. And that is why repentance with remission of sins should be preached universally to all nations Lk 24:46-47

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. Cp Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness/remission of sins.

Now Israel is Gods Chosen, that is Spiritual Israel is, an Israel Chosen in Gods Chosen Christ !

Eph 1:4

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Acts 17:30

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Now is this a universal command of God ? Yes by means ! Is it a command for all individuals universal ? No, by no means, its for the Elect or Chosen of God universally, ......

You REALLY sure you want to hold on to this Calvinistic way of thinking? For your sake I sincerely would hope not. I can't help but envision some sinner stand before the throne of God who didn't repent and God asks them why they didn't and they respond well a person on Earth made me think that God might not even mean me. You do know right that those who take the position to want to teach will be subject to very close scrutiny and will have to give account.

My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. Jm 3:1

Never, ever, ever will it leave my lips that God hasn't commanded everybody universally to repent. I think you need to at least appreciate if you're wrong in what you're claiming (and I believe you are) you would be in the highest magnitude of being wrong about something. To actually make someone potentially question whether God means for them to repent.....scary stuff. For your sake please reconsider.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You REALLY sure you want to hold on to this Calvinistic way of thinking? For your sake I sincerely would hope not. I can't help but envision some sinner stand before the throne of God who didn't repent and God asks them why they didn't and they respond well a person on Earth made me think that God might not even mean me. You do know right that those who take the position to want to teach will be subject to very close scrutiny and will have to give account.

My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. Jm 3:1

Never, ever, ever will it leave my lips that God hasn't commanded everybody universally to repent. I think you need to at least appreciate if you're wrong in what you're claiming (and I believe you are) you would be in the highest magnitude of being wrong about something. To actually make someone potentially question whether God means for them to repent.....scary stuff. For your sake please reconsider.
Man naturally doesnt desire God, hes at enmity against God, and not subject to the command of God Rom 8:7

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law/command of God, neither indeed can be.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those thinking Paul did not preach repentance, he most certainly did.

II Corinthians 12:21 "And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed."

As most know, repentance is simply a "change of heart/mind".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For those thinking Paul did not preach repentance, he most certainly did.

II Corinthians 12:21 "And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed."

As most know, repentance is simply a "change of heart/mind".
Paul preached that God must be the one to give repentance as well 2 Tim 2:25

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is Limited to Gods Elect/Chosen !

You see, repentance is based upon in the evangelical sense, the forgiveness of sins Acts 5:31

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Lk 24:47

And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem

Its the Chosen in Christ who have forgiveness of sins, Eph 1:4,7

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

In whom we [The Chosen in Christ the Beloved Vs4] have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See, the natural man is bound to the Law and is required to do the whole law without fault as was Adam, the natural head of man. Now naturally man is bound to the Law as long as he lives naturally, except secretly, unknown to him, he became dead to the Law by the Body of Christ Rom 7:4, which if is the case, repentance will be given them via the newbirth.63

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See, if Christ didn't die for one, then they are bound to the Law, to do it perfectly or suffer condemnation of death. Heres how it works in this simile Rom 7:7

7 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

The only way the sinner isn't still married to and bound to the Law, is if Christ died for them, if He didn't, no repentance can be granted, its their natural duty to obey God's law perfectly, or else eternal damnation!65

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Commandment of God to repent is effectual !

Paul's sermon here in Acts 17:30

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now [God] commandeth all men every where to repent:

This is the Sovereign God of the Universe, this is His Word of Command, for instance Ps 33:8-9

8 Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

So Gods commanding the all men to repent ensures with His own power that its done by the all men He specifically commands to repent !

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Commandment of God to repent is effectual !2

The word of Gods commandment produces the desired result. When Christ commanded Lazarus Jn 11:43

And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. Lets remember Lazarus was dead at this time:

Jn 11:14

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Now the words come forth are in the greek an imperative
deuro:

(a) exclamatory: come, (b) temporal: now, the present.

in urging and calling, "Here! Come!"

The greek imperative means:

The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding.

In Acts 17:30 God is commanding all men everywhere to repent, and they shall do it, as many as God has Granted repentance Acts 11:18

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See, the natural man is bound to the Law and is required to do the whole law without fault as was Adam, the natural head of man. Now naturally man is bound to the Law as long as he lives naturally, except secretly, unknown to him, he became dead to the Law by the Body of Christ Rom 7:4, which if is the case, repentance will be given them via the newbirth.63

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter was preaching the same gospel of the kingdom that Jesus and the others were preaching in the 4 Gospels.
In that gospel, Israel needed to repent of rejecting God ever since their covenant of the Law, believe in Jesus as the Son of God, and get water baptized.
But that gospel of the kingdom was not meant for gentiles (Matthew 10:5)

Yes.

It was Paul the gentile apostile who brought to the Church "justification by Faith", not Peter.
This is why Paul said..>"Christ sent me not to water baptize"..
And that does not mean that we are not to be water baptized, but it is showing us the distinction between Salvation and water.,, between REDEMPTION and discipleship.

Much of what Paul did is recorded in the "Acts of the Apostles", and when you spend 30 minutes studying it, locating all the people who were water baptized, you'll discover that all "BELIEVED" and were saved, and born again , and THEN they were water baptized.
You can look at the first recorded in The Acts of the Apostles, . the Eunuch...
He asked Philip , "can i be water baptized", and Phillip explains, "justification by faith"... He says.>"YES< if you have BELIEVED WITH ALL YOUR HEART (FIRST)">. as that is Paul's Gospel..."all that believe shall be saved".."all that call on the name of Jesus shall be saved", or as Jesus explains".. "all that Believe in Me, i GIVE Unto you/them ETERNAL LIFE".
No water.
The water FOLLOWS Salvation, always, in the NT.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

It was Paul the gentile apostile who brought to the Church "justification by Faith", not Peter.
This is why Paul said..>"Christ sent me not to water baptize"..
And that does not mean that we are not to be water baptized, but it is showing us the distinction between Salvation and water.,, between REDEMPTION and discipleship.

Much of what Paul did is recorded in the "Acts of the Apostles", and when you spend 30 minutes studying it, locating all the people who were water baptized, you'll discover that all "BELIEVED" and were saved, and born again , and THEN they were water baptized.
You can look at the first recorded in The Acts of the Apostles, . the Eunuch...
He asked Philip , "can i be water baptized", and Phillip explains, "justification by faith"... He says.>"YES< if you have BELIEVED WITH ALL YOUR HEART (FIRST)">. as that is Paul's Gospel..."all that believe shall be saved".."all that call on the name of Jesus shall be saved", or as Jesus explains".. "all that Believe in Me, i GIVE Unto you/them ETERNAL LIFE".
No water.
The water FOLLOWS Salvation, always, in the NT.

So if one is not water baptized after he is saved, what will happen to him?

He is redeemed but he is not a disciple. according to your view? What does that mean to him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What did Jesus Christ, the Highest Authority on all that the Holy Bible Teaches, mean when He says at the start of His earthly Ministry,

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:15)

Matthew records Jesus as saying,

“From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (4:17)

In Luke’s Gospel, chapter 13, verses 1-5, again Jesus says;

“There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

There are some, especially from the “reformed” Christians, who reject what the Lord Jesus Christ here very clearly Teaches, that true Biblical “repentance” is not merely changing ones mind on what they though about the God of the Holy Bible, or Jesus Christ; but, that “repentance from sins” is also included. Which is a deep sorrow for sins committed against the God of the Bible, and a willingness to change and turn around and live a life that is worthy of salvation.
Metanoia (repentance) means a change of mind or purpose. In the NT it is used of turning from sin and to God.
It is a work of conviction by the Holy Spirit.
Metanoia does not mean sorrow.
This was the message preached in the New Testament, By John the Baptist, “And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Luke 3:3), and which Jesus Christ continued to Preach. There is no evidence in the New Testament, that what Jesus Christ Preached on repentance, was any different to what John the Baptist said.

In the Gospel of Matthew 11:20-24, (and other Gospels), Jesus says to those who refused to “repent”, after He had Preached the Gospel:

“Then He began to denounce the cities where most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.”

The phrase “sackcloth and ashes” signifies extreme sorrow for sins, as we read in Jonah 3:6-9

“The word reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he issued a proclamation and published through Nineveh, “By the decree of the king and his nobles: Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything. Let them not feed or drink water, but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them call out mightily to God. Let everyone turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish.”

And in verse 10 we read, “When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.”

The same of the tax collector in Luke 18:13, “But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’”

Yet there are some who actually mock what the Bible Teaches on “Repentance for the forgiveness of sins”, as though it is a strange Teaching and somehow a “work” that is to “merit” our salvation! Such is the deception of the devil, whereby he has caused some of “the elect” to be fooled that what the Word of God actually Teaches, is not true!

Again the Teachings of Jesus Christ, at the close of His earthly Ministry, when He Commissioned His Disciples to go into all the world, “and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His Name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (Luke 24:47)

This was followed by the Disciples, like the Apostle Peter in his first “sermon”, where we read in Acts 2:37-38:
“Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”
Context:

Peter was preaching to Jews (Acts 2:5).

They were cut to the heart at Peter's messsage:

"Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men put him to death by nailing him to the cross. . .God has raised this Jesus to life and we are all witnesses of the fact.

Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear
(Pentecost). . .Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah (Christ)."

The same Holy Spirit who was poured out on the apostles giving them to speak in foreign languages likewise convicted the hearts of the Jewish crowd of their sin, and they repented of (turned from, "What shall we do?") what they had done to God's anointed Lord and Messiah.
When those who were convicted (cut to the heart) by God the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the Gospel by Peter, they said to them “what shall we DO”. Peter did not say to them, “you have to do nothing, simply believe”. No! He clearly tells them to REPENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS. Which is what John the Baptist taught, and Jesus Christ.

Sinners are asking this same question “what shall we DO”, and all Christians have a duty to tell them exactly what Jesus Christ, God Incarnate Commanded that we tell them: REPENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS, and “BELIEVE IN THE GOSPEL”. This is the ONLY Message for the salvation of lost sinners, to reduce this to no repentance and only faith, is to preach half the Gospel Message, and “another gospel”, which really cannot save any lost souls!

Sadly, there are those who are more concerned about their warped “theology”, who will nonetheless still reject the Teachings of the Holy Bible, and try to argue against what Jesus Christ and the Bible actually says! No human being can ever get into heaven without “repenting and believing in the Gospel”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if one is not water baptized after he is saved, what will happen to him?
He is redeemed but he is not a disciple. according to your view? What does that mean to him?

IF one is not water baptized...>"after he is SAVED"

See that part.....>"AFTER HE IS Saved".

So, there is SALVATION. its the '"Saved" part.
To be saved is because God has Saved you, using the blood of Jesus.
Can water do that?
Did water shed its blood and die on the Cross?
No . So, if you never get water baptized, and are SAVED, then , there is your answer.

You dont go to heaven because you were immersed in water.
You go to heaven because God has saved you, using the BLOOD of the Savior.

We should all be water baptized.
We should all go to church.
We should all give to the poor.

But we do all this BECAUSE WE ARE SAVED, and not to become saved.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See, if Christ didn't die for one, then they are bound to the Law, to do it perfectly or suffer condemnation of death. Heres how it works in this simile Rom 7:7

7 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

The only way the sinner isn't still married to and bound to the Law, is if Christ died for them, if He didn't, no repentance can be granted, its their natural duty to obey God's law perfectly, or else eternal damnation!65

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF one is not water baptized...>"after he is SAVED"

See that part.....>"AFTER HE IS Saved".

So, there is SALVATION. its the '"Saved" part.
To be saved is because God has Saved you, using the blood of Jesus.
Can water do that?
Did water shed its blood and die on the Cross?
No . So, if you never get water baptized, and are SAVED, then , there is your answer.

You dont go to heaven because you were immersed in water.
You go to heaven because God has saved you, using the BLOOD of the Savior.

We should all be water baptized.
We should all go to church.
We should all give to the poor.

But we do all this BECAUSE WE ARE SAVED, and not to become saved.

So nothing will happen to him even if he doesn’t get water baptized?

You would agree with that?

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So nothing will happen to him even if he doesn’t get water baptized?

You would agree with that?

Nothing will happen to him.
The only thing that matters is what Jesus said.

"you must be born again".

Here is something you might enjoy knowing..
The dying thief on the cross, was never water baptized.
I was not water baptized for 11 yrs after i was born again.

Salvation is not about water, its about BLOOD.

Upvote 0