Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What did Jesus Christ, the Highest Authority on all that the Holy Bible Teaches, mean when He says at the start of His earthly Ministry,

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:15)

Matthew records Jesus as saying,

“From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (4:17)

In Luke’s Gospel, chapter 13, verses 1-5, again Jesus says;

“There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

There are some, especially from the “reformed” Christians, who reject what the Lord Jesus Christ here very clearly Teaches, that true Biblical “repentance” is not merely changing ones mind on what they though about the God of the Holy Bible, or Jesus Christ; but, that “repentance from sins” is also included. Which is a deep sorrow for sins committed against the God of the Bible, and a willingness to change and turn around and live a life that is worthy of salvation. This was the message preached in the New Testament, By John the Baptist, “And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Luke 3:3), and which Jesus Christ continued to Preach. There is no evidence in the New Testament, that what Jesus Christ Preached on repentance, was any different to what John the Baptist said.

In the Gospel of Matthew 11:20-24, (and other Gospels), Jesus says to those who refused to “repent”, after He had Preached the Gospel:

“Then He began to denounce the cities where most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.”

The phrase “sackcloth and ashes” signifies extreme sorrow for sins, as we read in Jonah 3:6-9

“The word reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he issued a proclamation and published through Nineveh, “By the decree of the king and his nobles: Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything. Let them not feed or drink water, but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them call out mightily to God. Let everyone turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish.”

And in verse 10 we read, “When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.”

The same of the tax collector in Luke 18:13, “But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’”

Yet there are some who actually mock what the Bible Teaches on “Repentance for the forgiveness of sins”, as though it is a strange Teaching and somehow a “work” that is to “merit” our salvation! Such is the deception of the devil, whereby he has caused some of “the elect” to be fooled that what the Word of God actually Teaches, is not true!

Again the Teachings of Jesus Christ, at the close of His earthly Ministry, when He Commissioned His Disciples to go into all the world, “and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His Name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (Luke 24:47)

This was followed by the Disciples, like the Apostle Peter in his first “sermon”, where we read in Acts 2:37-38:

“Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”

When those who were convicted (cut to the heart) by God the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the Gospel by Peter, they said to them “what shall we DO”. Peter did not say to them, “you have to do nothing, simply believe”. No! He clearly tells them to REPENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS. Which is what John the Baptist taught, and Jesus Christ.

Sinners are asking this same question “what shall we DO”, and all Christians have a duty to tell them exactly what Jesus Christ, God Incarnate Commanded that we tell them: REPENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS, and “BELIEVE IN THE GOSPEL”. This is the ONLY Message for the salvation of lost sinners, to reduce this to no repentance and only faith, is to preach half the Gospel Message, and “another gospel”, which really cannot save any lost souls!

Sadly, there are those who are more concerned about their warped “theology”, who will nonetheless still reject the Teachings of the Holy Bible, and try to argue against what Jesus Christ and the Bible actually says! No human being can ever get into heaven without “repenting and believing in the Gospel”.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟216,722.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus Christ, the Highest Authority on all that the Holy Bible Teaches, mean when He says at the start of His earthly Ministry,

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:15)

Matthew records Jesus as saying,

“From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (4:17)

In Luke’s Gospel, chapter 13, verses 1-5, again Jesus says;

“There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

There are some, especially from the “reformed” Christians, who reject what the Lord Jesus Christ here very clearly Teaches, that true Biblical “repentance” is not merely changing ones mind on what they though about the God of the Holy Bible, or Jesus Christ; but, that “repentance from sins” is also included. Which is a deep sorrow for sins committed against the God of the Bible, and a willingness to change and turn around and live a life that is worthy of salvation. This was the message preached in the New Testament, By John the Baptist, “And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Luke 3:3), and which Jesus Christ continued to Preach. There is no evidence in the New Testament, that what Jesus Christ Preached on repentance, was any different to what John the Baptist said.

In the Gospel of Matthew 11:20-24, (and other Gospels), Jesus says to those who refused to “repent”, after He had Preached the Gospel:

“Then He began to denounce the cities where most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.”

The phrase “sackcloth and ashes” signifies extreme sorrow for sins, as we read in Jonah 3:6-9

“The word reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he issued a proclamation and published through Nineveh, “By the decree of the king and his nobles: Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything. Let them not feed or drink water, but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them call out mightily to God. Let everyone turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish.”

And in verse 10 we read, “When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.”

The same of the tax collector in Luke 18:13, “But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’”

Yet there are some who actually mock what the Bible Teaches on “Repentance for the forgiveness of sins”, as though it is a strange Teaching and somehow a “work” that is to “merit” our salvation! Such is the deception of the devil, whereby he has caused some of “the elect” to be fooled that what the Word of God actually Teaches, is not true!

Again the Teachings of Jesus Christ, at the close of His earthly Ministry, when He Commissioned His Disciples to go into all the world, “and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His Name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (Luke 24:47)

This was followed by the Disciples, like the Apostle Peter in his first “sermon”, where we read in Acts 2:37-38:

“Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”

When those who were convicted (cut to the heart) by God the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the Gospel by Peter, they said to them “what shall we DO”. Peter did not say to them, “you have to do nothing, simply believe”. No! He clearly tells them to REPENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS. Which is what John the Baptist taught, and Jesus Christ.

Sinners are asking this same question “what shall we DO”, and all Christians have a duty to tell them exactly what Jesus Christ, God Incarnate Commanded that we tell them: REPENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS, and “BELIEVE IN THE GOSPEL”. This is the ONLY Message for the salvation of lost sinners, to reduce this to no repentance and only faith, is to preach half the Gospel Message, and “another gospel”, which really cannot save any lost souls!

Sadly, there are those who are more concerned about their warped “theology”, who will nonetheless still reject the Teachings of the Holy Bible, and try to argue against what Jesus Christ and the Bible actually says! No human being can ever get into heaven without “repenting and believing in the Gospel”.

Peter was preaching the same gospel of the kingdom that Jesus and the others were preaching in the 4 Gospels.

In that gospel, Israel needed to repent of rejecting God ever since their covenant of the Law, believe in Jesus as the Son of God, and get water baptized.

But that gospel of the kingdom was not meant for gentiles (Matthew 10:5)

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peter was preaching the same gospel of the kingdom that Jesus and the others were preaching in the 4 Gospels.

In that gospel, Israel needed to repent of rejecting God ever since their covenant of the Law, believe in Jesus as the Son of God, and get water baptized.

But that gospel of the kingdom was not meant for gentiles (Matthew 10:5)

the Gospel was at first to be preached to the Jews, who rejected it, then it was taken to the whole world, which is clear from Romans chapters 9-11. The Gospel Message has never changed, that sinners need to repent of their sins, and believe in the Salvation provided in Jesus Christ alone. NO "good works" are required, or water baptism.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟216,722.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the Gospel was at first to be preached to the Jews, who rejected it, then it was taken to the whole world, which is clear from Romans chapters 9-11. The Gospel Message has never changed, that sinners need to repent of their sins, and believe in the Salvation provided in Jesus Christ alone. NO "good works" are required, or water baptism.

Mark 16:16 and Acts 2:38, the latter which you already quoted, already stated clearly that water baptism was required for salvation for Israel.

Israel was to be a nation of priests to bring all gentiles to the Lord (Zechariah 8:23). For them to be priests, all of them needed to be baptized.

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
already stated clearly that water baptism was required for salvation for Israel.

if what you say is true, the the thief on the cross was not saved, as he was NO baptised in water! Luke 24:47 says "repentance for forgiveness of sins", which means that when a sinner REPENTS, the receive "forgiveness of sins". When Peter says in Acts 2:38, firstly to REPENT, this means that this brought about the forgiveness of their sins. As for Mark, you will note the in the second part of this verse, "baptism" is not mentioned. If water baptism is essential for salvation, then Paul was precahing a false Gospel! He clearly says in 1 Corinthians chapter 1,

"I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." (14-17)

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟216,722.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if what you say is true, the the thief on the cross was not saved, as he was NO baptised in water! Luke 24:47 says "repentance for forgiveness of sins", which means that when a sinner REPENTS, the receive "forgiveness of sins". When Peter says in Acts 2:38, firstly to REPENT, this means that this brought about the forgiveness of their sins. As for Mark, you will note the in the second part of this verse, "baptism" is not mentioned. If water baptism is essential for salvation, then Paul was precahing a false Gospel! He clearly says in 1 Corinthians chapter 1,

"I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." (14-17)

As I already said, the gospel of the kingdom was not meant for gentiles.

Paul was the apostle of the Gentiles. For us saved under the gospel given to Paul for us in the Body of Christ, yes, you are correct, water baptism is not necessary.

We are saved by believing Christ died for our sins and rose again on the 3rd day for our justification.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
here are some, especially from the “reformed” Christians, who reject what the Lord Jesus Christ here very clearly Teaches, that true Biblical “repentance” is not merely changing ones mind on what they though about the God of the Holy Bible, or Jesus Christ; but, that “repentance from sins” is also included.
Who are these “reformed” Christians who reject Biblical “repentance”?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There are some who say that repentance is a work and only faith is required for salvation
Do these people say that we can go on sinning as long as we have faith?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Repentance is called a 'work', Matthew 12:41 cf Jonah 3:10 "And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not." The repentance of Nineveh is a work God saw just as faith is a work Christ saw, Mark 2:4-5. Though faith and repentance are obedient works, they are necessary preconditions God has placed upon His free gift of salvation and meeting the precondition placed upon the free gift does not merit the free gift in any way. As confession (Matthew 10:32-33) and water baptism (Mark 16:16) are also necessary preconditions, yet obediently submitting to them merits nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance is called a 'work', Matthew 12:41 cf Jonah 3:10 "And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not." The repentance of Nineveh is a work God saw just as faith is a work Christ saw, Mark 2:4-5. Though faith and repentance are obedient works, they are necessary preconditions God has placed upon His free gift of salvation and meeting the precondition placed upon the free gift does not merit the free gift in any way.

The work referred to in Jonah is not merited. It is the sinner complying with what God requires from the sinner. The work is that they turned from their sins

Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The work referred to in Jonah is not merited. It is the sinner complying with what God requires from the sinner. The work is that they turned from their sins
Yes, a work (repentance) was performed but that work did not merit God's mercy.....'God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not'....God showed mercy instead of destroying Nienveh as He said He would.

So the argument some make that any work is an attempt to merit salvation has no Biblical, logical basis.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A sinner who is under the conviction of the Holy Spirit, can either accept or reject that conviction.
Don’t they have to believe in the God who is convicting them?

Upvote 0