Jesus calls the transfiguration on the Mt of Olives a vision.

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
KJV Dictionary Definition: VI'SION, n. s as z. L. visio, from video, visus.
4. In Scripture, a revelation from God; an appearance or exhibition of something supernaturally presented to the minds of the prophets, by which they were informed of future events. Such were the visions of Isaiah, of Amos, of Ezekiel, etc.
VISION - Definition from the KJV Dictionary

Matt 17:
1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
(MY NOTE: 3 FUTURE main characters)

2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
(MY NOTE: Jesus face shines bright & he's covered in Shekinah glory)

3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
(MY NOTE: The great/loved/respected law & prophet representatives are present)

4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
(MY NOTE: Peter wants to make 3 shrines, 1 for each)

5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
(MY NOTE Before Peter gets the statement out. A voice makes it clear to all, listen to my Son, He's NO #1)

9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
(MY NOTE: Jesus say's; Tell the VISION to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead)

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
KJV Dictionary Definition: VI'SION, n. s as z. L. visio, from video, visus.
4. In Scripture, a revelation from God; an appearance or exhibition of something supernaturally presented to the minds of the prophets, by which they were informed of future events. Such were the visions of Isaiah, of Amos, of Ezekiel, etc.
VISION - Definition from the KJV Dictionary

Matt 17:
1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
(MY NOTE: 3 FUTURE main characters)

2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
(MY NOTE: Jesus face shines bright & he's covered in Shekinah glory)

3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
(MY NOTE: The great/loved/respected law & prophet representatives are present)

4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
(MY NOTE: Peter wants to make 3 shrines, 1 for each)

5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
(MY NOTE Before Peter gets the statement out. A voice makes it clear to all, listen to my Son, He's NO #1)

9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
(MY NOTE: Jesus say's; Tell the VISION to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead)

I would mention there is two witnesses. One greater than the other. The father of lies would try and make it all as one witness . Or the one many a legion , the spirit of lies

The subject matter that leads to the vision. (The revealed declaration )found in that parable Gods word prophecy. It is given through many manners and different ways parables one of the manners of faith.

The subject in Mathew 17 found in …. Mathew 16;4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

A wicked and adulterous generation or called evil generation (natural unconverted mankind “no faith” as it is written)

The above subject matter that led to the vision of Moses and Elijah in a parable or figure was to those who sought after signs to wonder rather than seeking by faith as it is written .

Brought them to a High mountain that represented all the kingdoms of the world that will become the kingdoms of God on the last day

Matthew 17 King James Version (KJV) And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

He used signs to be used as metaphors hiding the understanding of faith from the unredeemed . . Revealing it to those who do mix faith with the temporal things of mankind seen in order to give us the understanding of His work of faith, or labor of love. .

Moses and Elijah were not literally seen(flesh and blood) But are used to paint a bigger picture as a parable to what they working as one represented .

Moses to represent the law giver according to the letter death . And the Elijah representing all the prophets coming in the power of the father, Elijah like Aaron as his priest preaching the gospel. Together between the two witnesses making the perfect or complete law the one witness of God to the law (Moses) and the prophets , Elijah the incorruptible seed by which men are born again from above the hearing or understanding of sola scriptura.

And not the literal witness of men Moses or Elijah Apart from each other there is no government. .Again the two witness of God the greater witness than that of men.

1 John 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

Son of man coming into kingdom on the last day in order to show the invisible working of the Kingdom Jesus presents a parable . When understood properly it gives us a vision of the eternal using the temporal things seen

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would mention there is two witnesses. One greater than the other. The father of lies would try and make it all as one witness . Or the one many a legion , the spirit of lies

The subject matter that leads to the vision. (The revealed declaration )found in that parable Gods word prophecy. It is given through many manners and different ways parables one of the manners of faith.

The subject in Mathew 17 found in …. Mathew 16;4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

A wicked and adulterous generation or called evil generation (natural unconverted mankind “no faith” as it is written)

The above subject matter that led to the vision of Moses and Elijah in a parable or figure was to those who sought after signs to wonder rather than seeking by faith as it is written .

Brought them to a High mountain that represented all the kingdoms of the world that will become the kingdoms of God on the last day

Matthew 17 King James Version (KJV) And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

He used signs to be used as metaphors hiding the understanding of faith from the unredeemed . . Revealing it to those who do mix faith with the temporal things of mankind seen in order to give us the understanding of His work of faith, or labor of love. .

Moses and Elijah were not literally seen(flesh and blood) But are used to paint a bigger picture as a parable to what they working as one represented .

Moses to represent the law giver according to the letter death . And the Elijah representing all the prophets coming in the power of the father, Elijah like Aaron as his priest preaching the gospel. Together between the two witnesses making the perfect or complete law the one witness of God to the law (Moses) and the prophets , Elijah the incorruptible seed by which men are born again from above the hearing or understanding of sola scriptura.

And not the literal witness of men Moses or Elijah Apart from each other there is no government. .Again the two witness of God the greater witness than that of men.

1 John 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

Son of man coming into kingdom on the last day in order to show the invisible working of the Kingdom Jesus presents a parable . When understood properly it gives us a vision of the eternal using the temporal things seen

Not sure how anything you presented relates to 1 simple point. Jesus calling this revelation a vision.

Upvote 0

ReuleauxMan

Logos Nerd
Jan 9, 2021
Central South
✟20,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
33.488 ὅρασιςa, εως f; ὅραμαb, τος n; ὀπτασία, ας f: an event in which something appears vividly and credibly to the mind, although not actually present, but implying the influence of some divine or supernatural power or agency—‘vision.’

Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 1, p. 444). New York: United Bible Societies.

Interesting. I had always assumed that in this event Moses and Elijah's spirits actually came to them and the disciples were able to see them because of Jesus' power, but instead Jesus' power is allowing them to see what Jesus wants them to see and its not an opening of their spirit eyes like Elisha had shown the servant in 2 Kings 6:17.

This makes sense because otherwise perhaps Jesus and His disciples would be communing with the dead, where mediumship is forbidden in Leviticus.

Upvote 0