Not open for further replies.

ristretto

Sep 22, 2008
✟7,623.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, if I take Genesis literally then why not also with the rest of the Bible.

Matthew 5:45 so that you will become children of your Father in heaven, because he makes his sun rise on both evil and good people, and he lets rain fall on the righteous and the unrighteous.

So Jesus believes that God makes the sun rise, so literally the Sun moves, like a balloon with Helium rises/moves. So if the sun does the moving, the earth must be standing still.

Sometimes all this literal talking is making me think silly. And for all you people with no sense of humor, flame away!

Last edited:

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Matthew 5:45 so that you will become children of your Father in heaven, because he makes his sun rise on both evil and good people, and he lets rain fall on the righteous and the unrighteous.

I met a modern policeman that denied slow shifting continental shelves. It's true! While driving my car, he told me to stop! Didn't he know this is impossible? He also was denying the earth rotating, moving around the sun, and the sun orbiting the center of the milky way.

But the way, the bible also talks about jesus stopping when he thought someone touched him. Duh! I guess the author was also denying everything that policeman was.

So I'm with ya dude. Great great argument. You're really really smart.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, my weatherman has been sunrise and sunset for years. What ARE we to think?

Oh, for sure. Geocentrists have been infiltrating our weather organizations for some time now. They are very dangerous people.

Upvote 0

So Jesus believes that God makes the sun rise, so literally the Sun moves, like a balloon with Helium rises/moves. So if the sun does the moving, the earth must be standing still.

Sometimes all this literal talking is making me think silly. And for all you people with no sense of humor, flame away!

You didn't even bother to comprehend the passage... Just why would you assume that's what he meant? What do people say these days? "Oh, what a beautiful sunrise!" "Look the sun already raised" and so on. Does that mean they believe the sun revolves around the earth?

Even if you are making a joke, it doesn't make any sense

Besides, in the original greek text (TR) is used the verb "anatello" (sorry I don't have a greek keyboard) whos main use in the new testament is "rise" as in sunrise. It is also used that the Lord rised from Juda and a cloud can also rise in the sky...

Don't forget that Jesus says that only through him can you make it into heaven. So that means you need to actually bore a hole into Jesus and go through him if you really want to take it literally.
Very true :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whataminute! You're not implying that the Bible -- though inspired by God -- is written from man's limited, earth-bound perspective, are you??????
Of course it is, mallon, isn't it obvious that a "day" in Genesis 1 is unquestionably an Earth-bound day?

And according to Genesis 1:14 the entire point of the entire billion-light-year-wide universe, with its innumerable galaxies and cosmic wonders, is

to mark time for humans.

("My grandfather clock was too large for the shelf / and it made the cosmos redundant!")

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You didn't even bother to comprehend the passage... Just why would you assume that's what he meant? What do people say these days? "Oh, what a beautiful sunrise!" "Look the sun already raised" and so on. Does that mean they believe the sun revolves around the earth?

Even if you are making a joke, it doesn't make any sense

Besides, in the original greek text (TR) is used the verb "anatello" (sorry I don't have a greek keyboard) whos main use in the new testament is "rise" as in sunrise. It is also used that the Lord rised from Juda and a cloud can also rise in the sky...

Very true :D

Exactly. I don't know anyone who takes Scripture to such a literal extreme. Not a good argument made.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. I don't know anyone who takes Scripture to such a literal extreme. Not a good argument made.
It is how everybody in the history of the church took it before 1543 when Copernicus published his book on heliocentrism, and for quite some time after too. So while it is a literal interpretation, it is hardly extreme.

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals

Yes, taking the bible literally without interpretation is a bad thing. Good thing we agree on that - now cross apply to Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jadin Xquire

Jul 1, 2009
✟7,898.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

They both move. Earth is moving around the Sun and the Sun is moving in space. It all depends on the perspective of a person. If you are on earth the sun looks like it going around the earth. If you were able to be on the sun then all the planets in this solar system would look like they are moving around the sun. Jesus was speaking from the point of view of Earth. There is also a saying He said to a pharisee teacher.....(Paraphrase)"Why would I speak of the spiritual things if you can't understand the common things?...." 2 reasons he spoke in parables. For his true believers to understand the meaning of the parables and so the unbelievers wouldn't understand the parable. I guess you might not understand fully that passage. He was talking about how fair God is with all. We have wealthy Sinners as we have wealthy Righteous in this world. The "Sun" is a metaphor. Jesus was using the "Sun" in this illustration for his point. The subject on this passage was not the "Sun". It was how fair God is to all believers and unbelievers. Replace the word "Sun" with "Wealth" for better understanding. Also put "Wealth" in the place of "rain" and you will see the point.

What you have done was simply misinterpret this passage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I don't see how you get that from that passage. Modern man speaks about the sun rising and falling (setting) but yet we don't believe that the sun revolves (orbits) around the earth.

Upvote 0

davec375

Jul 7, 2009
✟15,155.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

I ain't gonna flame you. But I just can't help thinking "earthrise" and "earthset" wouldn't have held any water?

Nevertheless, Jesus is correct, the sun does indeed rise and the sun does indeed set. He just failed to say by the rotational movements of the earth.

Upvote 0

pastorkevin73

Jan 8, 2006
Canada
✟16,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What a great example of someone not using proper herminutics.
Check out Todd Friel's "Herman Who?" on DVD. www.wretched.com (in the store link)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.