Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This pastor's demeanor revealed that he had probably exhausted the private counseling that you refer to. Time to bring out the club.

His demeanor? That's a pretty big inference to make into details we have no access to.

images

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And that can be done without the ridicule during a worship service. I don't believe you have the correct grasp of church discipline, whether a worship service is structured or not.

I'm guessing the problems with these individuals led to the pastor being greatly troubled about those problems. Enough to bring them out in front of the whole congregation. Also based on his rather direct threat to leave and find another church his authority was subject to a church 'board' of some sort. Not what God had in mind for the authority structure of the church.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This pastor's demeanor revealed that he had probably exhausted the private counseling that you refer to. Time to bring out the club.

His demeanor did not reveal that at all. Again, I point out the pastor stated the man to be wed was the real deal. Beatings are not of the kingdom of God, nor is your suggestion the man to be wed had it coming.

James C. Howell writes "To our humiliation, Christians have martyred other Christians who didn't believe the right things, who were born in the wrong region, who dared to right a listing ship."

I am set on the speech of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. "...The richness of the Wod of God ought to determine our prayer, not the poverty of our heart." "Nothing that we despise in the other man is entirely absent from ourselves...We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer."

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How do you know so much from such a short article?
Who is judging whom here?

The pastor is judging a member of his congregation. I mean, the nerve of someone to insult someone who comes to their church in front of everyone else. It just blows my mind.

Upvote 0

Jake Brake

May 31, 2013
Earth
✟15,450.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
The pastor is judging a member of his congregation. I mean, the nerve of someone to insult someone who comes to their church in front of everyone else. It just blows my mind.

Check out the church before you complain about how those people walk in the Spirit is what I'm saying.
Any one who goes there knows what the standards are. And brother it sure looks like they tow a tight line and I respect them for that. Apparently not everyone goes to heaven, and not every one may like Immanuel (God is With Us) Baptist Church.

To me this Baptist church is a meat & potatoes church, not an sweet tea and skittles church like so many are these days.

Honestly, what type of Christian would rebuke this pastor or congregation after reading a short secular sponsored article? I would think that Christians would stand together and work out flaws in private, if any.

Welcome to Immanuel Baptist Church
Dr. Jim Standridge, Senior Pastor
pastor1-web.jpg

Dr. Jim Standridge is not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill pastor. When it comes to preaching a gospel of change and higher living, we are not engaged in a run-of-the-mill relationship. Bro. Jim's style is Spirit-led, encouraging, and practical, engaging the believer in matters of the heart and barring no word in confronting the follower of Christ on issues of sin and iniquity. Bro. Jim toes the line, counsels with the Word of God, and has a heart for God and the church. Bill R. Bowman, Associate Pastor
bill.bmp

Bro. Bill Bowman came to the Associate Pastorship from the life of a cowboy, bringing with him a unique perspective on the Word of God and a wealth of hard-imparted Godly wisdom. Where Bro. Jim is the prophetic preacher and counselor, Bro. Bill is a common-sense church administrator and the keeper of order. He specializes in counseling and sees and hears God in a powerful way in everyday life.

Upvote 0

Motor City Christian

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Translation: We are going to beat you over the head with legalism whenever we can. We would make the Pharisees blush if they were here. We see you when you're sinning; we know when you're awake.

It would be funny if it weren't true.

Yet, they forget "Judge not, lest ye be judged". I don't see anywhere saying that excludes pastors.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Check out the church before you complain about how those people walk in the Spirit is what I'm saying.
Any one who goes there knows what the standards are. And brother it sure looks like they tow a tight line and I respect them for that. Apparently not everyone goes to heaven, and not every one may like Immanuel (God is With Us) Baptist Church.

Legalism is not a good way to shepherd a church.

To me this Baptist church is a meat & potatoes church, not an sweet tea and skittles church like so many are these days.
It's a law-based church. You need equal parts law and equal parts gospel. What this pastor did is NOT part of the gospel.

Honestly, what type of Christian would rebuke this pastor or congregation after reading a short secular sponsored article? I would think that Christians would stand together and work out flaws in private, if any.
I would rebuke this pastor. The video is judged on its own merit.

Which really proves nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Upvote 0

Jake Brake

May 31, 2013
Earth
✟15,450.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Legalism is not a good way to shepherd a church.

It's a law-based church. You need equal parts law and equal parts gospel. What this pastor did is NOT part of the gospel.

I would rebuke this pastor. The video is judged on its own merit.

Which really proves nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Ok, I see your point of view. But I agree with it and they have the right message, get right with God or get out.

I have no idea how you are using 'legalism' here when we know nothing about the church from video or short article. Nor see how anyone can rebuke any one from this edited video or short article. Maybe it's because they have Baptist in there church name that caused an inward bias to speak out, I don't know. There is a lot of that religious bias going around these days.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@ Jake Brake

The pastor told someone he stated is the real deal to get right with YWHY or get out? Is the pastor telling the man to get out? You prefer those who have the drama targeted at them without knowing why get out.

The pastor did not study up on Genesis 14 or the Scriptures leading up to or after. Had he done so he would be grateful for the spiritual battle that took place. He would be thankful that Abram kept an eye on spiritually swaying Lot. That Abram entered into a spiritual, and extremely tactical, battle for Lot and brought him back.

No matter what demonination a pastor is, each may be subjected to temptation from satan the world or the flesh if prevention beforehand has not been exercised. Even if they exercise preventitve measures beforehand, I have been encouraged to pray for them in many ways that enable them to stand firm in faith.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Jesus (and Pastor Standridge) said, "It's my way or the highway." (Paraphrased of course.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's a church? That's not anything. Some people actually waste their time with something like that? If they do it has to be out of a misplaced sense of guilt. That's a rant that has nothing to do with anything. Where is the liturgy? Where's the Eucharist? Where is the gospel? If he had any issues with his parishioners then it could be addressed privately or even during confession. No, thank you. I needn't wonder where atheists come from- and can hardly fault them if this is what some are raised in.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Jesus (and Pastor Standridge) said, "It's my way or the highway." (Paraphrased of course.)

Only Jesus knew the true hearts of the people. And only Jesus' way is right.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
His demeanor? That's a pretty big inference to make into details we have no access to.

That's correct. We don't have any of the details. But I think it's prudent to give the pastor the benefit of any doubt. Private counseling would have given him very clear insight into the hearts of those he is lambasting in the video. It is also clear that something had taken place that offended him and his office as pastor rather seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have not watched the video yet, but I will. The one quote that gets me from the newssite is ""You're not worth 15 cents..."

In the eyes of God, we are all priceless. We are not perfect, but we are all valued enough by God that he gave his ONLY begotten Son. Not just for the pastors and saints, but for each one of us, no matter how low, how much we sin, or how much someone feels we are worth.

If the Pastor feels this way, then I hope he adheres to biblical principles and approaches it in private and follows up with his Deacons as needed. (Matthew 5:23-24) If he publicly condemns his congregation without having first approached it privately more than once, it is not a church I would want to attend.

Upvote 0

Jake Brake

May 31, 2013
Earth
✟15,450.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
@ Jake Brake

The pastor told someone he stated is the real deal to get right with YWHY or get out? Is the pastor telling the man to get out? You prefer those who have the drama targeted at them without knowing why get out.

The pastor did not study up on Genesis 14 or the Scriptures leading up to or after. Had he done so he would be grateful for the spiritual battle that took place. He would be thankful that Abram kept an eye on spiritually swaying Lot. That Abram entered into a spiritual, and extremely tactical, battle for Lot and brought him back.

No matter what demonination a pastor is, each may be subjected to temptation from satan the world or the flesh if prevention beforehand has not been exercised. Even if they exercise preventitve measures beforehand, I have been encouraged to pray for them in many ways that enable them to stand firm in faith.
Just bet you and that pastor have different interpretations. You speak as if you know the guy, then you judge him, then you rebuke him. This is everything you didn't like about the pastor, and you are doing it.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just bet you and that pastor have different interpretations. You speak as if you know the guy, then you judge him, then you rebuke him. This is everything you didn't like about the pastor, and you are doing it.

By not addressing what I said or asked, which everyone is used to, you are neglecting to contribute.

Discernment is not judgement.

I am addressing how the pastor stated in the video that the man to be wed is the real deal after he targeted him. I asked you did the pastor say or intend for that man who he said is the real deal to get out. Either way what the pastor has done in the video does not make sense. If there was a private meeting and what was said offended the pastor, the pastor would not have send the man to be wed was the real deal.

I also brought up Genesis 14 to demonstrate how I expect others to value Scripture and authority. This pastor did not demonstrate his authority in the video.

A reminder about the importance of prayer for pastors (and their families) was on my mind too.

My actions involve discernment, compassion and a sincerity to block any activity that takes away from the glory of YWHY.

Now if you want to discuss it, please address why the pastor wants the man to be wed out even though he stated he is the real deal.

Upvote 0

Jake Brake

May 31, 2013
Earth
✟15,450.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
By not addressing what I said or asked, which everyone is used to, you are neglecting to contribute.

Discernment is not judgement.

I am addressing how the pastor stated in the video that the man to be wed is the real deal after he targeted him. I asked you did the pastor say or intend for that man who he said is the real deal to get out. Either way what the pastor has done in the video does not make sense. If there was a private meeting and what was said offended the pastor, the pastor would not have send the man to be wed was the real deal.

I also brought up Genesis 14 to demonstrate how I expect others to value Scripture and authority. This pastor did not demonstrate his authority in the video.

A reminder about the importance of prayer for pastors (and their families) was on my mind too.

My actions involve discernment, compassion and a sincerity to block any activity that takes away from the glory of YWHY.

Now if you want to discuss it, please address why the pastor wants the man to be wed out even though he stated he is the real deal.
your entitled to your opinion and interpretation.

Upvote 0