US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
First there was “get woke, go broke.” Now there’s a flip side — “get canceled, top the charts.”

Country star Jason Aldean’s song “Try That in a Small Town” had its video pulled by CMT earlier this week after days of attacks accusing it of racism and gun fetishism.

By Wednesday, the song had hit No. 1 on the U.S. iTunes chart, according to Billboard magazine.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I googled the lyrics. I see no redeeming characteristic in them, at all.
ymmv
I see no redeeming characteristics in woke lawlessness.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Courthouse that everyone is making a big deal about was also used in a Disney movie. No one seemed to notice then

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Sowing the wind? :scratch:

It must be lost in translation.
Yes. It must. Funny, you would think that a Bible quote you would be familiar with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I see nothing redeeming in tilting at windmills, which is what most of the outrage about "wokeness" is. It's a distraction from substantive political and cultural engagement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I see nothing redeeming in tilting at windmills, which is what most of the outrage about "wokeness" is. It's a distraction from substantive political and cultural engagement.
Before the current regime took office; they were burning down the villages with their mostly peaceful protests.

Having your house or business burned down does distract us from daily life.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I would post a link to a video of that song, but considering the lyrics, I'd probably get a GPM or a warning.

I can see part of the appeal of the video. Saying that in a small town, people protect each other against criminals is a somewhat positive statement when taken at face value. But in the lyrics, the "defense" is also directed against speech protected by the first amendement (like burning a flag or swearing at cops). There's also some good old "they're going to take our guns" rhetoric thrown in. The whole thing smacks of support of vigilantilism and mob rule.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Candace Owens posted on this on Youtube in a video called

Is Jason Aldean Going To Lynch Me?!​

I just caught it today. It has some language in it so I wouldn't link to her video podcast. But the language comes in when she begins to read the lyrics in a song that is number 7 on the bilboard hot 100s at around 16:22 minutes in (by a Gunna, whoever that is) I don't know, never heard of him. The lyrics read more like a male version of that vile Wap song by Cardi B .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Candace Owens posted on this on Youtube in a video called

Is Jason Aldean Going To Lynch Me?!​

I just caught it today. It has some language in it so I wouldn't link to her video podcast. But the language comes in when she begins to read the lyrics in a song that is number 7 on the bilboard hot 100s at around 16:22 minutes in (by a Gunna, whoever that is) I don't know, never heard of him. The lyrics read more like a male version of that vile Wap song by Cardi B .
Is a woke mob going to lynch me?

Which case do you suppose has a higher probability?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What would this have to do with Ancient Israel?

When does anything ever have to do with ancient Israel in the news, politics, or science sections, yet I get those OT quote ALL THE TIME.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
First there was “get woke, go broke.” Now there’s a flip side — “get canceled, top the charts.”

Country star Jason Aldean’s song “Try That in a Small Town” had its video pulled by CMT earlier this week after days of attacks accusing it of racism and gun fetishism.

By Wednesday, the song had hit No. 1 on the U.S. iTunes chart, according to Billboard magazine.

There is nothing 'anti-woke' about the song. Being 'woke' does not mean you pull guns on store owners or sucker punch people or carjack people.

Prior to the last few years, to be 'woke' meant to be empathetic, and socially aware. It was used by the black community for about 100 years, using it in discussing atrocities towards blacks.

In recent years, the right has hijacked the word, and created big strawmen where they heap all manner of awful claims to what it means, totally ignoring how it was used for about 80 years before that. It is the current thing to scream about - as in !!!:mad: wokeness:mad:!!!

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know if it invoke lynching or not, but there sure is a lot of angry posing and menacing towards outsiders.

And BTW, what kind of "small" town did he film that in? He was miming performance in front of a three story building *3 STORIES*. That ain't a small town. I grew up outside a small town and there wasn't anything taller than 2 stories except the water tower and the grain elevator.

Upvote 0