✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
twistedsketch said:
Has anybody seen the Japanese version of Trigun? The American version, it seems, cuts out most of the action entirely. Does the Japanese version have more action in it? And if so, where can I find it?

Most new anime doesn't have anything cut out of it. It's the TV censors that cut it out. The DVD releases won't have anything cut out of them, unless you look at one the notorious 'butchered' series, such as Sailor Moon (or the 'cut' versions of Dragonball Z or Gundam Wing, which were mainly issued on tape, not DVD; well, except for the Toonami version of Endless Waltz, which had all the blood and cussing edited out. I meant to order the Special Edition of Endless Waltz, and Barnes and Noble's website sends me the Toonami edition; I had to return it and buy the proper one over at Suncoast). And the original Japanese dialog track is on the Trigun DVDs, so you can just switch over to that, bring up the English subtitles, and watch it nearly the same way it was originally shown (nearly, since there weren't English subtitles originally). So basically, you can find the Japanese version on any American DVD release because they package the original audio with it. And since Pioneer was in charge of releasing Trigun in the States, it didn't get censored for DVD release. Pioneer doesn't censor their DVDs (I know they picked up Sailor Moon after DiC folded, but I don't think they continued the same practices, or if they did, it was just for that series).

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, agreed with Qyöt27, blame CN, not Pioneer, LOL. :D Yeah, if you want to see the original, buy the DVDs. I wish I could LOL, but I've got a wallet so empty one could grow nice cobwebs in it ^^

Oh, and if you want to see what was taken out by CN in text, check out the Anime News Network's edit lists. :) NOTE: DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT post the edited material here for discussion. That might get you, and I, in trouble. ^^

One more comment: Do not, and I repeat, do not buy the $25-$45 boxsets unless you know what you're wasting your money on, LOL. Those are invariably bootlegs or even bootlegs of fansubs-and I've heard from reliable sources that the subtitling is Engrishy and not done well at all. Not only that, the collector's value is somewhere between that of a pebble and a piece of random garbage. ;) If you're going to buy, save up your $25 a few months and get the licensed official box set or the individual licensed DVDs. ^_^

Upvote 0

Lucent

For the Birds
Mar 3, 2004
Texas
✟622.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Susan said:
If you're going to buy, save up your $25 a few months and get the licensed official box set or the individual licensed DVDs. ^_^

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but in the US Geneon has started to do a re-release of some of it's older popular series, Trigun being one of them. The new DVDs are the exact same as the original releases (except for the big red "Geneon" banner across the top of the case), and the new price is $20 US. You might even find it for $16-$17 on sale. Just thought you might want to know.

Upvote 0

Asur

Feb 27, 2004
✟145.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lucent said:
I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but in the US Geneon has started to do a re-release of some of it's older popular series, Trigun being one of them. The new DVDs are the exact same as the original releases (except for the big red "Geneon" banner across the top of the case), and the new price is $20 US. You might even find it for $16-$17 on sale. Just thought you might want to know.

He's talking about the boxset (all 8 dvds), not individually, and if you are talking about a box set then for $20 it is invariably bootleg.

Upvote 0