Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And I didn't realize that Japanese people have been in America that long. Guess I always thought that the Japanese here were 1st, or 2nd generation at most, during WWII.
During WWII, both the US and Canadian government, especially on the west coast and also in major cities, rounded up people of Japanese heritage (US/Canadian citizens or not), confiscated their homes and businesses, and forced them to live in internment camps in the middle of the continent, away from any population, until the war was over. Our governments treated Japanese-Americans and Japanese-Canadians like absolute crap. A lot of the Japanese decedents on North America are decedents of those people who were treated so terribly.

Also, what's a decent central location to meet up with people at? I have a couple friends from Japan coming to visit me from Yokohama while I'm there, but they don't know much about Tokyo at all. They suggested Tokyo Station, but I don't know. It looks like the best for me coming from Narita.
Tokyo Station would be ok. If they are coming from Yokohama, Shibuya would also be convenient. Tokyo station has the emperor's palace area, and Shibuya has the famous street crossing with all the people. Both are good places, but Shibuya might be slightly more convenient for someone coming from Yokohama.

If you go to Super Potato, you will find a TON of Super Famicom stuff. The SNES is great, because it plays Super Famicom games with no trouble at all once the tabs are cut. N64 also.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I did know that about the aftermath of Pear Harbor. I just thought that the Japanese wasn't here at all until a generation before WWII at most.

I also didn't know that about N64, which is quite awesome. I don't own an N64, so it wouldn't mean much to me now, but that's good to know for the future.

I'll let my friend's know.

Upvote 0

Tomo_Tsu

Japanese-American
May 1, 2011
Washington State
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My apologies. I didn't mean any offense by it. I was merely using it as a historical reference point.

Hope you get to feeling better!!

Not your fault. Ehh my meds suck. Prednisone is an evil drug. I have medical marijuana access and it seem to be the only thing that works. Was playing some battlefield 1943 in PS3 earlier...got 22 kills in a round! Never did that before.

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I also didn't know that about N64, which is quite awesome. I don't own an N64, so it wouldn't mean much to me now, but that's good to know for the future.
Do yourself a favour if you have a chance and pick up Sin & Punishment for the N64. It's a lot cheaper to buy in Japan than to import it from a seller. As you know from the SNES, it is a VERY easy region-mod to perform.

とも_つ said:
Sometimes I wish I was born a white girl.
Be proud of your heritage. My daughter is half-Japanese and I would never wish otherwise. Remember that God made you who are you. :)

Ehh my meds suck. Prednisone is an evil drug. I have medical marijuana access and it seem to be the only thing that works. Was playing some battlefield 1943 in PS3 earlier...got 22 kills in a round! Never did that before.
Stuff like Prednisone is terrible. I'm sorry you are not well enough that you are being prescribed such a thing. More natural medications like marijuana are often much less harmful on one's body then the chemical compounds pushed by the gov't back pharmaceutical companies. Hopefully you are able to make the best of your situation.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Yeah, but I'll probably wait for a while to get a N64 anyway, from here. But at least that option is available. Got to love the old days when it was merely physical lockouts on regional games. I would rather have region free like the PS3 over anything, but, I'm still with the 360.

@ Tomo, I agree. I can't imagine being on meds like that myself. I don't even like the thought of your basic antibiotics in my system. Marijuana was put on this earth for a reason, and now that we are seeing the actually medical benefits it provides, I am becoming a stronger proponent for medicinal marijuana. It may a double-edged sword, but considering what big pharma puts out, I feel safer with marijuana on the market vs. other things. Like Marijuana vs. Lortab? I couldn't even be bothered to move away from a widow while watching a storm pull down trees in my front yard while on Lortab two years ago.

And I agree with Breetai on being proud of your heritage. I honestly wish I had some semblance of my heritage, all I have a bits and pieces, having way too many nationalities involved in my makeup. So all I am is American; I really have no motherland to attach myself to.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
rush-limbaugh-oxycodone-ad.jpg

But seriously, any doctor worth their salt would deter any patient away from crap like this. Unfortunately, many do not. Sadly, it is because they are either uneducated on the effects or... they just don't care. There was recently an NHL player who died because of oxys. I would suspect the wrestler, the Macho Man, who recently died due to a heart attack had a lot to do with medications (self medication or prescribed).

Wow... talk about off-topic!

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Yeah, off topic, but I haven't heard a definite report that Macho Man died of a heartattack yet. I heard about the wreck, but I haven't heard conclusively that it was because his heart stopped yet.

Anyway, Japan. Well, in an attempt to get back on topic, leaving for Korea in 32 hours!

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You'd have to live there for a while to get it. You won't get hit full on as a tourist.

If you want culture shock as a tourist, go to China or, even better, India and stay in an average hotel and eat at average restaurants.
Being a tourist generally doesn't allow you to experience the full effects of culture shock. You have to stay there for a bit longer than your average vacation.

Why? Please don't say anime or manga...

Did someone say Weeaboo? Because I think someone just said Weeaboo!

:cry:Sometimes I wish I was born a white girl. I get so sick of the WWII bits. It's like people talk to me like it happened yesterday. Sorry. Im not in a good mood today. My crohns is acting up this morning

Japanese girls rock. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Dumb ideas about WWII run rampant on both sides of the Pacific. Best way to deal with it is just to ignore it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Japanese girls rock. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Ummm... Tomo probably rocks, but I would NOT say that "Japanese girls rock" in general. They are just human, and a LOT of them are VERY materialistic. That doesn't rock at all.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Ummm... Tomo probably rocks, but I would NOT say that "Japanese girls rock" in general. They are just human, and a LOT of them are VERY materialistic. That doesn't rock at all.

Amen, and there's a lot of Asian men saying that western girls rock, but a lot of them don't have the guts to approach them. And they'd find that they can be just as (if not more) materialistic than their native women.

It's the same here in Korea. Materialism and such. You could lump in women from pretty much anywhere and it would apply when we talk about this.

And I agree on the ignorance about WWII. Americans locked up Japanese in internment camps, and Japan still denies their responsibility in getting A-bombed, to the point where they basically educate their people that Japan was off on their own, minding their business, then American imperialists nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki. No mention of Pearl Harbor, no mention of what was happening in Korea and Manchuria during that time. We could debate which is worse, but honestly, I think the oxymoron of America fighting in Germany for the freedom of an entire people group while locking away an entire people group of our own domestically speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's the same here in Korea. Materialism and such. You could lump in women from pretty much anywhere and it would apply when we talk about this.
Yeah, but at least I found a lot more Christians in Korea. That was my experience from spending a year there.

I think the oxymoron of America fighting in Germany for the freedom of an entire people group while locking away an entire people group of our own domestically speaks for itself.
The Japanese internment camps were a heck of a lot better than the Nazi death camps. At least they came out alive! It was a program to imprison people based out of fear and security (although misguided and wrong), as opposed to a program of eugenics and genocide.

Upvote 0

Tomo_Tsu

Japanese-American
May 1, 2011
Washington State
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm too broke to be materialistic lol I like camping, fishing and 4 wheelin during the summer months. Although fuel for hauling all the gear gets expensive. Sooner or later I'll be getting a hefty bill from the hospital :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Fair enough. Materialism is a big problem in quite a lot of modernized countries, but I've heard it's quite rampant in Japan.

On a different topic, the Japanese probably shouldn't make death metal
YouTube - ‪Why The Japanese Shouldnt Sing Death Metal‬‏

Of course there are some good Jmetal bands out there. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Yeah, but at least I found a lot more Christians in Korea. That was my experience from spending a year there.
Right, but even in the churches it can run high. Probably not as high as Japan, but it's rather noticeable.

The Japanese internment camps were a heck of a lot better than the Nazi death camps. At least they came out alive! It was a program to imprison people based out of fear and security (although misguided and wrong), as opposed to a program of eugenics and genocide.

I wasn't saying that the internment camps were worse than the concentration camps. I was merely stating the hypocrisy in it. And to be honest, Hitler was the main one who was focused on eugenics and genocide. The only reason he got away with it is that he played off German's fear and insecurity over an unstable economy by blaming their economic woes on the Jews. So it is still within a similar vein.

Makes me wonder if, by the end of it, anyone there didn't take a step back, see what was happening, and say "This isn't what I signed on for."

Anyway, getting off topic again.

tomo: You sound like my mom, all into camping and stuff. She wasn't like that when I was growing up, just got into it after I moved away. If she had been, perhaps I'd be heavily into it too.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
...Hitler was the main one who was focused on eugenics and genocide.
Those things were fairly widespread, and still are (although more veiled now). Hitler wasn't the main one, just one of the most visual. You have heard of Charles Darwin, haven't you? The Japanese were heavily into Eugenics at the time as well. Noticeable portions of the population still are. The Uyoku you see around Japan have their routes in a similar ideology.

Makes me wonder if, by the end of it, anyone there didn't take a step back, see what was happening, and say "This isn't what I signed on for."
Plenty did. There were numerous assassination attempts on Hitler from his own Nazis/SS.

Upvote 0

Tomo_Tsu

Japanese-American
May 1, 2011
Washington State
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So what're you guys up to this weekend? Next weekend i'm gonna go camping! Up by Lake Chelan..gonna kick ass! go boating..and the whole bit...Speaking of Japan..I got some relatives coming up here Wednesday from Japan it's something we do every year..and they usually stay until after 4th of July. Uncle Ichi and Aunt Aki with all my cousins... It's like a big Japanese Fiesta..we call it that because my mexican friends around us can't keep up with us as far as the drinking and "other" *cough* partying goes..lol

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So what're you guys up to this weekend? Next weekend i'm gonna go camping! Up by Lake Chelan..gonna kick ass! go boating..and the whole bit...Speaking of Japan..I got some relatives coming up here Wednesday from Japan it's something we do every year..and they usually stay until after 4th of July. Uncle Ichi and Aunt Aki with all my cousins... It's like a big Japanese Fiesta..we call it that because my mexican friends around us can't keep up with us as far as the drinking and "other" *cough* partying goes..lol
Visiting relatives. :)

What do you mean about "other" partying? :D

Upvote 0