Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What? Oh man! That's quite a surprise. I really thought that these people really crave for them that much. My expectation was around 25 % of that country really are onto that but I guess I am wrong.
Sarcasm is hard to see on an internet forum, so I'll just assume that we're both being sarcastic here.

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Truly Loved... as are you.
Sep 28, 2008
On a planet that needs healing.
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
I don't think you'd be driving from Tokyo to Kyoto. Most people don't do that! The train, or maybe the bus, is the way to go. Take the bullet train, and you're there in less than two and a half hours. Drive, and it'll take you 7-12 hours depending on traffic plus driving can be stressful here. It's not like America. The price is about the same whether you drive or take the train, not including the rather huge parking fees/drop off fees (if renting). Include that stuff, and the train is much cheaper!

I've hired a car and driven from Fukuoka to Hiroshima before. While fun, I didn't save any money from the train and it took longer.
I see then, you're right. I was just talking about Japan with my grandmother today, and was explaining to her that trains go pretty much everywhere in Japan. I can't wait to see it there. I love the fact that public transportation is so much more common there, because it really helps reduce the clutter of cars (like here in the US) and eliminates traffic problems. Not to mention, to even drive in Japan, I'd have to relearn most things because they drive on the left side of the road instead of the right. :p I prefer walking/biking anyway, because it's so much healthier and so much cheaper.

Recently, I've also been looking up mountains in Japan and I found that I want to visit Mt. Fuji san and Mt. Nantai san.

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The roads in Japan are infinitely more cluttered than in the US. Roads are designed rather poorly; thin, few lanes and often going nowhere useful. It can take 8 hours just to drive 200miles... on the Freeway! Public transportation does not eliminate traffic problems here.

But, if you do some, using trains is definitely the way to go. It's not really cheap, but it's extremely efficient.

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
That's crazy, 8 hours? Woah. Also, I meant the trains eliminate traffic. Or is there a lot of clustered train traffic too? o.o

And I see. I'll definitely use trains there. Thanks for the helpful info! :)

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Or is there a lot of clustered train traffic too? o.o
You have no idea...

Here's a map of the train lines for the entire Tokyo Metro Area (most maps only have train lines for one company instead of everything, making navigation very confusing for a tourist):

TokyoTrainMap.jpg

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
Oh my gosh... That's incredible. Just looking at it makes my head spin. So many dots and crossing lines! I really don't have any idea how that can be navigated well at all... but of course, I don't live there, so yeah. XD

Japan: Trains > Cars

And of course, Tokyo is in the middle of the most chaos. :p

Reactions: Breetai
Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Whaaat? That's not even all of them?? @.@

Tokyo is just a big train station, then. XD
Tokyo Station is pretty big, but all of these stations are in Tokyo or its subburbs.
This map is probably 200km from east to west, as that's how large Tokyo Metropolitan area is with its 36 million people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sapphire Dragon

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
Ahh, I see then. That makes much more sense. That's a pretty large area, so the amount of train tracks is at least understandable when the best method of transportation is a train. XD

But still, all that interlacing... just wow! XD

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
Woah! That's amazing. I knew the train stations must be busy every day, but I never thought both the busiest and second busiest according to the big Guinness Book of World Records itself would be in Japan. Of course, now that I think about it... it does make sense, too. :p

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Woah! That's amazing. I knew the train stations must be busy every day, but I never thought both the busiest and second busiest according to the big Guinness Book of World Records itself would be in Japan. Of course, now that I think about it... it does make sense, too. :p
They're only about a 6 minute train ride from each other. What did you expect in the biggest city in the world?

The largest train station in the world is also in Japan; Nagoya Station.

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
A 6 minute train ride from each other? Wow. XD That's amazing. And that's true- you have a point about that.

I see. I can see Japan is extremely famous for its train stations. I had a hunch before, but never the hard, complete facts of it. :p I do know that there's a sea of people 24/7 in the heart of Tokyo though, because I've seen videos of the seemingly infinite amounts of people crossing the street at the crosswalks nonstop. It amazes me that so many people have to go so many places at the same time, all together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A 6 minute train ride from each other? Wow. XD That's amazing. And that's true- you have a point about that.

I see. I can see Japan is extremely famous for its train stations. I had a hunch before, but never the hard, complete facts of it. :p I do know that there's a sea of people 24/7 in the heart of Tokyo though, because I've seen videos of the seemingly infinite amounts of people crossing the street at the crosswalks nonstop. It amazes me that so many people have to go so many places at the same time, all together.
Check out some youtube videos of train "pushers"; station staff who push people into the trains so everyone can fit during rush hours. It's crazy.

YouTube - A Train in Japan- Reserved Seats...
Personally, I don't see that often, but I have a few times. Absolutely insane. I can recognize the train; Sobu-Chuo line (or Musashino line), probably heading into Tokyo for the morning commute.

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
I can't watch Youtube videos on this internet, but that sounds amazing. I would have never imagined there are train pushers in Japan to get people in trains on time. o.o Seeing that in real time has to be crazy, like you said. And I thought I've been in bad traffic before! Just woah. That's so interesting.

Upvote 0

HolyWarrior77

For we all have a Father!
Feb 21, 2009
✟8,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Check out some youtube videos of train "pushers"; station staff who push people into the trains so everyone can fit during rush hours. It's crazy.

YouTube - A Train in Japan- Reserved Seats...
Personally, I don't see that often, but I have a few times. Absolutely insane. I can recognize the train; Sobu-Chuo line (or Musashino line), probably heading into Tokyo for the morning commute.
Heh heh, have you seen the 'female only' train cars? ;)

Upvote 0