Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cakeshop Refuses to Bake a Birthday Cake for Transgendered Person

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians get a whole entire Eternity without LGBT(etc) folk.
Hint: you don’t get that to start early.

Thats an overreaction of yours and doesn't address what we were discussing, also a christian can believe in lgbt being a sin, and also would like to help them know the love of God, and treat them fairly. So you are generalizing making Christians try to look bad.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Thats an overreaction of yours and doesn't address what we were discussing, also a christian can believe in lgbt being a sin, and also would like to help them know the love of God, and treat them fairly. So you are generalizing making Christians try to look bad.
I will allow Christians to do their own damage, shall I?
Fine.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Basically here you say anyone christian is a bigot because they believe lgbt stuff to be sin.
Not all Christians believe that. And many Christians have no difficulty simultaneously being Christian and serving gay people -- just as they have no difficulty serving thieves, adulterers, idolators, greedy and vain people. As I hear it, everybody's a sinner. Most businesses manage to tolerate all kinds of sinners as customers.

Only a very small fraction of Christians are refusing services to certain groups of people. Tolerant of most sinners, but intolerant of a particular group. That meets the definition of bigot.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
So if you don't follow my ideology you are a "bigot" that the way it is now, and... please you are fired thanks too. This is balloney if you don't see it.
Think about what you are posting. You are saying that if essentialsaltes would just discriminate against the people you want him to then he wouldn't be a bigot. Do you hear yourself?

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Except there already cases of people losing jobs just because not supporting for some reason or just stating what they believe, without attacking anyone verbally or physically.

Basically here you say anyone christian is a bigot because they believe lgbt stuff to be sin.
real concrete examples please.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Gluttony is a sin. is it all right for your baker to refuse to make a wedding cake for a pudgy couple?
Not Being a Christain is a sin. it is all right for your baker to refuse to make a wedding cake for a Jewish couple
Many view interracial marriage as a sin and assuming your baker also sincerely believes that is it all right for him to make a wedding cake for an interracial couple?
Remarriage after divorce is a sin. Having tattoos is a sin. Refusing to impregnate your widowed sister in law is a sin. Is it OK to discriminate against any of these people?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except there already cases of people losing jobs just because not supporting for some reason or just stating what they believe, without attacking anyone verbally or physically.

People have lost jobs for "not supporting" something for decades. I seem to recall, several years ago on this forum, there was a man fired from a job for not participating in the employer's morning Bible study. There is a thread on the News and Current Events forum for a girl kicked out of a Christian school for eating a rainbow-colored cake.

For me, I keep being reminded of the parable of the Good Samaritan. In this case, Samaritans were considered basically as LGBT are today, the worst kind of evil that Jews, of that time period, discriminated against and justified it because "evil Samaritans." I tend to believe Christ would have had no issue baking the cake, despite the fact it would be used by a sinner -- and the Pharisees would have criticized Christ, once again, for not discriminating against sinners.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Shoe pinches on the other foot does it?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I’m not against all laws. Some laws are necessary to protect the safety and welfare of other. But if a black-owned business doesn’t want to sell items to white folks, they should be able to make that choice.
I guess you're welcome to that opinion. I mean, we tried it and it failed horribly, but being factually wrong doesn't mean the opinion doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Looks like an example of business owners being able to do whatever they want, which interestingly enough, was cited in this thread as a Good Thing (tm) when the whatever was discriminating against minority groups.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Interesting assertion. Weird there's no facts or evidence presented to attempt to convince people the assertion has any basis in fact.
Outside of everything I’ve stated, you are correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I guess you're welcome to that opinion. I mean, we tried it and it failed horribly, but being factually wrong doesn't mean the opinion doesn't exist.
The only way it fails is when it’s not allowed to happen. And it really hasn’t been allowed.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Only a very small fraction of Christians are refusing services to certain groups of people. Tolerant of most sinners, but intolerant of a particular group. That meets the definition of bigot.
And point 2 is that very few Christians believe that they are to operate businesses and break the societal laws governing operating businesses.

I understand the position of those who believe that the laws are wrong and that conscience requires that they violate the law. Such folks should have no issue with being arrested, fined and serving jail time for violating the law.

Upvote 0