Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think we have had enough of such arguments by bare assertions. For Rome, to obey Jesus Christ is necessarily to obey the RCC in all its official teachings, which include submission to the pope above all. For EOs, it is to obey their church:

First of all, submission to the pope (or anyone else, even Jesus, even Hitler) is given by an act of will, and not by the whip and chain. The worst that the whip and chain may do is to frighten an individual into taking an action that he would not normally do. The Sword may take my life, but it will not make me submit to anything I don't want to do. In the end, the bearers of the sword will have my lifeless body, NOT my obedience.

Pope Leo XIII, in Sapientiae Christianae: "But the supreme teacher in the Church is the Roman Pontiff. Union of minds, therefore, requires, together with a perfect accord in the one faith, complete submission and obedience of will to the Church and to the Roman Pontiff, as to God Himself. This obedience should, however, be perfect...(and) must consequently be accepted without wavering.... Pope Leo XIII, in Sapientiae Christianae (On Christians As Citizens), Encyclical promulgated on January 10, 1890, #22-24. SAPIENTIAE CHRISTIANAE

Done by skillfully misquoting. A masterful job! But the misquote misses all of the good stuff, such as the Pope is teaching about faith, the same faith that you say I must have in order to be saved; faith in Jesus Christ. You didn't mention that at all.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea how at a theological level. What I suggest is that political expediency requires the Roman church to show equanimity and the impartialiy that it knows to be an attribute of God to those who have not heard the gospel, or are "born in another faith," but to those who reject the Roman Church knowning something of God, it displays aggression and hostility, by pretending that they cannot have the Holy Spirit by virtue of not partaking in its sacraments.

Incidentally there are still many Roman Catholics who remain scandalized by John Paul II's participation in an African pagan ceremony, and some would say, syncretism, so it may be the Roman church's favourable attitude to atheists and pagans and protestants is more one of lip service and political expediency rather than any genuine belief.

This is indeed the problem with Rome - how to separate politics and faith. It becomes ever more difficult, and now the Romans claim that Islam, which is a legacy of heretical monarchianism, is on a par with Christianity. The mind boggles. The bible knows nothing of it.
There are Catholics scandalized today because the media (some of media even Catholic member driven) often likes to portray the Pope saying or doing something they like (which is always contrasted against the Church -as in saying he is trying to change the wayward "course" of the Church) or they are portraying him as opposed to "better" or "more modern" elements within the Church. Either way the Pope and the Church loses by those false portrayals.

And it is not a problem of the Church really. It is a problem with a culture and media that so desperately wants to see the tide swinging toward them that they will bend anything said or done to their favor, and if that is not possible declare the event evidence the Church remains firm in "old" traditional views. When I am on facebook a lot of time is spent defending either the Church or the Pope or both against slanderous assaults.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"The late Pope bowed down to a Black copy of “Jesus” in Angola in 1992. Soon after, his life was only sickness and sufferings."

I don't consider 2001 to be "soon." Also remember that he survived two assassination attempts, that he was 85 years old when he died, and was one of the longest reigning Popes in the history of the Catholic Church.

BTW, millions of people have venerated the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, without falling ill or other harm falling upon them.

I know that millions of people think that venerating the Black Madonna of Częstochowa is the worst kind of blasphemy. However, they are wrong.

Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Stigmata occur in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches because we encourage holiness, a continued growth in the Holy Spirit, a constant Theosis, and so on. I've seen the "holiness," etc. of Protestant people--even Holiness Pentecostals. Never have I seen ONE that I could compare with Padre Pio or St. Francis. When the Protestant churches begin producing authentic stigmatics, then I will argue with you on the subject.

When the bible speaks of sharing in Christ's sufferings, it is talking about being mistreated, evil spoken of and persecuted by the enemies of God on earth. God Himself does not torture or traumatize his own people.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
images

The flaming and goading
that has been going on in this thread;
As a clean-up of bad posts was done;
or more violations may ensue
Carry On
but nicely
like your on a Christian site.

oh wait; we are!!!​

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are you really going to go through his life with a fine toothed comb for each and every miracle? Just because it isn't in the Bible doesn't mean that a gift is not from God. I've heard of women lifting up cars to get to their trapped baby. Yes, adrenaline, but even that is God given.

We are told that there will be struggles, there will be temptations, there will be tribulation, but any of the Apostles reporting that some saint had the same wounds as Christ or they themselves had the wounds of Christ, is absent from scripture

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh! Sorry. Padre Pio was, as far as I know, a genuine Christian, flowing in the Holy Spirit. He could tell you your sins, he could know, from far off, that a person needed healing, and would pray for that person. I've heard a lot about him, and all I can see it that he was a holy man of God

First, there is no mention of the Stigmata in scripture anywhere. The concept that man can co-suffer with Christ in His crucifixion is not supported by scripture. The bible states Christ tread that path alone. .

Upvote 0

outlawState

Apr 14, 2016
Hampshire, UK
✟12,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't consider 2001 to be "soon." Also remember that he survived two assassination attempts, that he was 85 years old when he died, and was one of the longest reigning Popes in the history of the Catholic Church.

BTW, millions of people have venerated the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, without falling ill or other harm falling upon them.

I know that millions of people think that venerating the Black Madonna of Częstochowa is the worst kind of blasphemy. However, they are wrong.
I have only touched on the issues with John Paul II, which also deeply involve his philosophical work "Love and Responsibility" which presaged the Amoris laetitia of the current Pope. I believe him to have been a phlosopher-pope not a theologian-pope. Indeed he ushered in the age of the philosopher Pope, the seemingly all wise and all popular pope, yet also the doctrinally heretical pope. For biblical theology is not designed to appeal to populism, and was stated to be not popular by Christ himself, for only "a few" or the remnant would be saved, as he said.

If the Pope is very popular, then he is probably not preaching the true gospel. That error of seeking populism over doctrinal orthodoxy, of preaching philosophy over repentance, of allowing unacceptable freedom of thought and worship, I would ascribe to JPII.

I have given only the accepted politically correct version of the origin of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa. There are other non-politically correct versions out there on the web, which may be offensive.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟415,071.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have only touched on the issues with John Paul II, which also deeply involve his philosophical work "Love and Responsibility" which presaged the Amoris laetitia of the current Pope. I believe him to have been a phlosopher-pope not a theologian-pope. Indeed he ushered in the age of the philosopher Pope, the seemingly all wise and all popular pope, yet also the doctrinally heretical pope. For biblical theology is not designed to appeal to populism, and was stated to be not popular by Christ himself, for only "a few" or the remnant would be saved, as he said.

If the Pope is very popular, then he is probably not preaching the true gospel. That error of seeking populism over doctrinal orthodoxy, of preaching philosophy over repentance, of allowing unacceptable freedom of thought and worship, I would ascribe to JPII.

I have given only the accepted politically correct version of the origin of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa. There are other non-politically correct versions out there on the web, which may be offensive.
Amoris Laetitia Footnote 351 on page 237
In certain cases, this can include the help of the sacraments. Hence, “I want to remind priests that the confessional must not be a torture chamber, but rather an encounter with the Lord’s mercy” (Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium [24 November 2013], 44: AAS 105 [2013], 1038). I would also point out that the Eucharist “is not a prize for the perfect, but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak” (ibid., 47: 1039).

Luke 11:45-47
One of the lawyers answered him, ‘Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us too.’ And he said, ‘Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them. Woe to you!

Luke 10:29-37
But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbour?’ Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.” Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’ He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’​

There is no doubt that many of us who read this see in the controversial footnote of Amoris Laetitia some of the approach of Jesus who in mercy called us to follow him in the way of mercy. Jesus was concerned about those who laid heavy burdens, and demanded that tithing of the window box whilst ignoring the plight of the poor. I myself am not unsympathetic to those who want clarity, however I know when a lawyer asked for clarity Jesus said 'A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers ...'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We are told that there will be struggles, there will be temptations, there will be tribulation, but any of the Apostles reporting that some saint had the same wounds as Christ or they themselves had the wounds of Christ, is absent from scripture

How about Gal 6:17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. (KJV)

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Indeed he ushered in the age of the philosopher Pope, the seemingly all wise and all popular pope, yet also the doctrinally heretical pope.

Name the heresies--by example, and the correct name of the heresy.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That isn't a literal verse about the marks of Jesus.

Was you there, Charlee?

In other words, when did St. Paul say to you that he did NOT carry the marks of Christ?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That isn't a literal verse about the marks of Jesus.
Maybe not in everyone's opinion, but there are theologians that suggest Gal 6:17 is reference to some visible mark on Saint Paul's body. Am not sure why it would be so outrageous to believe it could happen or has happened, like any miracle it is a sign.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Maybe not in everyone's opinion, but there are theologians that suggest Gal 6:17 is reference to some visible mark on Saint Paul's body. Am not sure why it would be so outrageous to believe it could happen or has happened, like any miracle it is a sign.

I read on youtube that a true christian wouldn't be attacked the way Pio was because God would protect them-the comment was implying that Pio wasn't saved.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read on youtube that a true christian wouldn't be attacked the way Pio was because God would protect them-the comment was implying that Pio wasn't saved.
I saw a UFO and also aliens once on youtube, not sure if they were saved though.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What I posted was in reference to what Paul himself said about "bearing in his body the marks of Christ".

I mentioned nothing about this "Padre Pio" -- know nuthin about him.

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Upvote 0