New Bern
✟45,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I used to listen to this preacher a lot and I found some of the things he mentioned helpful, but I didn’t realize the great error of this one teaching until much later. For one he had the strange idea to teach the gap theory on creation and he would advocate The Old Scofield Study Bible (which I’m glad I never did buy that book). But at least one thing I learned from him that seemed to stand out uniquely as true was his teaching on cessationism. That was at least the one take away for me.

But moving on now to my comments on this video:

Would you notice what he’s doing here? He’s pointing out the error of “make Jesus Lord”. Yes, we shouldn’t tell people to make Jesus Lord because he already is. However, repenting of your sins is not a work. Confessing sin, accepting his forgiveness and requesting that he help you to obey is not a work. Notice also the YouTuber’s channel EZsalvation. And he titles the video Lordship salvation heresy. But what is heresy to these people? They think you can profess faith in Christ, be saved and be a heretic, though they would never affirm what’s known as hyper grace. They don’t wish it on anyone to be saved and then go on to live as a heretic. No instead what they teach is that they need a second act of grace, one to be saved and sealed, and they may or may not go on to be a disciple of Christ. I see no need to divide belief in Christ from disciple of Christ, as the only thing that matters is growing in that discipleship—not that some luck out and fail to see Jesus as Lord. Remember the significance of the Philippian jailer being told to believe in the LORD Jesus and you will be saved. That in itself is an act of surrender.

Reactions: DaveM

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Not familiar with Mr. McGee and his teachings. But to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. God's only condition is faith in Jesus The Messiah. when a person believes that Jesus is The promised Messiah from the prophesies of The Tanakh and trust in Jesus for Eternal Life. A person crosses over from death to life and becomes a permanent born again child of God. Why because Jesus is the resurrection and the life and one who believes this receives the life of God.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is
condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only
begotten Son of God.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believe in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I used to listen to this preacher a lot and I found some of the things he mentioned helpful, but I didn’t realize the great error of this one teaching until much later. For one he had the strange idea to teach the gap theory on creation and he would advocate The Old Scofield Study Bible (which I’m glad I never did buy that book). But at least one thing I learned from him that seemed to stand out uniquely as true was his teaching on cessationism. That was at least the one take away for me.

I think with anything or any persons teaching ….you take away what you can learn.

When I was in TX my area was about 25,000 square miles. When I wasn’t getting spun up, I was driving between locations …and frequently would hear McGee going “Through the Bible” and it was a blessing. I would rather listen to that than country…. which I can only take so much of hearing about how the “wife took the pick-up and left me with the dog and no beer”

I didn’t agree with everything he said… but it was nice to listen to…although I do agree with creation gap would have disagree with him on cessationism …but I never heard him teach on those.

Upvote 0

didactics

Church History
May 1, 2022
New Bern
✟45,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Not familiar with Mr. McGee and his teachings. But to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. God's only condition is faith in Jesus The Messiah. when a person believes that Jesus is The promised Messiah from the prophesies of The Tanakh and trust in Jesus for Eternal Life. A person crosses over from death to life and becomes a permanent born again child of God. Why because Jesus is the resurrection and the life and one who believes this receives the life of God.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is
condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only
begotten Son of God.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believe in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
The Penitent Thief

But let’s now take for example the penitent thief. Did he merely ascent to Jesus as the Christ and saw no connection to his kingship?

“Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom!"

Lk 23:42

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Penitent Thief

But let’s now take for example the penitent thief. Did he merely ascent to Jesus as the Christ and saw no connection to his kingship?

I love how when people try to support their theology, they end up using just certain parts of an account. But if the whole account/context is looked at, it can be seen that The Christ is the object of who Jesus is.

Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”
But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Upvote 0

didactics

Church History
May 1, 2022
New Bern
✟45,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I love how when people try to support their theology, they end up using just certain parts of an account. But if the whole account/context is looked at, it can be seen that The Christ is the object of who Jesus is.

Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”
But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”
My words were "merely". We don't just merely ascent to him as Christ and separate that part of him from his kingship--it's all connected. If he is the Christ (Messiah) which he is, he is doing much more than saving sinners from hell. He is saving them from their sin. To acknowledge Jesus as divine necessarily points to his authority. For he is the author of salvation.
But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. John 6:68 NKJV
Our theology doesn't need to be super, don't get me wrong. But there is in some sense (or should be) an acknowledgment that we have sinned against a holy God. For we are to recognize that sin makes us sinners, and we have to let that sink in for a moment. Yes, free grace theology (easy-believism) does teach on the subject of sin, but they think the only sin worth repenting of upon salvation is the sin of unbelief. But if just one sin deserves us a spot in hell if not pardoned for, how much more have we all practically sinned in our lifetimes because of our sin nature? In other words, we have a pretty good idea that we are in need of forgiveness for more than just the sin of unbelief. It may not always seem to be explicitly said in scripture that we need to repent of sins and trust in Christ, but it actually is abundantly clear if we are looking closely. For example, we can look at John 3:16 which is often used to refute lordship salvation. And they (advocates of non-lordship) would say, see! there is no mention of repentance of sins, only we believe as our object of faith is Christ! And while I should heartily agree, there is something missing in the equation still. Is this merely an intellectual ascent to the claims of the gospel? Or should we take into account that it says a couple verses after about the believers they "believed in the name" (Jn 3:18). But you know, this kind of trails off to anther subject of its own because I really see this as "believed in his name" (Jn 2:23) to have other meanings depending on its context. It brings into question of whether in some cases there are such things as false converts. But in the sense of its use in 3:18, I think it points to commitment (genuine commitment). But that's just my two cents.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My words were "merely". We don't just merely ascent to him as Christ and separate that part of him from his kingship--it's all connected. If he is the Christ (Messiah) which he is, he is doing much more than saving sinners from hell. He is saving them from their sin. To acknowledge Jesus as divine necessarily points to his authority. For he is the author of salvation.
But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. John 6:68 NKJV
Our theology doesn't need to be super, don't get me wrong. But there is in some sense (or should be) an acknowledgment that we have sinned against a holy God. For we are to recognize that sin makes us sinners, and we have to let that sink in for a moment. Yes, free grace theology (easy-believism) does teach on the subject of sin, but they think the only sin worth repenting of upon salvation is the sin of unbelief. But if just one sin deserves us a spot in hell if not pardoned for, how much more have we all practically sinned in our lifetimes because of our sin nature? In other words, we have a pretty good idea that we are in need of forgiveness for more than just the sin of unbelief. It may not always seem to be explicitly said in scripture that we need to repent of sins and trust in Christ, but it actually is abundantly clear if we are looking closely. For example, we can look at John 3:16 which is often used to refute lordship salvation. And they (advocates of non-lordship) would say, see! there is no mention of repentance of sins, only we believe as our object of faith is Christ! And while I should heartily agree, there is something missing in the equation still. Is this merely an intellectual ascent to the claims of the gospel? Or should we take into account that it says a couple verses after about the believers they "believed in the name" (Jn 3:18). But you know, this kind of trails off to anther subject of its own because I really see this as "believed in his name" (Jn 2:23) to have other meanings depending on its context. It brings into question of whether in some cases there are such things as false converts. But in the sense of its use in 3:18, I think it points to commitment (genuine commitment). But that's just my two cents.

Well are there verses that state, if one has commitment or obedience to Jesus they will receive eternal life.
I know many (10+) that state when a person believes in Jesus they have eternal life.

What Does It Mean to Believe in Jesus? – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Would you notice what he’s doing here? He’s pointing out the error of “make Jesus Lord”. Yes, we shouldn’t tell people to make Jesus Lord because he already is. However, repenting of your sins is not a work. Confessing sin, accepting his forgiveness and requesting that he help you to obey is not a work. Notice also the YouTuber’s channel EZsalvation. And he titles the video Lordship salvation heresy. But what is heresy to these people? They think you can profess faith in Christ, be saved and be a heretic, though they would never affirm what’s known as hyper grace. They don’t wish it on anyone to be saved and then go on to live as a heretic. No instead what they teach is that they need a second act of grace, one to be saved and sealed, and they may or may not go on to be a disciple of Christ. I see no need to divide belief in Christ from disciple of Christ, as the only thing that matters is growing in that discipleship—not that some luck out and fail to see Jesus as Lord. Remember the significance of the Philippian jailer being told to believe in the LORD Jesus and you will be saved. That in itself is an act of surrender.
I think it is great that we can still lean much of value from someone while strongly disagreeing with them on other issues.

There are many different goals for doing good works, someone of which are correct while others are not, so the issue is that people often mistake what was only said against incorrect goals as being against the correct goals. For example, trying to earn our salvation as the result of our works is an incorrect goal, but that our salvation does to require us to choose to do good works for correct goals. For instance, there are many verses like Romans 4:1-5 that speak against earning our justification as a wage and many verses like Romans 2:13 that say that only doers of God's law will be justified, so there must be goals for which our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith insofar as Romans 3:31 says that our faith does not abolish our need to obey God's law, but rather our faith upholds it. Many people mistake Lordship Salvation as teaching that choosing to be a doer of the law is required for salvation is teaching that we earn our salvation as the result of obeying it, so they argue against it by citing verses that speak against our salvation being the result of our obedience to God's law, but when Lordship Salvation is correctly understood, it is in accordance with those verses.

In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so it is neither the case that our salvation is the result of having done those works or that doing those works is the result of having been saved, but rather God graciously teaching us to obey His law for how to do those works is itself the content of His gift of salvation. Im addition, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in him (Acts 21:20). Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while our salvation is not the result of obeying God's law, living in obedience to it is nevertheless intrinsically the content of the gift of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it.

Upvote 0

didactics

Church History
May 1, 2022
New Bern
✟45,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well are there verses that state, if one has commitment or obedience to Jesus they will receive eternal life.
I know many (10+) that state when a person believes in Jesus they have eternal life.

What Does It Mean to Believe in Jesus? – Grace Evangelical Society
There are no degrees of justification—wholly justified or wholly condemned. There are however many degrees of sanctification. Not all believers are equally sanctified. Each of us are more or less sanctified depending upon where we’re at on this journey to the celestial city which is again determined under the sovereignty of God.

[This quote was taken from a sermon clip by a reformed baptist.]

Let’s take for example John 3:36. Depending on the translation, it seems to take the second clause making “believing” synonymous with “obey”. Take a look at the NASB to see what I mean. However, the NKJV uses the word believe a second time, not obey. But this is interesting to me, because I think it points to the idea that belief means more than intellectual ascent when in regards to salvation. No, but we are to embrace the gospel. That I believe is the meaning.

I say this because a desire to be committed is not the same as doing some work of the law. Embracing the gospel message is both a commitment and a trust in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Cheap grace as opposed to expensive grace.
Expensive grace is not grace at all. Its a price. It is merited favor.

“Cheap grace means grace sold on the market like cheapjacks' wares. The sacraments, the forgiveness of sin, and the consolations of religion are thrown away at cut prices. Grace is represented as the Church's inexhaustible treasury, from which she showers blessings with generous hands, without asking questions or fixing limits. Grace without price; grace without cost! The essence of grace, we suppose, is that the account has been paid in advance; and, because it has been paid, everything can be had for nothing. Since the cost was infinite, the possibilities of using and spending it are infinite. What would grace be if it were not cheap?...

Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.

Costly grace is the treasure hidden in the field; for the sake of it a man will go and sell all that he has. It is the pearl of great price to buy which the merchant will sell all his goods. It is the kingly rule of Christ, for whose sake a man will pluck out the eye which causes him to stumble; it is the call of Jesus Christ at which the disciple leaves his nets and follows him.

Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again, the gift which must be asked for, the door at which a man must knock.

Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner. Above all, it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son: "ye were bought at a price," and what has cost God much cannot be cheap for us. Above all, it is grace because God did not reckon his Son too dear a price to pay for our life, but delivered him up for us. Costly grace is the Incarnation of God.”

― Dietrich Bonhoeffer,
The Cost of Discipleship

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Grace is not something we purchase. If it has to be purchased by the recipient it is not grace, it is a business deal.
There is a contradiction of terms here.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Yes, people should repent after they are born again. But that is because of the new creature, not some imagined act of religious devotion.
Our righteousness is as filthy rags. He does not want them. Our commitment and devotion are fragile and ego based. Not acceptable.
Only by the blood of Jesus. No other name but Jesus.
I suspect it is all just bad terminology, and the mixing of teachings that are not related.

Bonhoeffer said:
"It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner."
No, our discipleship does not justify us.

Again, this is the mixing of teachings. Grace if free, a gift. Discipleship is the outward manifesting of the new creature. But that discipleship does not purchase grace.

"Cheap grace?" What grace is not cheap? It is "cheap" to us because we paid nothing.
It was expensive to Him because it cost His blood, body, and death. That is not cheap.

The whole concept of "expensive grace" is a contradiction of terms. It is like saying "a square circle" or "a short tall man."
Just think about what that term "cheap grace" means. "Cheap" (if you must use that term) to us but not unpaid for. Expensive to Him.

Of course grace is cheap to us.
Grace that has a price is not grace.
We cannot escape that truth.

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just a I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot;
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt;
Fightings within, and fears without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind;
Yes, all I need, in Thee to find,

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I like about free grace and once saved always saved, is the motivation to serve the Lord is entirely about Him. The only reason why a Christian who believes in such, is committed obeys and perseveres is out of love for the Lord, rather than it being about staying saved. How many Christians I wonder are faithful to the Lord to save themselves from hell, rather than being faithful purely out of love for the Lord?

Reactions: Rapture Bound
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What I came to realize when discussing salvation with a Catholic, is that most of what he said was virtually identical to what Lordship Salvation teaches. And what's ironic and confusing to me is I've heard well known proponents of Lordship Salvation speak out against Catholicism as being works based salvation :scratch:

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There are no degrees of justification—wholly justified or wholly condemned. There are however many degrees of sanctification. Not all believers are equally sanctified. Each of us are more or less sanctified depending upon where we’re at on this journey to the celestial city which is again determined under the sovereignty of God.

[This quote was taken from a sermon clip by a reformed baptist.]

Let’s take for example John 3:36. Depending on the translation, it seems to take the second clause making “believing” synonymous with “obey”. Take a look at the NASB to see what I mean. However, the NKJV uses the word believe a second time, not obey. But this is interesting to me, because I think it points to the idea that belief means more than intellectual ascent when in regards to salvation. No, but we are to embrace the gospel. That I believe is the meaning.

I say this because a desire to be committed is not the same as doing some work of the law. Embracing the gospel message is both a commitment and a trust in Christ.

The or a gospel message does not save. It is faith in Jesus that gives a person Eternal Life.

When obey is used is used in the way, that when a person believes in Jesus for Eternal Life, they have obeyed God's one condition He, God requires to receive His free gift of Eternal Life. It is not referring to a life long, life live in obedience to God or service to God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Penitent Thief

Who is the Lord ?

Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” (John 20:28). From then on, the apostles’ message was that Jesus is Lord, meaning “Jesus is God.” Peter’s sermon on the Day of Pentecost contained that theme: “Let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah” (Acts 2:36). Later, in Cornelius’s house, Peter declared that Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). Note how in Romans 10:9 Jesus’ lordship is linked to His resurrection: “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”

The statement “Jesus is Lord” means that Jesus is God. Jesus has “all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18). He is Lord of the Sabbath (Luke 6:5). He is “our only Sovereign and Lord” (Jude 1:4). He is, in fact, the Lord of lords (Revelation 17:14).

Jesus referred to Himself as “Lord” many times (e.g., Luke 19:31; John 13:13). And when we compare the Old Testament with the New, we find several times when the “LORD” (Yahweh) of the Hebrew Bible is equated with the “Lord Jesus” by the apostles. For example, Psalm 34:8 says, “Taste and see that the LORD is good,” and that passage is alluded to in 1 Peter 2:3, except there Jesus is the “Lord” who is good. Isaiah 8:13 says that “the LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy”; in 1 Peter 3:15 we are commanded, “In your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy” (ESV).

Amazingly, the Lord Jesus left His exalted position in heaven and came to earth to save us. In His Incarnation, He showed us what true meekness looks like (see Matthew 11:29). Just before His arrest, Jesus used His power and authority to teach us humility: “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet” (John 13:14). The last will be first, according to our Lord (Matthew 19:30).

In saying, “Jesus is Lord,” we commit ourselves to obey Him. Jesus asked, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” (Luke 6:46). An acknowledgement of Jesus’ lordship is logically accompanied by a submission to Jesus’ authority. If Jesus is Lord, then He owns us; He has the right to tell us what to do.

A person who says, “Jesus is Lord,” with a full understanding of what that means (Jesus is God and has supreme authority over all things) has been divinely enlightened: “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (1 Corinthians 12:3). Faith in the Lord Jesus is required for salvation (Acts 16:31).

Jesus is Lord. It’s the truth, whether or not people acknowledge the fact. He is more than the Messiah, more than the Savior; He is the Lord of all. Someday, all will submit to that truth: “God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9–11).

Cheap Grace !

The term “cheap grace” can be traced back to a book written by German theologian, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called The Cost of Discipleship, published in 1937. In that book, Bonhoeffer defined “cheap grace” as “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.” Notice what is emphasized in Bonhoeffer’s definition of cheap grace and what is de-emphasized. The emphasis is on the benefits of Christianity without the costs involved; hence, the adjective cheap to describe it.

Jesus, in His Great Commission to the 11 remaining disciples, commanded them to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to observe all that He had commanded them (Matthew 28:19-20). Evangelism and discipleship go hand in hand. A disciple is one who observes (keeps, obeys) all that Jesus has commanded. There is no two-stage process in Christianity—first, be saved; then become a disciple. This arbitrary distinction is foreign to the New Testament and therefore foreign to Christianity.

To play off the title of Bonhoeffer’s book, let’s look at what Jesus said to His disciples about discipleship in Luke 14:25-33. In that passage, Jesus says to the crowds that no one can be His disciple unless they first hate their family (v. 26). Furthermore, the one who cannot bear his own cross cannot be His disciple (v. 27). Two conditions are given by Jesus in order to be His disciple. The first is to be willing to renounce family in order to follow Jesus. The second is to be willing to die, both literally and metaphorically (“die to self”) in order to follow Jesus. Jesus then gives two examples of “counting the cost.” The first is an example of a man who desires to build a tower without first counting the cost of building the tower. After realizing he cannot complete it, he gives up in shame and embarrassment. The second is that of a king preparing to go to battle and making sure he can defend against the superior foe. The point Jesus is making is that discipleship has a cost.

Furthermore, discipleship requires repentance and obedience. At the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, the message He preached was a message of repentance (Matthew 4:17). The message of the apostles after Jesus’ resurrection and ascension was also one of repentance (Acts 2:38). Along with repentance comes obedience. Jesus told a crowd of listeners that salvation and obedience go hand in hand: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46). Jesus then goes on to differentiate the one who builds his house on the sand from the one who builds his house on the rock, that is, the man who not only hears the words of Jesus, but does them, too.

Cheap grace seeks to hide the cost of discipleship from people. It seeks to claim that as long as we make a profession of faith, we are saved. God’s grace covers all our sins. Again, that is a wonderful truth! The apostle Paul says as much when he writes, “Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 5:20-21). Yet, right after writing that, Paul follows it with this: “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (Romans 6:1-2). Salvation by grace alone through faith alone is so much more than simply mouthing the words “Jesus is Lord.” We are not saved by a profession of faith. We are not saved by praying the Sinner’s Prayer. We are not saved by signing a card or walking an aisle. We are saved by a living and active faith (James 2:14-26), a faith that manifests itself in repentance, obedience and love of God and our neighbor. Salvation is not a transaction; it’s a transformation. Paul says it best when he says we are “new creations” in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). There is nothing “cheap” about grace! got?

Upvote 0

didactics

Church History
May 1, 2022
New Bern
✟45,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The or a gospel message does not save. It is faith in Jesus that gives a person Eternal Life.

When obey is used is used in the way, that when a person believes in Jesus for Eternal Life, they have obeyed God's one condition He, God requires to receive His free gift of Eternal Life. It is not referring to a life long, life live in obedience to God or service to God
What about what it says in Romans 10:14, how will they hear without a preacher? The message should be embraced and that is not a work. It is a commitment before there is any outworking of that commitment. Yes, the object of faith is Christ himself, but it is only recognized as genuine faith under the weight of our own sinfulness, because it must sink in that we are really convicted of our own sinfulness, not just the sin of unbelief.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's something Protestants should keep in mind. Sola Fide is the 9th canon of the Protestant Reformation.

Sola Fide means that the sinner is justified by faith alone, meaning that nothing else is required to cooperate in order to obtain the grace of justification, and that it is not in any way necessary that he be prepared and disposed by the action.

As was pointed out in another thread:
I'll be honest, if one doesn't believe in justification by grace alone through faith alone then they are denying and negating the whole point of the Reformation. The Reformation stands or falls on this singular doctrine of justification, and if the Reformation was wrong then nobody has any business being "Protestant", because then Rome is correct in saying that Protestants are in open rebellion against Christ and His Church.

If all that remains is schism for the sake of schism, then it is sin pure and simple.

-CryptoLutheran

The father of "cheap grace" is Martin Luther and other Protestant reformers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you notice what he’s doing here? He’s pointing out the error of “make Jesus Lord”. Yes, we shouldn’t tell people to make Jesus Lord because he already is.
It is actually making Jesus Christ of Nazareth your Lord and King.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Grace is not something we purchase. If it has to be purchased by the recipient it is not grace, it is a business deal.
There is a contradiction of terms here.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Yes, people should repent after they are born again. But that is because of the new creature, not some imagined act of religious devotion.
Our righteousness is as filthy rags. He does not want them. Our commitment and devotion are fragile and ego based. Not acceptable.
Only by the blood of Jesus. No other name but Jesus.
I suspect it is all just bad terminology, and the mixing of teachings that are not related.

Bonhoeffer said:
"It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner."
No, our discipleship does not justify us.

Again, this is the mixing of teachings. Grace if free, a gift. Discipleship is the outward manifesting of the new creature. But that discipleship does not purchase grace.

"Cheap grace?" What grace is not cheap? It is "cheap" to us because we paid nothing.
It was expensive to Him because it cost His blood, body, and death. That is not cheap.

The whole concept of "expensive grace" is a contradiction of terms. It is like saying "a square circle" or "a short tall man."
Just think about what that term "cheap grace" means. "Cheap" (if you must use that term) to us but not unpaid for. Expensive to Him.

Of course grace is cheap to us.
Grace that has a price is not grace.
We cannot escape that truth.

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just a I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot;
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt;
Fightings within, and fears without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind;
Yes, all I need, in Thee to find,

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
Nothing in the quote suggested that Bonhoeffer thought that grace was something we need to purchase, but rather he specifically referred to it as being a gift.

The content of a gift can itself be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the opportunity to experience driving a Ferrari for an hour, where gift requiring them to do the work of driving it does not detract from the fact that the opportunity to experience driving it was completely given to them as a gift. In a similar manner, God's gift of eternal life is the experiencing of knowing Him and Jesus (John 17:3) and God's commands are His gift to teach us how to have that experience.

In Psalms 119:29-30, David wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faithfulness, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know him, which again is eternal life by grace through faith. In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith, and in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God graciously teaching us to do these works is itself part of the content of His gift of salvation. In Ephesians 2:8-10, we are new creation sin Christ to do good works, so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of our works, doing good works by grace through faith in accordance with discipleship is nevertheless intrinsically part of our gift of salvation.

Upvote 0