Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ivanka Trump reacts to Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal, says most Americans "want to work for what they get"

“You’ve got people who will see that offer from the Democrats, from the progressive Democrats, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: ‘Here’s the Green New Deal, here’s the guarantee of a job,’ and think, ‘Yeah, that’s what I want, it’s that simple.’ What do you say to those people?” Hilton asked the first daughter.

“I don’t think most Americans, in their heart, want to be given something. I’ve spent a lot of time traveling around this country over the last four years. People want to work for what they get,” Trump said.

“So, I think that this idea of a guaranteed minimum is not something most people want. They want the ability to be able to secure a job. They want the ability to live in a country where there’s the potential for upward mobility,” she added.

This is funny coming from someone who's third-generation wealth and whose entire family (including her husband) only has their jobs because they were handed them by their parents.

I suppose the Trump family isn't "most Americans".

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Is there anything wrong with what she said, though?
She is correct. Most people want to work for a living. However, if there are no jobs for them to do they would just as soon not starve because of it.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
She is correct. Most people want to work for a living. However, if there are no jobs for them to do they would just as soon not starve because of it.
We are at a time when the unemployment rate is at its lowest in decades.

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure slaveowners used similar arguments back in the day.
Its more like democrats offer the same as slave owners did. Low flat wage, limited resources, terrible housing, broken families, permanent lower class etc. you see the similarities.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Its more like democrats offer the same as slave owners did. Low flat wage, limited resources, terrible housing, broken families, permanent lower class etc. you see the similarities.
All I see in your post is a similarity to what the Right wants for the working class.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Your glasses are broken if thats what you see from the right.
All I know about the Right is what they tell me. But I never hear things like that from the Left.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're correct, @Speedwell forgot to add the Right doesn't want them to have healthcare either. Healthcare is something only the rich should have.

Adequate healthcare and getting a college education to increase your chances of getting a better job is a privilege, you know? But owning a gun in America is our God-given right as Americans! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! Let's not mix up the moral priorities of being proud Americans now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've been a liberal for almost 30 years and I've been involved in political and social justice activism for just as long and I've never encountered any liberals like that, but I have encountered more than a fair share of conservatives with that kind of attitude toward poor minorities and the poor in general.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately, that’s not an issue.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there anything wrong with what she said, though?

Yes, there is.

If you take only that one sentence, absent any other context, then there's not much wrong with it. But life is rarely so simple.

For one thing, she's overlooking how the nature of work is changing and how technological advancements reduce the need for labor. Growing productivity means shrinking demand for labor. It doesn't matter how much people want to work if nobody needs them to work. UBI at least gives folks a way to survive without having to work.

Secondly, she's overlooking the degree to which poverty/low wages can trap a person in the situation they're currently in. In many aspects of professional life, you have to spend money to make money - and if you don't have the resources needed to take advantage of the opportunities that exist, then as far you're concerned, those opportunities may as well not exist at all. UBI takes some of that edge off.

Upvote 0