It's time to start thinking about Pesakh!

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
FOR THOSE WHO DO:
How do you prepare your home and your life to keep and observe the commandments and memorial of Pesakh and Unleavened Bread?

I find I start thinking about the chometz in my home and become much more mindful of what I purchase with our groceries

Then I begin the initial stages of planning 2 Seders - menu, planning 6 hr round trip to only kosher store in 2 states once they get there KLP things one the shelves - maybe I'll take some of the ladies from our Jewish Foundations class - I think it would be a good experience for them... Hmmm

...And so the keep and observe begins ;)

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
This year, will be easier since I'll be making a long distance move next month. Will be an easy time to unload a lot of stuff that we don't really need and would have to remove for Pesach anyway in April. So that will work out just fine. I'll turn it over to Salvation Army that's just down the road from where I live now.
I don't know that I'll be settled in enough to try to have a meal at home but I know the shul I will be attending always has Seders, either as one large group or several different homes will host. One or the other, and sometimes both. I can't wait. It's going to be so nice to be back there!

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, you'll have a lot "on your plate" around Pesakh!

We always have a Seder at home the First night and do one for our community the Second night.
This year, because the Second night falls on Shabbt Havdalah, and I do not have the means to store pre-prepared foods, we are having the Second Seder on Sunday night instead of Saturday night.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I was there before I could never go twice in the same week due to finances (144 miles round trip to the shul, to some of the residences much further) so I always chose the Saturday services. Work always interferred even more than the finances. Now that I'm disabled (not a good thing in and of itself) I'll be able to attend just about any and all functions going on. I'm getting really excited to be going back to what I consider home.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then I begin the initial stages of planning 2 Seders - menu, planning 6 hr round trip to only kosher store in 2 states once they get there KLP things one the shelves - maybe I'll take some of the ladies from our Jewish Foundations class - I think it would be a good experience for them... Hmmm

What do you buy on the 6 hour drive?

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I have it relatively easy since I stay at our condo over Pesach. The thing I really hate is having to wash all the pesach dishes by hand since they have been stored over the last year. I wish I had a pesachdik dishwasher. Last year I did one seder at our place
and ate out for one. Fortunately we usually get invited out which wonderful because seders take such a great amount of work.

Upvote 0

etZion

A Dirty Gentile
Feb 2, 2012
✟16,035.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
FOR THOSE WHO DO:
How do you prepare your home and your life to keep and observe the commandments and memorial of Pesakh and Unleavened Bread?

I find I start thinking about the chometz in my home and become much more mindful of what I purchase with our groceries

...And so the keep and observe begins ;)

Honestly, we do not start preparing till about 2 weeks before, then we race to eat up what has to go, and whatever is left, we drop off at a homeless distribution center nearby. Then we invite friends for the Seder, and have a great time. :groupray:

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

We are preparing right now. My sister is coming the last week of this month. She cannot have any dairy, so I'm prepping the fridge and oven, and kitchen - and then will be going into our pantry and checking labels for what she can have. In the mean time, I will be separating everything we need to eat before and while she is here. I don't want anything left over this year.

I've got to rearrange and prep our freezers too...

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
xDenax said:
What do you buy on the 6 hour drive?
pesadik items, including deserts for our Seder which no one locally sells.
Local stores, when they do carry kosher items - and very few do, don't know Pesakh from Christmas. They display what their warehouse sends them but they also display it mixed in with non-KLP items of the same type, like all the matzo together. I'm also not convinced that some of their KLP items are not from last year or before as restock of items that didn't sell previous years.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
etZion said:
Honestly, we do not start preparing till about 2 weeks before, then we race to eat up what has to go, and whatever is left, we drop off at a homeless distribution center nearby. Then we invite friends for the Seder, and have a great time. :groupray:

Wow, that would "kill" me - LOL
I prepare a community Seder for around 30ish people. Since none are Messianic or Jewish I do most of the preparation myself. If I waited until the last two weeks for planning AND execution there would be total chaos!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This year, will be easier since I'll be making a long distance move next month. Will be an easy time to unload a lot of stuff that we don't really need and would have to remove for Pesach anyway in April. So that will work out just fine. I'll turn it over to Salvation Army that's just down the road from where I live now.
I don't know that I'll be settled in enough to try to have a meal at home but I know the shul I will be attending always has Seders, either as one large group or several different homes will host. One or the other, and sometimes both. I can't wait. It's going to be so nice to be back there!

I am very happy for you!!! :clap:

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I prepare a community Seder for around 30ish people. Since none are Messianic or Jewish I do most of the preparation myself. If I waited until the last two weeks for planning AND execution there would be total chaos!

May I ask why you hold a seder for people who are not Jewish or Messianic?

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
xDenax said:
What kind of desert? Could you order things online and have them shipped?

Traditionally I serve macaroons and pareve chocolate covered almonds and pareve chocolate covered matzo. This year I'd like to make a KLP cake, too.
I also need gluten free matzo for some of the guests.

I want to get my hands on the matzo and the chocolate covered matzo to make sure it is not all broken up. The gas for one trip is less than the shipping from several sources, it is a worthy outing on which to expend gas. And with shipping you can't be assured things will be in stock by the time it is your order's turn or that it will arrive on time. I have NO wiggle room on time because of the paucity of local availability. AND it gives us an excuse to eat at their kosher restaurant - a real treat for my Jewish mom-in-love who remembers her childhood neighborhood with kosher purveyor of some sort on every corner ;)

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
xDenax said:
May I ask why you hold a seder for people who are not Jewish or Messianic?
Because our Messiah held a teaching Seder, died during the slaughter of the Paschal lambs at the Temple and rose on HaBikkurim. We, and most of them, do not keep Easter. Additionally, for the same reason we teach the Jewish Foundations of Christianity to these folk - to foster awareness and understanding of the irrevocable connections between Judaism and Christianity, thus deepening and adding dimension to their view of Messiah Yeshua. This also opens up minds and hearts to the Jewish people and Israel.
No Gentile unbelievers (uncircumcised heart) are permitted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Lulav said:
For those who might be frantic thinking it's coming up very soon, Passover this year on the worldly calendar is April 6-14. :)
yeah, but that is only 8 SHORT weeks away! ;) :swoon:

Lulav said:
Henaynei, you can get KFP GF matzah at this store? The only place I know is online and from England.

They had Spelt last year, but were all gone by the time I got there. Going earlier this year, I hope!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
MessianicMommy said:
Spelt isn't GF. It is wheat free though for those who have wheat allergies.
GF = Wheat, Barley, Rye and contaminated-Oat free.

Usu. you have to order GF shemura oat matzoh very early on to get them in time and for sure.

Now you have me really confused :confused:

Upvote 0