• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

it's the Devil not ocd

• Thread starter Godisallthatmatters
  • Start date

mishmoo

Dec 22, 2006
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you know, I had always wondered about that. My ocd got so bad that I couldn't bare it any longer and I prayed to God that he would help me. A week or so later I happened to be up at 2am to watch Joyce Myer and she was talking about how the devil puts stuff in your mind (or something similar to that lol) But she said this verse: 1 John 5: The one who is in us is stronger than the one who is in the world.

the holy spirit being the one in us, and the devil being the one in the world. I was like wow, that is so true. I knew that if my bad thoughts were from the devil... there is no way they can hurt me coz God is stronger than the devil.

I only have trouble with my ocd when I am super tired and stressed and not thinking well. otherwise I can walk away from all my ocd compulsions without fear.. because I trust God.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OCD is a mental disorder that can cause you to obsess over things that are considered evil by principles of the bible (which I hold to), the thing is though with OCD, it is a mental condition and is something that many suffers are born with a predisposition to. So I do not believe that God will judge us on evil thoughts and such that we had no control over. Yes there is a enemy out there that seeks to devour us and he will try and use this disorder in our lives to turn us from God. But even though we suffer from this disorder as a result of evil in the world, we can hold on to the promises of God even though our world falls apart.

The devil wants to use this for evil but God wants to use it for some purpose in our life that we possibley cannot yet see. God has promised us that all things in our life can and will work together for God to loves that love Him. And also one of the greatest promises is that God in Jesus Christ has defeated satan and he no longer has power over us. Jesus loves those who belong to Him and although there are things in our lives that we must suffer through, we can know that no matter what God is faithful and everything He allows is ultimately for our eternal good in the kingdom of His Son. We love Him because He first loved us, He suffered for us to secure our souls and although we may suffer here on earth, this must never blur the fact that the One who suffered for all humanity is the God of the universe. We can trust Him.

Upvote 0

canamer

Feb 26, 2011
United States
✟7,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally don't think that you can blame OCD on the devil. As has already been stated, it is a complicated mental disorder. Certainly you can blame the Fall in general for all bad things because we know that because of the Fall the curse of sin has been on the Earth ever since. So, of course if the world was perfect, as God intended for it to be, there would be no OCD in it. Nor would there be anything else bad in it!

Now, do I believe that the devil exploits our OCD to discourage us and bring us down? Uh... yea. That's his #1 job as our enemy. He knows our weaknesses and he exploits them.

Let me give you a quick parable on how the devil wants you to be. One day this guy went into town to the local market. When he got there he noticed a whole bunch of birds in cages. He felt sorry for them and so he bought all the birds off of the merchant. Then he said to the merchant now set them free. The merchant was like, what??? And the guy said yes, set them free. I want them to be free. So, the cages were opened. The weird thing was that none of the birds flew away. They just stayed in their cages oblivious to their freedom.

Jesus set us free from our cages. We're free to be all that he has intended for us to be. But, so often we ended up staying inside our cages. The devil wants us to stay inside our cages. He wants us to feel defeated, discouraged and trapped. Why? Because that way we won't be as effective as what God intends for us to be. God has wonderful plans for all of us and yet how many times do we stand in the way of that simply because we feel like we aren't good enough? Hey, I'm preaching to myself here too. Regardless, you're still a child of God if you've accepted his forgiveness. But, the devil would like to keep it at that. The last thing that the devil wants you doing is going out and doing great things for God on top of your 'being redeemed' factor.

The one thing that the devil would love to do to all of us is cause our OCD to be such a burden and discouragement that we spend our lives consumed with it and so we become less effective than what we were meant to be.

I hate it when people make excuses for 'what they have'. Oh, I have ADD. I have this. I have that. I have OCD. SO WHAT???! Listen, I know what it's like to get up in the morning and not know how I'm going to get through the day because of my OCD. The thought of it all just exhausts me before I'm even fully awake. And yet I get up and soldier through the day anyway and each day God's grace seems to be just enough to get me through the day. Folks, we've got to do our best to be strong. It's almost the politically expedient thing to do these days to make excuses for one's behavior. I don't like my OCD one bit. In fact I hate it to death. I feel like it may take years off of my life.

But, I've got God on my side. And evidently I still have some more work to do because I haven't been called up to Heaven yet. So, hang in there. Be strong. Ask God daily (moment-by-moment) for help and don't allow OCD to defeat you. Give it right back to the devil!

Reactions: SoldierOfSoul
Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't all bad come from the devil?

No..........
^^This

I don't know if it's of the devil but it is evil, we atleast know that much...and I would say the same goes for OCD.

What do you mean exactly? I mean, I'm sure it's bad, but it isn't anything you choose to have, so it's not a sin, unless you inferring that the devil can give you cancer.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean exactly? I mean, I'm sure it's bad, but it isn't anything you choose to have, so it's not a sin, unless you inferring that the devil can give you cancer.

I don't know what the devil can and cant do, I know he is evil and that he goes around seeking whom he may devour,he likes to destroy lives, but I also believe that he is a defeated foe and that Jesus Christ has conquered him and death.

Actually I don't spend much time thinking about him, I try and spend my time thinking about God and Christ, the devil is one of the enemies of the Christian, I'm not sure how much power he has and I don't care, I just trust that God has it under control and that the devil will be destroyed in the end, I rebuke him in my life and move on.

Speaking of the evil of cancer though, when I said it is evil, I meant that it is a natural evil that was brought about by man falling from God in the Garden. Man sinned and evil came into the world. Cancer is a part of this evil, it is a corruption of the "good" creation that God made in the beginning, it was not His original intent but cancer is part of the curse that was pronounced on our world when sin entered in through the fall of man.

Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what the devil can and cant do, I know he is evil and that he goes around seeking whom he may devour,he likes to destroy lives, but I also believe that he is a defeated foe and that Jesus Christ has conquered him and death.

Actually I don't spend much time thinking about him, I try and spend my time thinking about God and Christ, the devil is one of the enemies of the Christian, I'm not sure how much power he has and I don't care, I just trust that God has it under control and that the devil will be destroyed in the end, I rebuke him in my life and move on.

^^This doesn't make sense, because as we know from recent history that if you have cancer in the lungs, brain, or another vital organ, you have a high chance of dying. So if it is the case of the devil giving you cancer (which i find to be a slgihtly humorous take on it), then that would mean either God doesn't have it under control, or he just chooses not to control it.

Speaking of the evil of cancer though, when I said it is evil, I meant that it is a natural evil that was brought about by man falling from God in the Garden. Man sinned and evil came into the world. Cancer is a part of this evil, it is a corruption of the "good" creation that God made in the beginning, it was not His original intent but cancer is part of the curse that was pronounced on our world when sin entered in through the fall of man.

This is much more plausible, But I don't see how sin connects to a disease that can be because by enviromental conditions and genetics, unless your suggesting that by Adam sinning, his perfect design was corrupted along with his genetic code and DNA sequences?

And it's not like us sinning corrupted the basic guidelines for cell growth (although i do aknowledge it may be the case no matter how unlikeley I find it to be) .

It is my personal opinion that sometimes we give the devil more credit than he deserves. Some people just use him as a scapegoat so that they can blame it on him without taking responsibility for their own actions. Not to mention the general chaotic methods of the human mind, which sometimes we easily mistake for satan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
R&R I believe that all evil in the world can be traced back to the sin of Adam, I am not saying that evil (in general) originated with A&E but what I am saying is that in a universal mindset evil had it's source in the fall of man.

then that would mean either God doesn't have it under control

Whether we live or die we are the Lord's, so just because our end is death (as all of our ends will be) does not mean that God doesn't have it under control, death was a consequence of the fall, it is appointed for men to die and then the judgement. The Christians assurance of hope in Christ is the resurrection, this is the hope of the message we believe.

Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
R&R I believe that all evil in the world can be traced back to the sin of Adam, I am not saying that evil (in general) originated with A&E but what I am saying is that in a universal mindset evil had it's source in the fall of man.

I can accept that

Whether we live or die we are the Lord's, so just because our end is death (as all of our ends will be) does not mean that God doesn't have it under control, death was a consequence of the fall, it is appointed for men to die and then the judgement. The Christians assurance of hope in Christ is the resurrection, this is the hope of the message we believe.

that wasn't my point, my point was that if God does have it under control, doesn't it seem like he lets a lot of people die to cancer when he could make it vanish instantly?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that wasn't my point, my point was that if God does have it under control, doesn't it seem like he lets a lot of people die to cancer when he could make it vanish instantly?

What if He healed everyone with cancer right now, at this moment, would this not be in effect just putting off the inevitable? We are going to die eventually, whether of cancer or something else, as the bible says (paraphrase): Because of sin you (speaking to man) will die.

The gospel message is meant for humanity while on the earth but the greatest promise we have is that we will live forever in paradise with a new resurrected body in the presence of our Saviour. Salvation begins in the material world (although in a spiritual sense) but ultimately leads to the eternal, we are saved on earth but destined for heaven.

God is not a genie and He does not act on our whims, He does allow evil things to happen in this world and acts against these things when in His wisdom it is for the eternal good of His creation and justice. But the point is: God does not owe us anything, this is a concept that we must retain, God does not owe us salvation nor does He owe us healing.

We have sinned and in the courts of eternal justice we are damned, but the hope of grace and mercy is what makes our God so precious, He is gracious and He saves all who call on Him, and if He wills He heals as well. But He is never obligated to do these things because truly in the great scheme of things we are owed nothing but death and suffering for our rebellion.

Upvote 0

healingrainbow

May 23, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟15,439.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I only have trouble with my ocd when I am super tired and stressed and not thinking well. otherwise I can walk away from all my ocd compulsions without fear.. because I trust God.

Do you think that maybe the devil weakness everyone by stress, tiredness, ect... so it's like we should rest when we need it, and I believe Jesus said if you need rest then rest. I know he said that, I remember that scripture. I just forgot the chapter & verse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if He healed everyone with cancer right now, at this moment, would this not be in effect just putting off the inevitable? We are going to die eventually, whether of cancer or something else, as the bible says (paraphrase): Because of sin you (speaking to man) will die.

that's stupid.

What if one of those people he healed that had cancer were non-beleivers, and became beleivers after it?

Not to mention those that remain non-beleivers, who because of this miracle get to enjoy a few more years on earth before suffering for eternity.

And I don't understand your point at all. Who wants to die sooner rather than later? If He healed everyone at this moment it would be a good thing. I really do not understand what you are getting at.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point is that death is inevitable for all.

And again, He does not have to heal anybody, I have OCD and I pray for healing but this does not mean that I am owed healing from God. Healing is a act of grace, it is not something that is deserved, the only thing that mankind deserves is justice.

Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The point is that death is inevitable for all.

And again, He does not have to heal anybody, I have OCD and I pray for healing but this does not mean that I am owed healing from God. Healing is a act of grace, it is not something that is deserved, the only thing that mankind deserves is justice.

you are mssing my point.

Death is inevitable, that doesn't mean postponing it is a bad thing (QUITE THE CONTRARY).

i don't understand your point.

If God has it under control, he chooses to let people die of cancer, i'm not holding that against him (you have to keep th pop. in check somehow i suppose), i'm just saying that that is very bad news to those who have a deadly cancer.

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First of all, for the obsessive compulsives on this forum, you should indicate a spike warning. This can cause those who suffer from OCD to trigger hard, and it's common courtesy to warn them before they click.

Second of all, if the devil causes all bad, we can assume he causes cancer.

We know that cancer is a disease. Therefore, if the devil causes all bad, including cancer, it's safe to assume that the devil causes disease.

We also know how to treat cancer.

OCD is also a disease, though of the mind and not the body. This doesn't make it any less a disease.

If the devil causes disease, and therein causes OCD, we should approach OCD as we would ANY OTHER DISEASE.

And guess what? This is possible. We know how to treat OCD. Through medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm just saying that that is very bad news to those who have a deadly cancer.

I agree. if you are diagnosed with cancer it is not good news, it means death is near. But the thing that you have to come to terms with is if God chooses not to heal the person (although sometimes He does) does that mean that He is not good? The answer to that question would be a emphatic NO based on who we know God to be. This is a very complex issue R&R and I know this is not the place to discuss it, if you want to continue this discussion make a thread in "New Christians" in the edification area and send me a PM.

Upvote 0