Anointed Servant
Apr 25, 2005
fairbanks, Alaska
✟23,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
okay, is anyone else starting to get tired of their friends family or even new people they meet trying to help them with tips, suggestions and whatnot about being single as if its some kind of disability or disease. :sick:

family "your a great guy and your handsome, i don't see why you don't just settle down and get married":preach:

i just ate, takes a while for me to settle down
friends "hey, they're a cute girl down the street you should ask her out":bow:

if she's down the street, she's probably already out
new people "got a girlfriend? why not what u waiting for?":confused:
oh she just hasn't come in the male(mail) yet from girlfriends'r'us, any day now"

I think I've answered the question "why don't you have a girlfriend?" well over a hundred times this year and that's no exaggeration...I've been single for the past six years now, if i "knew" why i might just not be :idea:

septemberskies

You can find me on cloud no.9
Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah the curse of singleness. Its only is cured once you find someone *special*. Stinks because you always have to justify your singleness as if it's illegal or something. Not being single would make all parties involved happy, thus making you more approachable.

I think if society changed its view on things, being single wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I love it. If only I were witty enough to think of such comebacks when they're mentioned, instead of the giggling with the they're not my type/i'm not their type/we don't click murmers.

Never will understand why everyone seems to view being single as this awful, awful thing that must be rectified as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Just be facetious and tell them you're trying out "asexuality".

200px-Pope_stop_posting.jpg

Reactions: Oddish
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's a reason you don't see these kinds of threads in the 30+ sections (for the most part, anyway). The likelihood that you'll still be single in a few years is miniscule. Chill out, be patient, learn to smile and just shrug when people constantly try to fix you up. It'll only bother you if you allow it to. I can pretty much guarantee most, if not all, of you 20 something's will be married by the time you hit your 30's. Just relax and enjoy being young in the meantime!

Upvote 0

LadyL

Sep 25, 2009
Heaven bound
✟12,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tell em you aren't a fan of 'settling' like most of society today. ;)
This and the more I see others deal with their relationship issues, the more I'm content to wait until I'm matured enough into the women I need to be to handle a serious relationship.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
okay, is anyone else starting to get tired of their friends family or even new people they meet trying to help them with tips, suggestions and whatnot about being single as if its some kind of disability or disease. :sick:

I love it when people see that you've been single for, like, a minute and they're already like, "What's your problem? Get out there! Find somebody!" I also love it when people who have some of the worst relationships want to set you up or they want to see you hooked-up with someone. Really? Mama taught me well, so I don't want to say it, but.... God knows what I'm thinkin' during those moments.

Best thing you can do is have a good comeback for all of those naysayers. Believe me, when you have one (or two or three), they'll start to leave you alone and maybe, they'll even leave questioning what they're really doing by hounding you to death.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lots of people in my life think it's their buisness to 1. remind me that i'm single , 2. tell me why they think i'm single. 3. tell me what they would do if they were single (which might not be such a long shot for some of them and i find it completely laughable).
I'll never understand it. I even went to the eye doctor last week and he just couldn't get over that i was single and had tons of tips and comments for me. And i don't even really know him; i've seen him for an hour once a year since i was like 10.
I've come back with "smart" comments or sarcastic comments before that i thought was funny. But now i just ask "why would you say that?" or "why do you want to know?"

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
mina said:
3. tell me what they would do if they were single (which might not be such a long shot for some of them and i find it completely laughable).

Right???

I've talked about this with other people and what I've come to is this: Those people just want to see us happy... and they feel that we'd be happiest when we're with someone who's perfect for us, rather than alone or with the most recent person we've dated. I know that. But, at the same time, it makes me wonder what the heck I must look like when I'm single. I mean... do I have a sad look on my face? Are my shoulders slumped over double-time when I'm not with someone? I just chalk it up to people meaning well, but not really knowing how to come across with what they're really trying to say. I think they just want to see us ecstatically involved with someone and feel that we deserve that kind of happiness. <-- They just can't say it!

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with people who are truly sincere in their desire to see me happy with the right person for me. And I usually am flattered in that case and ask them to pray for me. (like my eye doctor - he really was very sweet and complimentary towards me). But a lot of people i know just ask or say things out of snobbery or they want to see me squirm or feel better about their own situations. Those are the times I find their comments laughable and consider them with distain. I just don't get that.....

Upvote 0

NoMoreLocusts

On the brink of something wonderful...Praise Him!
Dec 22, 2009
Connecticut
Visit site
✟8,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

:idea:

It is nice to see a guy feeling this way as well. Back in September I finally gave in to my friends' concerns that I didn't "have a life" because I preferred doing things that made me feel more fulfilled (i.e., schoolwork, online tutorials that help me in my career, chatting on boards with people who are likeminded, hiking, playing tennis, etc.) to going on dates with men who would waste my time. They felt I was being too picky because I wanted someone who would accept my position in life (mother of a teenager and toddler, career woman, no desire to have future children naturally), who didn't feel a need to go eat dinner but instead go hiking or to the batting cages - something that kept me moving instead of sitting still, and who wouldn't judge me for my past. I took them up on their offers for blind dates, second guessing myself that maybe I was just being faithful to the Lord and waiting for what I believe He promised, and learned a lot about myself (such as that I don't like paying for dates' meals when they ask to be set up with me!, that I am a sucker for having paid for the meals out of sheer desire to leave the location and return home, and that I have finally increased my "Not for me" radar level and use it accurately instead of feeling guilted into second dates with people I have no desire to even be friends with let alone date. However, it was the most miserable month of my life.

At the end of the last date I went on, I sat my friends down and explained I don't live by their codes of conduct. I have my own, and my code doesn't align with most people's codes because there are certain things I don't believe are acceptable until after marriage, which drastically limits the pool of candidates, other things that I know I won't settle for if the man does not have (such as a career, manners, means to support himself, an understanding that sock art is only impressive when there aren't other around to witness it, and a determination that he will only settle for the one God designed for him). They were upset at first and held to their feelings, but now have agreed to let me be and stop asking me why I won't just start looking around for someone.

I think the problem is that without God in their lives and as the center, people feel they HAVE to be with someone to be complete. I know that before I was married the first time I had God but He was not the center and this is what led to me marrying the wrong individual and living a life of hell for a decade. Now that He is my center and now that I understand what not following HIS will for my life can lead to, I want to be in His perfect will, and if that means being single for 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years, I am okay with that because my completeness comes from HIM not from what a man will provide me. By being complete, and the guy being complete, we will be better equipped for a stable and successful marriage in which we support one another, esteem one another, and uplift one another, instead of bringing each other down because we need to constantly provide approval for one another.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for bringing this up!

~Shell

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad I don't have people asking me about settling down/getting married/whatever. I've got comebacks for any questions/statements they have about the matter and I can assure you that, with my dry, warped, eccentric, irreverent sense of humor that it would definitely be the last time they ask me such things.

I'm happy and that's really all those who're a part of my life wanted to see from me, that and be successful. Maybe my 4.0 GPA is keeping them from asking about my marital status. :V

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's a reason you don't see these kinds of threads in the 30+ sections (for the most part, anyway). The likelihood that you'll still be single in a few years is miniscule. Chill out, be patient, learn to smile and just shrug when people constantly try to fix you up. It'll only bother you if you allow it to. I can pretty much guarantee most, if not all, of you 20 something's will be married by the time you hit your 30's. Just relax and enjoy being young in the meantime!

I have twelve days left to get married to meet this timeline, who's game for marriage in twelve days or less?

Upvote 0

~Beauty_from_Pain~

By His grace, For His glory
Jul 29, 2005
USA
✟41,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I know how it is, although I am blessed that most people in my life don't ask me those types of questions. Although I think at times that they think it. But maybe they never do. Mostly I think I ask myself it more often than not....especially when the topic comes up I hear things like "You are so wonderful...." blah blah blah. Well I guess my wonderfulness isn't meant to be shared!:p

I ask the Lord for strenth and courage to continue forward in whatever that He has, to realize that whether married or single I will have things that I face that are difficult. Oh, to be fully content in Christ!

Upvote 0
S

StarryEyes

family "your a great guy and your handsome, i don't see why you don't just settle down and get married":preach:

i just ate, takes a while for me to settle down
friends "hey, they're a cute girl down the street you should ask her out":bow:

if she's down the street, she's probably already out
new people "got a girlfriend? why not what u waiting for?":confused:
oh she just hasn't come in the male(mail) yet from girlfriends'r'us, any day now"

I think I've answered the question "why don't you have a girlfriend?" well over a hundred times this year and that's no exaggeration...I've been single for the past six years now, if i "knew" why i might just not be :idea:
Maybe God has some other things for you to do right now :) You're right.. being single isn't some kind of disease, but it is looked at that way a lot.

This verse came to mind..
John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

When we are doing God's will and living for him.. other people may not understand it but that doesn't matter. Keep on seeking Him.. there are many, many things worse than being single.. and living for marriage is not a very good way to live, because what if God doesn't have marriage in His will for you??? But maybe He does.. :) Keep pressing forward!

Upvote 0

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Protip: The 30+ section is not an accurate or credible representation of all people 30 or over.

Upvote 0