Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If nothing else, it's fun to think about.

"Most American Christians are unaware of the fact that the American Revolution, as well as the new American state, was greatly shaped by Presbyterians and the Calvinism that was at its root. Some modern-day Presbyterians have moved light years away from the convictions of these early colonists."​

Those Blasted Presbyterians: Reflections on Independence Day

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟835,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If nothing else, it's fun to think about.

"Most American Christians are unaware of the fact that the American Revolution, as well as the new American state, was greatly shaped by Presbyterians and the Calvinism that was at its root. Some modern-day Presbyterians have moved light years away from the convictions of these early colonists."​

Those Blasted Presbyterians: Reflections on Independence Day
I have been working through an MDiv paper on American Colonial History, and I thoroughly agree! It is a fascinating history and I am loving the study of it.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
"Most American Christians are unaware of the fact that the American Revolution, as well as the new American state, was greatly shaped by Presbyterians and the Calvinism that was at its root. Some modern-day Presbyterians have moved light years away from the convictions of these early colonists."

Fascinating. Over a third of my ancestry is Colonial Anglo-American [Puritan], and over a sixteenth is Scottish [and, to a lesser degree, Scotch-Irish] Presbyterian. I've also got quite a significant amount of Dutch Reformed ancestors from upstate NY. Pretty cool to think about.

Upvote 0

Feuerbach

Continuing Anglican
Sep 14, 2015
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Visit site
✟8,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have always been interested in the interplay between religion and political history. As an interesting comparison, my mother's family of English Anglicans during the Revolution were what are called "Empire Loyalists" and moved to Canada to stay loyal to the crown.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow. And here I thought my family would have been loyalists. I assume we've been Presbyterian, at least on my mother's side, for as far back as the denomination existed. It kind of makes me proud that my ancestors defied the notion of a king or absolute secular authority.

Upvote 0