GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am one of these believers that believe God is God. He is sovereign which I know already that bothers some people. So I brought Webster Dictionary in the picture.

Main Entry: 1sov·er·eign
Image1.gif

Variant(s): also sov·ran
Image1.gif
/'sä-v(&-)r&n, -v&rn also 's&-/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English soverain, from Old French, from soverain, adjective
1 a : one possessing or held to possess sovereignty b : one that exercises supreme authority within a limited sphere c : an acknowledged leader : ARBITER
2 : any of various gold coins of the United Kingdom

I don’t think God has spiritually speaking cares about the gold coins in the United Kingdom, nor do I believe His sovereignty is within a limit sphere.

I do believe He has a plan for all mankind and even had a savior before He had a sinner, for the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the earth.

Everglaze

Atheist Council Representative
Aug 30, 2004
✟16,632.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm, it could be his will...but then, that would kind of not give Adam much of a choice to pick between good and evil? Maybe God knew beforehand, because then it fits with his plan that someone was going to sin in order for everything to happen the way it did with Jesus coming. That first man just happened to be Adam. This is only my little train of thought.

Upvote 0

ThreeAM

Dec 21, 2005
✟9,667.00
Faith
SDA
GeorgeE said:
I am one of these believers that believe God is God. He is sovereign which I know already that bothers some people. So I brought Webster Dictionary in the picture.

Main Entry: 1sov·er·eign
Image1.gif

Variant(s): also sov·ran
Image1.gif
/'sä-v(&-)r&n, -v&rn also 's&-/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English soverain, from Old French, from soverain, adjective
1 a : one possessing or held to possess sovereignty b : one that exercises supreme authority within a limited sphere c: an acknowledged leader : ARBITER
2 : any of various gold coins of the United Kingdom

I don’t think God has spiritually speaking cares about the gold coins in the United Kingdom, nor do I believe His sovereignty is within a limit sphere.

I do believe He has a plan for all mankind and even had a savior before He had a sinner, for the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the earth.

No it was God's will that Adam have a free will. God does not want robots worshiping him so He gave man a free will. It was Adam's choice to sin or not. Adam chose badly.

Upvote 0

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
ThreeAM said:
No it was God's will that Adam have a free will. God does not want robots worshiping him so He gave man a free will. It was Adam's choice to sin or not. Adam chose badly.
The word freewill cannot be found anywhere in the Bible except for the the Old Testament Free Will Offering.

Yes man can sin freely, but God is in total control. God knew Adam would sin and with out Adam's sin there would be no need for a savior.

Rom 11:32: For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Upvote 0

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Everglaze said:
Hmm, it could be his will...but then, that would kind of not give Adam much of a choice to pick between good and evil? Maybe God knew beforehand, because then it fits with his plan that someone was going to sin in order for everything to happen the way it did with Jesus coming. That first man just happened to be Adam. This is only my little train of thought.
Good thinking, but not all will agree; but that is the way God wants it too.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is precisely because what Adam did was not the will of God that made it a sin. If Adam's disobedience in the garden was indeed God's will then it could not be a sin.

God is indeed sovereign but He is not subject to His own sovereignty, otherwise we would be mindless automatons capable only of doing God's will. God is likewise just but He is not subject to His justness, otherwise He would not be able to show us mercy.

Please rethink your position.

John

Upvote 0

ohgin

Dec 13, 2004
✟8,066.00
Faith
Christian
Well perhaps mayby he should not have used the word will. I think he should use the word plan. Only through man sinning then mercy can be shown. Only through man sinning, can God demonstrate his greatest love for us which is His sacrifice of his most beloved begotten son Jesus Christ. Only through the sufferings of sin would we have hope and really truely look forward for the kingdom of heaven to come.
Just my 10 cents

Reactions: GeorgeE
Upvote 0

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
ohgin said:
Well perhaps mayby he should not have used the word will. I think he should use the word plan. Only through man sinning then mercy can be shown. Only through man sinning, can God demonstrate his greatest love for us which is His sacrifice of his most beloved begotten son Jesus Christ. Only through the sufferings of sin would we have hope and really truely look forward for the kingdom of heaven to come.
Just my 10 cents
I agree 100 percent. God wants overcomers like it says in Revelation not excapist. Some people all they care abot is to get out of this mess. God put me here to grow and mature and to KNOW Him more and more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GeorgeE said:
The word freewill cannot be found anywhere in the Bible except for the the Old Testament Free Will Offering.

Yes man can sin freely, but God is in total control. God knew Adam would sin and with out Adam's sin there would be no need for a savior.

Rom 11:32: For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

predestination?

This is not to question in the slightest the position of any Calvinist as to whether they might be "in Christ"; or a genuine Christian. I believe that there are many such.

But... please read the following scriptures as being a vital part of the Book from which Calvinists claim to derive their doctrine of predestination.

Jeremiah 7:30,31... "For the children of Judah have done evil in My sight, says the Lord; they have set their abominations (extremely disgusting and shamefully vile things) in the house which is called by My Name to defile it. And they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the Valley of Ben-hinnom [son of Hinnom] to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire [in honor of Molech, the fire god]-- which I did not command, nor did it come into My mind or heart."

Jeremiah 19:3-5... "...Hear the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem. Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I am going to bring such evil upon this place that the ears of whoever hears of it will tingle. Because the people have forsaken Me and have estranged and profaned this place [Jerusalem] by burning incense in it to other gods that neither they nor their fathers nor the kings of Judah ever knew, and because they have filled this place with the blood of innocents... And have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, which I commanded not nor spoke of it, nor did it come into My mind and heart--" (both quotes from the Amplified Bible).

To adhere to five point calvinism, one must logically come to the conclusion that contrary to the very clear statements from the Lord in the above quotes, the evil/abominations (including burning their sons and daughters in sacrifice to false gods), which the kings and people did, were actually the will of the Lord! Blasphemy!

Contrary to that scenario, or Lord is "...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9b,NKJV)...

Shalom... WAB

Upvote 0

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ethan_Fetch said:
If God is eternal, immutible, omnipotent and omnipresent, how can He know a thing is going to come to pass and not also ordain it?

"If we are to believe that God has predestined certain ones to go to hell, then we must also believe that He predestined Adam and Eve should sin, and thus predestined all of the evil that followed. That is preposterous.

"The strict Calvinist says we are so utterly depraved that we cannot choose to receive Christ. But that argument cannot apply to Adam and Eve because they were created in innocence. If they, like us today, could choose only evil, then God's warnings to them not to eat of the forbidden fruit (and His appeals to us to come to Christ) are a farce."

Not only that, but the Almighty is outside of time, and sees from eternity to eternity.

Here is Joshua 24:15a... "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve..."

Was Joshua and those to whom he was giving the word of the LORD the only people in history who have had a choice?

Note: the first two para. are taken from a study appearing in TBC.

Shalom... WAB

Upvote 0

Ethan_Fetch

Veteran
Mar 2, 2006
Detroit Area
✟1,801.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WAB said:
"If we are to believe that God has predestined certain ones to go to hell, then we must also believe that He predestined Adam and Eve should sin, and thus predestined all of the evil that followed. That is preposterous.

Predestined is not the right word in this context. The word is used biblically only of redemption.

The word here is foreordained, and when we use it we must remember that we are speaking anthropotropically.

We have a beginning so we are bound by time, things have a "when" for us. There is a time before and a time after.

For God there is no time before and no time after, so in the case of Adam, simultaneous with God's knowledge that he would sin came the sin itself.

To suggest that God knows something but that He does not at the same time ordain it is to say that something can happen in His universe other than what He knows.

There can be no disconnect and to suggest one is to salve the flesh with dreams of autonomy.

This is the very sense in which Scripture speaks of Christ being the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world.

God is neither surprised nor does anything happen that is beyond His will.

WAB said:
"The strict Calvinist says we are so utterly depraved that we cannot choose to receive Christ. But that argument cannot apply to Adam and Eve because they were created in innocence. If they, like us today, could choose only evil, then God's warnings to them not to eat of the forbidden fruit (and His appeals to us to come to Christ) are a farce."

You jump to the conclusion that Calvinists believe that Adam and Eve could have chosen only to disobey God.

No Calvinist (or, really, very few) really maintains this.

Adam and Eve did not have a fallen nature and could have chosen differently, but they didn't and God not only knew they wouldn't but ordained it for His own glory.

WAB said:
Not only that, but the Almighty is outside of time, and sees from eternity to eternity.

I am glad you agree with me. More accurately though, it is better to say that God sees everything from an eternal, omnipresent perspective; i.e He sees everything now and from every possible angle.

And this is the crux of the biscuit: For this to be true, there can be no real disconnect between God's knowledge or sight and His ordination or will.

There can be only the artificial forcing of God into human mold by Arminians and others.

WAB said:
Here is Joshua 24:15a... "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve..."

And who does he say this to? He says it to people who are already in covenant with God, not to unbelievers.

Joshua is encouraging believers to a recommitment of faith and action in the name of that God who had brought them out of slavery to the land He had promised them.

WAB said:
Was Joshua and those to whom he was giving the word of the LORD the only people in history who have had a choice?

They didn't have a choice, the covenant is irrevocable and ultimately inescapable. Joshua was using a rhetorical device to call the Israelites to purity of intention and faith.

Upvote 0

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
prodromos said:
It is precisely because what Adam did was not the will of God that made it a sin. If Adam's disobedience in the garden was indeed God's will then it could not be a sin.

God is indeed sovereign but He is not subject to His own sovereignty, otherwise we would be mindless automatons capable only of doing God's will. God is likewise just but He is not subject to His justness, otherwise He would not be able to show us mercy.

Please rethink your position.

John
First of all God is not mindless; Adam’s problem with God is that He listened to someone other then God. This is why there is a separation. This was also God’s doing. God is developing son; yes we are made in the image of God; but the fall of Mankind is what God desires of His Children; it the process.

God is after. God is a balance God; God is love as well is a judge; but His essence is love; otherwise

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him

Romans 8: 20 For the creature was made subject to
vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Here again is God subjecting the creature to vanity; not by Adam’s freewill as many believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have heard believers say that God will not go against the will of man; like it is an excuse why people will not come to God.

I think this is very much contrary to what I see in scripture. Paul had no free will when the great light blinded Him; nor did Jonah have a choice when God put Him in the belly of the whale. What about Nebuchadnezzar when he became like a beast. What about Pharaoh when God hardened his heart. Adam’s sin was the beginning of the fall; without a sinner we have no reason to turn to a savior.

Upvote 0

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
WAB said:
predestination?

This is not to question in the slightest the position of any Calvinist as to whether they might be "in Christ"; or a genuine Christian. I believe that there are many such.

But... please read the following scriptures as being a vital part of the Book from which Calvinists claim to derive their doctrine of predestination.

Jeremiah 7:30,31... "For the children of Judah have done evil in My sight, says the Lord; they have set their abominations (extremely disgusting and shamefully vile things) in the house which is called by My Name to defile it. And they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the Valley of Ben-hinnom [son of Hinnom] to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire [in honor of Molech, the fire god]-- which I did not command, nor did it come into My mind or heart."

Jeremiah 19:3-5... "...Hear the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem. Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I am going to bring such evil upon this place that the ears of whoever hears of it will tingle. Because the people have forsaken Me and have estranged and profaned this place [Jerusalem] by burning incense in it to other gods that neither they nor their fathers nor the kings of Judah ever knew, and because they have filled this place with the blood of innocents... And have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, which I commanded not nor spoke of it, nor did it come into My mind and heart--" (both quotes from the Amplified Bible).

To adhere to five point calvinism, one must logically come to the conclusion that contrary to the very clear statements from the Lord in the above quotes, the evil/abominations (including burning their sons and daughters in sacrifice to false gods), which the kings and people did, were actually the will of the Lord! Blasphemy!

Contrary to that scenario, or Lord is "...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9b,NKJV)...

Shalom... WAB

Not Blasphemy; but scriptural…..

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and
create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid?
shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? (KJV)

1 Sam 16: 23 And it came to pass, when the
evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.
(KJV)

1 Sam 18:10 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the
evil spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied in the midst of the (KJV)

We are saved by grace not freewill. It is god who calls people to salvation, not freewill.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw (Greek drag) him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Last of all I do not believe in Hell, I do believe the evil will be punished but not eternally. Go to the thread
The Reality of Hell and you will not understand more why hell is a lie. This forum really does not like us to write about this subject. I debated quite a few people already on this subject and it would be a lot easier if you read my comments and then I would love to answer your questions.

Upvote 0

TreesNTrees

Jan 3, 2006
✟7,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GeorgeE said:
I have heard believers say that God will not go against the will of man; like it is an excuse why people will not come to God.

I think this is very much contrary to what I see in scripture. Paul had no free will when the great light blinded Him; nor did Jonah have a choice when God put Him in the belly of the whale. What about Nebuchadnezzar when he became like a beast. What about Pharaoh when God hardened his heart. Adam’s sin was the beginning of the fall; without a sinner we have no reason to turn to a savior.

And what about the figures of speech that weed out part of the statements?

If a parent says to their kids teasingly "I'm going to kill you for that", it's not mean, because the figure of speech is understood.

Of the verses you wrote, what are all the figures of speech involved, both for figurative meaning, and for literal emphasized meaning?

It seems that verses with the words "choose" or "choice" would be useful for this topic too.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
GeorgeE said:
God is not good; nor is He bad; He is God;
[bible]Mark 10:18[/bible]
His ways are higher then our ways and His will be done on earth as it is in heaven; BUT it is HIS WILL.
So what was the point of Jesus telling us to pray thus if God's will is a done deal in our lives?[bible]Matthew 6:10[/bible]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.