It only stands to reason

ORS

Sep 23, 2005
✟113.00
Faith
Christian
As my wife and I have tried to honestly wrestle through Calvinism she made the comment after reading Spurgeon's (who we love) defense of limited atonemnet, she said "It Only Stands To Reason seem to preface every leap away from the bounds that scripture puts on these thoughts." As I thought about this, I found eery time a man attempts to tie the TULIP into a neat bow, they need to preface "It only stands to reason" in front of those areas they leap off into the abyss of fallen man's reasoning. Reform theology always draws people of astounding intellect; however, it seems to turn into a man worshiping event instead of worshiping the astounding God of Calvin and Luther...we are all prone to disconnect from our only source of power (i.e., the Word) and connect our minds and thoughts to mens thoughts (where there is much truth but little to no power). It's all so subtle!

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"It only stands to reason" that "reason" means reason and not purple. "It only stands to reason" that "truth" means truth and not false. "It only stands to reason" that "God" is God and not a ham sandwich.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
it only stands to reason that if Jesus died for everyone there'd be no hell.

it only stands to reason that we are either completely unable to save ourselves & dead in our sins or we're fine & dandy.

it only stands to reason that God either elects us based on the pleasure of His good will, or there is something appealing about a buncha dead in their sins types.

it only stands to reason that if Jesus died for everyone there'd be no hell.

it only stands ta reason that God has to draw us to Himself, cuz on our own we tend to not be inclined that way.

it only stands ta reason that if salvation is entirely a work of the Trinity, then there is nothing for us to 'lose'

it only stands to reason that all that came from the Bible, as God's ways are so much higher than our ways that no mere man coulda (or weven woulda, for that matter) come up with those unman-centric points of grace/ not works on his own.

yeah, thanx for pointing out how logical & Biblically consistant TULIP is, it only stands to reason after all....

Upvote 0

CoffeeSwirls

snaps back wash after wash...
Apr 17, 2004
Ankeny, Iowa
Visit site
✟8,437.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It only stands to reason that God would force man to come before Him on His terms and not ours. If we had our way, we would be wrong and all would be saved. If we had our way, man would not be inclined to reject God and would naturally want to choose Him. God would have atoned for all and evangelism would not be subject to the moving of God.

Heck, if we had our way, God would be taken right out of the picture until it came time to receive our vast rewards!

Isaiah 48:11
For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another.

Reactions: JJB
Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ORS said:
As my wife and I have tried to honestly wrestle through Calvinism she made the comment after reading Spurgeon's (who we love) defense of limited atonemnet, she said "It Only Stands To Reason seem to preface every leap away from the bounds that scripture puts on these thoughts." As I thought about this, I found eery time a man attempts to tie the TULIP into a neat bow, they need to preface "It only stands to reason" in front of those areas they leap off into the abyss of fallen man's reasoning. Reform theology always draws people of astounding intellect; however, it seems to turn into a man worshiping event instead of worshiping the astounding God of Calvin and Luther...we are all prone to disconnect from our only source of power (i.e., the Word) and connect our minds and thoughts to mens thoughts (where there is much truth but little to no power). It's all so subtle!

People use logic to understand Scripture. It is the way we work. Are we not to accept the "reasonable" explanations the Scripture gives us? Or should we be driven by emotion to the point of irrationality?

Reason alone cannot save us, but the anti-intellectualism that tries to trump rational theology with emotion and experience is itself a deception intended to draw men away from the truth and hinder their fruitfulness.

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did you guys get the chance to read this?

frumanchu said:
People use logic to understand Scripture. It is the way we work. Are we not to accept the "reasonable" explanations the Scripture gives us? Or should we be driven by emotion to the point of irrationality?

Reason alone cannot save us,
but the anti-intellectualism that tries to trump rational theology with emotion and experience is itself a deception intended to draw men away from the truth and hinder their fruitfulness.

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Godzchild said:
It only stands to reason that it's quite possible that man's theology could be flawed.

Sure, yet it also stands to reason that God will do what he said he would do in and through his spirit; illuminate the minds of his people throughout the ages. Surely man has some idea what the true gospel message is. We can't just throw out any hope of actually understanding the scriptures, do we not have the Spirit's guidance?

Upvote 0

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Isaiah 1:18

"Come now, let us reason[a] together, says the LORD:
though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red like crimson,
they shall become like wool.

God.... loves reason! w00t!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godzchild

Jul 23, 2005
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
tigersnare said:
Sure, yet it also stands to reason that God will do what he said he would do in and through his spirit; illuminate the minds of his people throughout the ages. Surely man has some idea what the true gospel message is. We can't just throw out any hope of actually understanding the scriptures, do we not have the Spirit's guidance?

But every believer has this guidance but not every believer believes the same thing.

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Godzchild said:
But every believer has this guidance but not every believer believes the same thing.

Well don't confuse every believer having been given the Holy Spirit, with every believer having the sames abilities to interpret scripture. For instance, what do Calvin, Edwards and Augustine have that I don't? How about shear brilliance for one....I'm not saying the Spirit makes void our own God given attributes and talents.

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Godzchild said:
Does one need to be brilliant to understand the basic concepts of the written word?
Absolutely not. The Holy Spirit makes plain those things that the Father desires us to know.

What you have to remember is that the Holy Spirit does not illuminate us apart from the Scripture. We have to read the Scripture in order to receive the illumination of the Holy Spirit. I really do not think that you have to be highly intelligent to understand the finer points of the Bible. I firmly believe that the average person can be a brilliant theologian. The only problem is that the average person just does not desire to spend the time and effort at building up this knowledge. They would rather do other things than spend hours of their day reading the Bible and the writings of past theologians. This is really the thing that sets some of the more brilliant men of the past apart from the common man. It was not necessarily their intelligence, but it was their dedication to the word.
(Heb. 11:6 AV) And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

Godzchild

Jul 23, 2005
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jon_ said:
Absolutely not. The Holy Spirit makes plain those things that the Father desires us to know.

What you have to remember is that the Holy Spirit does not illuminate us apart from the Scripture. We have to read the Scripture in order to receive the illumination of the Holy Spirit. I really do not think that you have to be highly intelligent to understand the finer points of the Bible. I firmly believe that the average person can be a brilliant theologian. The only problem is that the average person just does not desire to spend the time and effort at building up this knowledge. They would rather do other things than spend hours of their day reading the Bible and the writings of past theologians. This is really the thing that sets some of the more brilliant men of the past apart from the common man. It was not necessarily their intelligence, but it was their dedication to the word.
(Heb. 11:6 AV) And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Maybe the reason that some don't "desire to spend the time and effort at building up this knowledge. They would rather do other things than spend hours of their day reading the Bible and the writings of past theologians." as you say is because.....

John 5:39-40 - You search and investigate and pore over the Scriptures diligently, because you suppose and trust that you have eternal life through them. And these [very Scriptures] testify about Me! And still you are not willing [but refuse] to come to Me, so that you might have life. .​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jon_ said:
I firmly believe that the average person can be a brilliant theologian. The only problem is that the average person just does not desire to spend the time and effort at building up this knowledge. They would rather do other things than spend hours of their day reading the Bible and the writings of past theologians. This is really the thing that sets some of the more brilliant men of the past apart from the common man. It was not necessarily their intelligence, but it was their dedication to the word.
Jon

BB Warfield thinks this, too.

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Jon_ said:

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Well I was referring to the question of "why don't two people always come to the same conclusion when reading scripture, if they are both illuminated by the holy Spirit". If we are throwing in variables such as reading writings of past theologians the argument changes completely.

If given enough commentaries and diligent study perhaps the average man could be a brilliant theologian. But I don't think just given his bible the average man can be a brilliant theologian. I agree that diligence is important, however I would disagree that shear intellectual giftedness does not play a large role.

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nah.

God speaks to diff people differently thru His word.

& anyway, BB Warfield sez it's the Holy Spirit that guides understanding, (he had a verse to support that statement, he wasn't just stating hunches) therefore, anyone can be a brilliant theologian if they read & study their Bible diligently.

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
tigersnare said:
If given enough commentaries and diligent study perhaps the average man could be a brilliant theologian. But I don't think just given his bible the average man can be a brilliant theologian. I agree that diligence is important, however I would disagree that shear intellectual giftedness does not play a large role.
Whence comes intellectual giftedness but from God?

The point that many highly intelligent people are completely idiots with regard to the Scripture and many people of unremarkable intelligence are amazing biblical scholars only reinforces God's sovereignty so much more in this way. God chooses those that will represent him. He will not be denied his remnant, but will choose "from the least of these" that will defend his word and receive his Son.

The Holy Spirit can and does illuminate even the darkest of minds and brings knowledge of truth to even the densest of heads. We know this is true because we see plenty of highly intelligent atheists that refuse to accept the basic truths of God's word and many very unintelligent people among God's sheep. What then shall we conclude? That it is not of him who wills nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Jon_ said:
Whence comes intellectual giftedness but from God?

The point that many highly intelligent people are completely idiots with regard to the Scripture and many people of unremarkable intelligence are amazing biblical scholars only reinforces God's sovereignty so much more in this way. God chooses those that will represent him. He will not be denied his remnant, but will choose "from the least of these" that will defend his word and receive his Son.

The Holy Spirit can and does illuminate even the darkest of minds and brings knowledge of truth to even the densest of heads. We know this is true because we see plenty of highly intelligent atheists that refuse to accept the basic truths of God's word and many very unintelligent people among God's sheep. What then shall we conclude? That it is not of him who wills nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Makes sense - consider minds like Stephen Hawking or Carl Sagan. These men (and others) study the vastness of God's universe, yet they ignore natural revelation and refuse to see Him. Then think about many of the leaders of reformed theology, for example John Bunyan or Charles Spurgeon. These men were from humble beginnings, did not have the benefit of seminary teaching yet they continue to influence Christians >100 years after their deaths.

Reactions: Jon_
Upvote 0