Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"8 feet" is a measurement.
"Space" is not a measurement.

"11 hrs, 36 min" is a measurement.
"Time" is not a measurement.
I see what you're saying now! Okay, here's my perspective to past, present, and future, as I believe this is what you mean by time.
Past is a concept of the mind brought on by our ability to remember and recollect events and emotions. Since we have the concept of past, we desire the concept of a future. Present is a little more complicated, because it can be conditional (i.e. imagination.)
Here we go, thoughts of past, present, and future are all happening Now. They don't exist outside our heads. Only Now is actually happening, and our brains use past, present, and future to help us survive and thrive. Now is where the Holy Ones will be. This is the whole purpose of my faith, and life for that matter.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If time simply measures motion, like Earth's orbit and rotation, then wouldn't that make time a concept of imagination. By this I mean, wouldn't time be a human concept? It wouldn't exist at all!

What do you think of this?

In Christianity, time exists independently.
In Buddhism, time does not exist.

• Agree
Reactions: TimMcCollum
Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In Christianity, time exists independently.
In Buddhism, time does not exist.
I find myself meditating all the time. I'm not Buddhist, but I absolutely enjoy life, as I'm sure Buddha did.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...Past is a concept of the mind brought on by our ability to remember and recollect events and emotions.....
Just to take one part of your post:

How do we remember and recollect if the past isnt something real? If the past is merely a mental construction, then did those events actually happen, or not?

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just to take one part of your post:

How do we remember and recollect if the past isnt something real? If the past is merely a mental construction, then did those events actually happen, or not?
I'm getting technical, but no they did not. Everything is Now. Only Now exists. Past, present, and future help us understand and manipulate our world. They are beautiful gifts God has given us, but there is the infinite Now, which is so much more than the others could ever be.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how you measure time. It makes much more sense, to me, that it itself is a measurement.

I could say that you can measure time ... via regularly occurring events, like sunrises, and phases of the moon, but I understand what you're saying.

You could say that time is the forward procession of existence.

I used to think very similarly to you.

What has made a bit of a difference for me is Einstein's notion of a space-time continuum (or context), which proposes that time can be manipulated with the right combinations of extreme mass or velocity. I don't really have a sense of how that is, but it is interesting to contemplate.

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What has made a bit of a difference for me is Einstein's notion of a space-time continuum (or context), which proposes that time can be manipulated with the right combinations of extreme mass or velocity. I don't really have a sense of how that is, but it is interesting to contemplate.
Be warry of believing someone just because everyone else does. Hitler wasn't long enough ago, and I apologize for comparing Einstein to Hitler. Very different people.
Even mathematics itself is flawed by the simple equation 1=1. There is no thing that is the same as another thing. They can be as similar as you want them to be, but they will never be the same.
Always keep an eye out for flaws of human beliefs. We learn in psychology that most of what humans initially perceive or believe is false (especially in forensics.) It's upsetting how bad we get things wrong sometimes.

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But Now is not all there has ever been ... and Now is not all there will ever be ...
This is where you must disconnect from your human brain to your spiritual being. Now is forever. Past, present, and future only happen to being with memory and recollection so they are finite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Always keep an eye out for flaws of human beliefs. We learn in psychology that most of what humans initially perceive or believe is false (especially in forensics.) It's upsetting how bad we get things wrong sometimes.

We can be pretty right sometimes.

All of the benefits of modern science, medicine, and technology we enjoy depends upon us getting some things right ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We can be pretty right sometimes.

All of the benefits of modern science, medicine, and technology we enjoy depends upon us getting some things right ...
You are right. We got a ton right, but there are things we didn't account for. Antibacterial medications saved countless lives, but we may be dealing with drug resistant bugs because of them. We can't know everything. Humanity has been proven wrong time and time again. It's a flaw of mine to not trust the mainstream ideologies.

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did Buddha enjoy life ? I thought he was avoiding sorrow ...
At first, but when he decided life was worth living he led the healthy life. Just because death freaked him out didn't mean he was afraid to die in the end.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm getting technical, but no they did not. Everything is Now. Only Now exists. Past, present, and future help us understand and manipulate our world. They are beautiful gifts God has given us, but there is the infinite Now, which is so much more than the others could ever be.
So, you were never actually a child?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am. That is all there is.
Well I'm pretty sure actually were a child, in a past that actually happened, which you now recollect.

Of course the present is all there IS. I mean thats true by the definition the present-tense word "is".

But that doesnt mean the past didnt actually happen.

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well I'm pretty sure actually were a child, in a past that actually happened, which you now recollect.

Of course the present is all there IS. I mean thats true by the definition the present-tense word "is".

But that doesnt mean the past didnt actually happen.
If it helps, Now has saved my life more than once. The Holy Ones are Now. Heaven exists on Earth and beyond in the Now that I'm speaking of. Once you go Now, you will never be the same.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.