Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's nearly perfect. It's flawed, because humans made it, but we can agree to disagree on that if you want. For all intensive purposes it works wonders and won't be going away anytime soon, but it isn't real. It's a concept.
How do you know that humans made time any more they made, say, space?

Reactions: TimMcCollum
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If time simply measures motion, like Earth's orbit and rotation, then wouldn't that make time a concept of imagination. By this I mean, wouldn't time be a human concept? It wouldn't exist at all!

What do you think of this?

I see time as more a 4th dimension of existence ... in addition to height, depth, and breath ...

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know that humans made time any more they made, say, space?
It is much more tangible to touch the concept of motion than time. I believe we can agree on that. You can touch a clock, but you're touching the motion of the hands, not time itself. The motion of the hands dictates where in time we are, but if a dog looked at the clock then he wouldn't be inside time. Dogs don't know what 3 o'clock is. This is from my idea that nothing other than humans have the concept of time.

As for Space, I'm not sure. I put my faith in God creating Her.

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I see time as more a 4th dimension of existence ... in addition to height, depth, and breath ...
I agree that there is a fourth dimension. I believe it's motion though. Length, width, depth, motion, reproduction, displacement...I'm not sure where else it could go. It is cool to think about!

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That conceptualization helps a lot of things fall in place.

But... there are some interesting differences between time and space. For example, you can go both forward and backward along any of the spatial dimensions with ease. Try doing that along the time "dimension".

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That conceptualization helps a lot of things fall in place.

But... there are some interesting differences between time and space. I mean you can go both forward and backward along any of the spatial dimensions with ease. Try doing that along the time "dimension".

Agreed. There are some differences between traversing time and space ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the macroscopic world time appears to "move" in one direction only but in the quantum world a future event can cause an event in the past. Boggles the mind doesn't it?
Used to.

But I've grown accustomed to encountering concepts that dont make sense at the human scale of experience. I'm not jaded. Nor am I special. I've just come to realize and accept that common sense and many intuitions are human-scale biased.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Time is Creation. Nothing existed before then. God created days, night, day, seasons. That was all set up in a repeated motion of time sequences. So time was created for man for God is eternal and eternity is endless.
God exists outside time. This doesn't mean we exist inside time. In fact, time is a concept we created. I'm not sure how else to explain my idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Atomically, everything is moving.

True ... but I see motion as a feature of existence, rather than part of the context of existence, which is the way I see time.

So then, existence spawns motion, rather than motion spawning existence ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God exists outside time. This doesn't mean we exist inside time. In fact, time is a concept we created. I'm not sure how else to explain my idea.

I would counter that time is part of the framework of existence ... that God created. We can measure it, like we can measure space, but we did not originate it.

Upvote 0

TimMcCollum

Dec 25, 2018
Raleigh
✟17,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would counter that time is part of the framework of existence ... that God created. We can measure it, like we can measure space, but we did not originate it.
I'm not sure how you measure time. It makes much more sense, to me, that it itself is a measurement.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how you measure time. It makes much more sense, to me, that it itself is a measurement.
"8 feet" is a measurement.
"Space" is not a measurement.

"11 hrs, 36 min" is a measurement.
"Time" is not a measurement.

Reactions: TimMcCollum
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.