keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not at all. I do yoga and have done for years.

Yes, Hindus view yoga as a spiritual act, but I see it as relaxation and exercise. It is not a sin at all in my eyes. If I do yoga as a means of worshipping a Hindu God - then yes it can be sinful. But, not otherwise.

I pretty much agree. However a lot of Yoga involves getting into a meditative state. I think some caution is in order there. Even as a non-Christian I can see reasons to avoid Yoga in an environment where teh Hindu spirtual side is pushed. For a Christian I'd echo and modify what ahs been said before. Pick your own chant, heck if Catholic go with Hail Marys or Our Fathers, if not Catholic pick your own chant that directly praises God if one desires to be extra careful. (If one believes in demonic forces or for that matter even the power of words it does seem foolish to repeat a chant whose meaning one dioes not know).

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
I pretty much agree. However a lot of Yoga involves getting into a meditative state. I think some caution is in order there. Even as a non-Christian I can see reasons to avoid Yoga in an environment where teh Hindu spirtual side is pushed. For a Christian I'd echo and modify what ahs been said before. Pick your own chant, heck if Catholic go with Hail Marys or Our Fathers, if not Catholic pick your own chant that directly praises God if one desires to be extra careful. (If one believes in demonic forces or for that matter even the power of words it does seem foolish to repeat a chant whose meaning one dioes not know).

I don't think meditation is only for a Hindu. I meditate to relax, to have some calm and after a stressful day. If one is meditating to reach God, then perhaps the Hindu side of it is coming out, but meditation in general, or in yoga, isn't necessary a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
btw, gishin in Korean means ghost. Irrelevant factoid of the day.
In Japanese, Gishin can mean depending on kanji:
"doubt; suspicion; fear; apprehension"
"chivalrous spirit" (spirit as in team spirit, fighting spirit, not the literal ghost)
"loyal retainer"
"adoptive parent"

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think meditation is only for a Hindu. I meditate to relax, to have some calm and after a stressful day. If one is meditating to reach God, then perhaps the Hindu side of it is coming out, but meditation in general, or in yoga, isn't necessary a bad thing.

Sorry if I was unclear. The meditation is far from bad in a Christian context, the problem would be when it is specifically Hindu in nature or where the environment presents other issues where the letting down of your guard that often accompanies meditation would be inadvisable.

I think we are basically in agreement, just subtle differences and ways of expressing things.

I believe somewhere in the Bible there is a verse about straying neither to teh right or the left, meaning that one can error in either direction on many thigns. I think Yoga fits that well, blanket acceptacen or rejection are both straying from the path.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can you say that demonic possession isn't real? The Bible talks about it.

The bible talks about alot of things that arent real sweetheart. =)

Jesus cast out demons. People are walking around demon possessed every day.

You have scientific proof of this?

Satan and his demons are on the loose in this world. Demons can attack a Christian, but not possess a Christian who has the Holy Spirit dwelling in them, however, the devil can influence you and demons can mess with you if you are using mantras -chants- and you're not aware of what you are actually saying.

But people are aware of what theyre saying. Ive done Yoga. Ive said "oooohhhhhhmmmmmm" before. Demons havn't possessed me. Demons havn't possessed the MILLIONS of other people who've done it.

Are you suggesting that the majority of the world(bc the majority of the world IS NOT christian in the sense you're speaking of, the sense your church and parish has instilled you with without giving you a single shred of physical proof to believe it) is demonically possessed? Bc the majority of the world is not christian, and practices some other form of faith or secularism. And according to you, demon possession is just that easy.

I think its insane that people would have the audacity to lie to their kids by inundating and instilling the fear of demonic possession in them as a form of social control....it infuriates me sometimes that there are homeschooled kids out there right now, and thats what they learn from their parents....

Upvote 0

Aradia

Apr 10, 2003
Visit site
✟16,069.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
I think it's good to get the perspective of both christians and non-christians -- more importantly, it's important to get the perspective from people who know something about both christianity and yoga. Someone who knows about christianity but knows nothing of yoga may automatically assume that because it's part of hinduism, it must be evil. Someone who knows about yoga but knows nothing of christianity may also make improper assumptions. And, though I'm sure his heart was in the right place, benglobal's summary of yoga/hinduism/etc was far from accurate.

"Yoga" comes in many forms and flavours. The typical exercise variety is hatha yoga. Likewise, meditation comes in many forms and flavours. The religious aspect of all of these things is very much grounded in psychological functions -- alone, the physical (exercise) components don't accomplish anything other than working out your muscles. =D

And if someone believes in demonic possession, then I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry. Just stick to the physical stuff, and ignore the mantras (chanting) and meditation if you aren't comfortable with them (i.e., you don't REALLY understand what's going on).

Upvote 0

benglobal

A square peg in a round hole.
Nov 3, 2010
✟15,349.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
I think it's good to get the perspective of both christians and non-christians -- more importantly, it's important to get the perspective from people who know something about both christianity and yoga. Someone who knows about christianity but knows nothing of yoga may automatically assume that because it's part of hinduism, it must be evil. Someone who knows about yoga but knows nothing of christianity may also make improper assumptions. And, though I'm sure his heart was in the right place, benglobal's summary of yoga/hinduism/etc was far from accurate.

"Yoga" comes in many forms and flavours. The typical exercise variety is hatha yoga. Likewise, meditation comes in many forms and flavours. The religious aspect of all of these things is very much grounded in psychological functions -- alone, the physical (exercise) components don't accomplish anything other than working out your muscles. =D

And if someone believes in demonic possession, then I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry. Just stick to the physical stuff, and ignore the mantras (chanting) and meditation if you aren't comfortable with them (i.e., you don't REALLY understand what's going on).

Which bit's were inaccurate. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aradia

Apr 10, 2003
Visit site
✟16,069.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Which bit's were inaccurate, I ask from an understanding perspective. :)

Quoting from your post:

Yoga has been around for many thousands of years, about 5,500 approx and was introduced in the vedic scriptures which is the Hindu text.

There are different forms of yoga, developed at different periods of time. Hatha yoga (the basis of the modern exercise type of yoga) is only around 600 years old or so, though it's based on earlier stuff. Earliest references to possibly yogic stuff predates the vedas, and a lot of fleshing out of different yogic stuff didn't occur until the upanishads, post-dating the vedas.

The yoga was the physical conditioning that was taught to cleanse the body along with an Ayuavedic diet so that the body was physically balenced before meditation took place.

Actually, one of the forms of yoga (and the earliest) was not physical, it was the meditative form of yoga.

The early Hindus acknowledged many gods but later moved towards just one ( Generally).

Be careful about the term "hindu/hinduism". Hinduism is a fairly modern branch of the lineage stretching back through brahmanism and vedic culture.

Most yogi's ( advanced yoga Practitioners) or Hindu swami's (wise men) aknowledge Jesus as a prophet. Buddism branched off from Hinduism with less emphasis on God as he cannot be known and focuses on an inward stillness and peace with yoga and meditation as the core. If the Um or Aum part don't agree then don't use them.

Ostensibly, buddhism branched off from late vedic/early brahmanic culture (not hinduism), with zero emphasis on god. However, there is research that makes the argument that buddhism and other samanic, non-vedic groups were not branches of vedic culture, but rather were spawned from an entirely separate culture.

I think those were the most glaring tidbits. If you're interested in more, please start a new thread in the world religions forum or send me a pm.

Upvote 0

benglobal

Nov 3, 2010
✟15,349.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Quoting from your post:

There are different forms of yoga, developed at different periods of time. Hatha yoga (the basis of the modern exercise type of yoga) is only around 600 years old or so, though it's based on earlier stuff. Earliest references to possibly yogic stuff predates the vedas, and a lot of fleshing out of different yogic stuff didn't occur until the upanishads, post-dating the vedas.

Actually, one of the forms of yoga (and the earliest) was not physical, it was the meditative form of yoga.

Be careful about the term "hindu/hinduism". Hinduism is a fairly modern branch of the lineage stretching back through brahmanism and vedic culture.

Ostensibly, buddhism branched off from late vedic/early brahmanic culture (not hinduism), with zero emphasis on god. However, there is research that makes the argument that buddhism and other samanic, non-vedic groups were not branches of vedic culture, but rather were spawned from an entirely separate culture.

I think those were the most glaring tidbits. If you're interested in more, please start a new thread in the world religions forum or send me a pm.

Yoga means in union as I sure you are aware, it is generally thought that this union is mind, body and spirit, so yes a meditative action alone could be considered this union also.

I thought that Siddhartha Guatama was the founder of Buddhism who was a Hindu Prince who broke away from Hinduism and embarked on the Buddhist teachings?

Yoga in the west is viewed mostly from a physical aspect that has many benefits in regards physical conditioning and a focus on the breath creating inner peace and harmony.

In answer to the orginal post yoga is not a sin and doesn't really have any religous aspects to it in this form of body and mind balence, nor does it invoke demon's.

Upvote 0

Aradia

Apr 10, 2003
Visit site
✟16,069.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
I thought that Siddhartha Guatama was the founder of Buddhism who was a Hindu Prince who broke away from Hinduism and embarked on the Buddhist teachings?

1) It was Brahmanism, not Hinduism, if you want to get specific. ;)
2) That's the story... but do you believe everything you read or hear? *grin* Johannes Bronkhorst (a well-respected buddhist and sanskrit scholar) did a thorough cultural study of the magadha region of india, compiled in "Greater Magadha" (it's a big and expensive book -- uni libraries may have or be able to acquire a copy). It's his hypothesis that buddhism, jainism, and the other samanic groups of that region stemmed from an entirely separate magadhan culture, separate from the vedas or vedic culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benglobal

Nov 3, 2010
✟15,349.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
1) It was Brahmanism, not Hinduism, if you want to get specific. ;)
2) That's the story... but do you believe everything you read or hear? *grin* Johannes Bronkhorst (a well-respected buddhist and sanskrit scholar) did a thorough cultural study of the magadha region of india, compiled in "Greater Magadha" (it's a big and expensive book -- uni libraries may have or be able to acquire a copy). It's his hypothesis that buddhism, jainism, and the other samanic groups of that region stemmed from an entirely separate magadhan culture, separate from the vedas or vedic culture.

I'm am not a scholar nor a Buddhist so I am not qualified on either count to debate with any real weight. :)

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

I do yoga but I am a Christian now and I am wondering if the yoga oms are sin because on this bible website

Bible.com

It has anwsers for witchcraft but this man who gives the answer says he was in bondage on yoga? (the black letters on the very bottom)

Quoted from the site "
Michael Sherif practiced mantra yoga (meditated silently on a supposedly "meaningless" sound which was really the vehicle that drew him into a "Hindu" deity or really a demon from our Christian perspective). He was in bondage to this, in combination with hatha yoga for six years. According to his testimony this was a horrible experience for him. Yoga involvement is really an exercise in a demonic activity which is portrayed as "fun" and "healthy" that can lead to demonic possession. He experienced different states of sensory consciousness which were dark and sterile until Jesus set him free. Since then he has written many articles exposing the works of darkness and New Age philosophies. You may read them at his website: www.earthharvest.org"

I do not understand because I just do yoga for flexibility and for exercise so I would like if someone could please anwser me because I am doing yoga in college.

I like doing yoga but I don't want to get Jesus mad, here is a verse that im also wondering about.

If you're a Christian, you can't be demon posessed. But if you're a Christian, why would you want to take part in a pagan religion's salvific rituals?

1 Cor. 6:12
"Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial.
"Everything is permissible for me" - but I will not be mastered by anything.
I guess it means you can do what you want but you'll end up paying for it.

No, that isn't what it means at all. Read the rest of the passage. It tells you that Paul is talking about fleeing fornication, not engaging in pagan rituals.

I do not want to do yoga anymore if it is gonna jack me up can someone anwser please?

Another thing to consider is that, by doing yoga, what does that do to a weaker brother or sister? What message does it send to the world?

If Yoga were just stretching exercises, then it would be fine. But it isn't. It is a pagan religious practice.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If you're a Christian, you can't be demon posessed. But if you're a Christian, why would you want to take part in a pagan religion's salvific rituals?

If you're a Christian, why would you want to name yourself after a creation of Ayn Rand, notorious antitheist?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Another thing to consider is that, by doing yoga, what does that do to a weaker brother or sister? What message does it send to the world?

Since I'm part of the world, I have to say that it sends a very positive message. It shows that Christians don't have to be xenophobic tribalists who are frightened of anything outside of their narrow boundaries.

I like your screenname, btw. It sends a good message to me that you would name yourself after a fictional atheist.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Its excercise. And its good for you. But If one would like to practice it as apart of their religious beliefs, thats their decision, and its hurting absolutely no one.

What message are you sending by suggesting that cultures, beliefs and practices other than your own are bad and terrible things? Are you suggesting we should all be xenophobic and hateful of all things "unchristian"?

If Yoga were just stretching exercises, then it would be fine. But it isn't. It is a pagan religious practice.

Who cares? Why not try taking a chance in respecting other cultures and not labeling them as bad?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

John_Galt

Its excercise. And its good for you. But If one would like to practice it as apart of their religious beliefs, thats their decision, and its hurting absolutely no one.

It's also a part of a pagan religion's salvific practices.

What message are you sending by suggesting that cultures, beliefs and practices other than your own are bad and terrible things?

A Biblical one.

Are you suggesting we should all be xenophobic and hateful of all things "unchristian"?

I'm suggesting that Christians should be Christians.

Who cares? Why not try taking a chance in respecting other cultures and not labeling them as bad?

Some of us are Christians and take Biblical instruction seriously.

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

Since I'm part of the world, I have to say that it sends a very positive message. It shows that Christians don't have to be xenophobic tribalists who are frightened of anything outside of their narrow boundaries.

It has nothing to do with fear. It has to do with obedience and what is conducive to growth in Christ.

I like your screenname, btw. It sends a good message to me that you would name yourself after a fictional atheist.

All atheists are fictional.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's also a part of a pagan religion's salvific practices.

So what? TV, football, and Monopoly weren't created by the Judeo-Christian God. That must mean the practice of watching TV, football and playing Monopoly are pagan.

A Biblical one.

Remind me what part of the Bible God says to be a xenophobic little snivler by disrespecting others' cultures world-wide.

I'm suggesting that Christians should be Christians.

Okay, so you're suggesting Christians need to be xenophobic and hateful of all things that aren't "christian" by your radical and archaic standards.

From what I understand, Jesus doesn't tell us to hate everything that isn't strictly in black and white biblically endorsed.

Some of us are Christians and take Biblical instruction seriously.

Like stoning disobedient children? Putting to death gays? Making women sit away from the dinner table on their periods? Eating shellfish is evil and unclean?

And some people are just plain whacko and nutbars too. Ever hear of literary devices such as context, allegory and symbolism?

You seek to segregate people into sectarian covenants....very dangerous...

Upvote 0