Is YEC science? Is is even really a theory?

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'd have to see how this was done. It dates to approximately 26,000 BP, as supported by radiocarbon dating. What was radiocarbon dated? How was a dated - what baseline was used....what atmospheric carbon level was assumed? But most importantly - what was carbon dated?

Just answer the question. Don't dodge the issue by pretending that somehow you're tacking into something important:
Explain the fact of the settlement of Dolní Věstonice, a Paleolithic settlement which includes art and engravings, and is dated to have be lived in between 27,000 and 20,000 BC, with your view of history.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now you're just saying something off of the cuff like AV would ... ^_^

C'mon now, Estrid! It's not like the the quote, "phil majors are the most tiresome people on campus," isn't a meme ... I've heard it already from others more than once. It's been around in one form or another since at least the time of Socrates.

But there's a funny thing about memes ... sometimes they turn out to be mere rhetoric.
You said logic doesn't do much
and when I agreed then you
compare me to that person for it.
Cheap cheap shot.

I dunno about meme, is it?
It's what I observed.

Others have too.
A lot of sayings are sayings because they
are so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cheap cheap shot.

It's what I observed.

Others have too.
are so.

Right. The trick is to understand my semantic slight. What do you think I meant by that previous comment, Estrid?

Do you think I meant to refer to Logic as it actually is withing the bastions of the academic halls of the average or better secular university?

Or, do you think I was insinuating that I see a lot of people use the word, "Logic" as if it's a magic, self-evident word for which everyone knows its professional entailment when the truth is, there are various forms of 'logic' and varied uses for these forms.

So yeah. When I hear folks say "Logic dictages such and such," so often all it ends up being is a reference to someone hodge-podged, quite loose attempt at what they think is a deduction, but it's neither valid nor sound. Maybe valid, but then still not sound.

That crap has to stop.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

Is than an axiological statement?
Yes, it is. Which isn't to say that it's only an axiological statement, where certain other semantic considerations are disambiguated and met. :dontcare:

So, axiologically, I have this personal value; you have this personal value. But someone like Estrid does not yet have this personal value.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, axiologically, I have this personal value; you have this personal value. But someone like Estrid does not yet have this personal value.
We need to pray for her.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cheap cheap shot.

It's what I observed.

Others have too.
are so.

I'm sorry if you think I tossed a cheap shot, but just keep in mind that I actually respect your knowledge base and your academic efforts in Geology. I'm glad you're here to help clarify issues regarding its relevance when and where it's useful in these discussions.

My guess is that you have unfortunately been subject to the opinions of a number of shall I say, more mystically inclined Christians ... that's unfortunate. Because we all really know that 5 pointed leaves don't take precedence over the power of Shamrocks. ^_^

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Maybe it is, and they just don't know it?
The issue is that Platte thinks ancient writing is actually Antideluvian in origin.

Despite the broadly similar major events, your and their version of the 6000 year history of the Earth have a number of different details.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The issue is that Platte thinks ancient writing is actually Antideluvian in origin.
My take on writing skills is that Adam was created mature (but without a history) and had the ability to write.

He wrote Genesis 1.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry if you think I tossed a cheap shot, but just keep in mind that I actually respect your knowledge base and your academic efforts in Geology. I'm glad you're here to help clarify issues regarding its relevance when and where it's useful in these discussions.

My guess is that you have unfortunately been subject to the opinions of a number of shall I say, more mystically inclined Christians ... that's unfortunate. Because we all really know that 5 pointed leaves don't take precedence over the power of Shamrocks. ^_^
You forgot that the word "if" cancels or reverses
the " sorry".

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Right. The trick is to understand my semantic slight. What do you think I meant by that previous comment, Estrid?

Do you think I meant to refer to Logic as it actually is withing the bastions of the academic halls of the average or better secular university?

Or, do you think I was insinuating that I see a lot of people use the word, "Logic" as if it's a magic, self-evident word for which everyone knows its professional entailment when the truth is, there are various forms of 'logic' and varied uses for these forms.

So yeah. When I hear folks say "Logic dictages such and such," so often all it ends up being is a reference to someone hodge-podged, quite loose attempt at what they think is a deduction, but it's neither valid nor sound. Maybe valid, but then still not sound.

That crap has to stop.
Then stop

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do you always deny any research that
doesn't match religious beliefs?
I don't accept something just because its research. I make my own conclusions based on the evidence presented. Thats why I asked the questions - I didn't deny anything.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't accept something just because its research. I make my own conclusions based on the evidence presented. Thats why I asked the questions - I didn't deny anything.
Actually I asked if you always deny.

Research that shows there was no flood
is not auto- rejected till you find something
that seems to negate it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why? Why is not a fact? In what way are you qualified to say that it's not a fact?
In fairness, the data in such cases may all
indicate such an age but if you are going to
say "fact" it's best to use it like, "it's a fact that this
is the data", not "fact" as in proof.

So I gotta agree with platte

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Research that shows there was no flood ...
Research should show there was no Flood.

God cleaned up the mess.

If Adam came back into existence today, and they researched his ribs, would they be able to find a scar where God took one out?

Of course not.

Therefore, I'm sure they would conclude Adam was born that way.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In other words this is an exercise in confirmation bias where you reject or accept the evidence depending on the narrative and not the science.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What evidence do you refute? Artifacts? Archaeology? Something else?

Artifacts from Dolní Vestonice

The site has three separate parts (called in the literature DV1, DV2, and DV3), but all of them represent the same Gravettian occupation: they were named after the excavation trenches that were dug to investigate them. Among the features identified at Dolní Vestonice are hearths, possible structures, and human burials. One grave contains two men and one woman; a lithic tool workshop has also been identified. One grave of an adult woman contained burial goods, including several stone tools, five fox incisors and a mammoth scapula. In addition, a thin layer of red ochre was placed over the bones, indicating a specific burial ritual.​
Lithic tools from the site include distinctive Gravettian objects, such as backed points, blades and bladelets. Other artifacts recovered from Dolní Vestonice include mammoth ivory and bone battens, which have been interpreted as loom sticks, evidence of weaving during the Gravettian. Other important finds at Dolni Vestonice include fired-clay figurines, such as the venus illustrated above.​
Radiocarbon dates on the human remains and charcoal recovered from hearths range between 31,383-30,869 calibrated radiocarbon years before the present (cal BP).​

Archaeology at Dolní Vestonice

Discovered in 1922, Dolní Vestonice was first excavated during the first half of the 20th century. A salvage operation was undertaken in the 1980s, when borrowing of the soil for dam construction was eminent. Much of the original DV2 excavation was destroyed during the dam construction, but the operation which exposed additional Gravettian deposits in the region. Ivestigations in the 1990s were conducted by Petr Škrdla of the Institute of Archaeology at Brno. These excavations continue as part of the Moravian Gate Project, an international project including the Centre for Palaeolithic and Palaeoethnological Research at the Institute of Archaeology, Academy of Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic and the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research at the University of Cambridge in the UK.​
1670535477732.png

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0