Is YEC science? Is is even really a theory?

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's older than than.

Our ancestors have been deliberately creating cave art for at least 60,000 years.

We've been wearing animal skins for at least 400,000 years (and likely as far back as 750,000 years), making jewelry for at least 140,000 years and burying our dead for at least 125,000 years. Even complex activities, like making flutes and pipes, dates back at least 60,000 years.
It's possible the original Australians were using watercraft at least 120,000 years ago!!!

Reactions: Gene2memE

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Encyclopedia Britannica disagrees:

SOURCE
And once again you are missing the point.
Recall I gave the devil's advocate option of Thutmose I being the pharaoh of the Exodus.
How is it the Egyptian empire lasted for another four centuries when most of Egypt's population vanished with the Exodus.
It makes the fiddling of the dates involving Thutmose I and II irrelevant.

Here is the list of the 18th dynasty pharaohs and their reigns when Egypt was at its most powerful.

dynasty18graph.jpg
There are some very interesting characters in the list.
The female pharaoh Hatshepsut, Thutmose III and Amenhotep III were considered among Egypt's greatest pharaohs, Akhenaten did away with the state religion and was considered the worlds first monotheist and the insignificant Tutankhamen was made famous for the discovery of his tomb.
Then there are the dark characters such as Amenhotep II as the first recorded psychopath in history and Ay a possible serial killer who bumped off a number of Tutankhamen's relatives including the hypothesis Tutankhamen as well to obtain the throne.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And once again you are missing the point.
Then I'm done with this pharaoh junk.

You're post 486, where you showed a picture of Thutmose II and said:
Houston we have a problem.

If this is the accepted date according to some dude in the 17th century then the pharaoh concerned is no other than Thutmose II.

Unfortunately for you we have the body and it appears that poor Thutmose didn't die by drowning in the Red sea but possibly of some infectious disease.
... can take a hike.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How does History (recorded) contradict YEC - I don't understand the contradiction you say exists. And again - what is the massive problem you are saying exists? (I'm asking respectfully)

The part where the scribes forgot to etch into the history this line:

In the third year of his reign, the whole of Egypt, even the desert and mountains was covered with water and all of the beasts and all of the people died.

In the forth year of his reign, the harvest was bountiful and the pharaoh lead his army to victory over the Nubians and they sent much gold and precious gems as tribute.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In the third year of his reign, the whole of Egypt, even the desert and mountains was covered with water and all of the beasts and all of the people died.

In the forth year of his reign, the harvest was bountiful and the pharaoh lead his army to victory over the Nubians and they sent much gold and precious gems as tribute.
If you really want to use pharaoh time to harp on something in the Bible, harp on how the pharaohs didn't even exist until well after the Flood, since the Egyptians came from Mizraim, who was Noah's grandson.

Genesis 10:6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then I'm done with this pharaoh junk.

You're post 486, where you showed a picture of Thutmose II and said:

... can take a hike.
Your post has no substance but plenty of angst.
Here is something else to upset you.
If Exodus is a historical account of what happened isn't it remarkable the pharaoh a central figure is never identified by name.

In other books of the Old Testament where history plays a greater role than the story telling of Genesis or Exodus, five historically attested pharaohs are mentioned in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Good response.

How does History (recorded) contradict YEC - I don't understand the contradiction you say exists. And again - what is the massive problem you are saying exists? (I'm asking respectfully)

I agree the scientific evidence does not support the Earth being created 6000 years ago....but History (recorded) does - that's the primary point I was making and that is stunning to me.
I'll try to explain.

The common YEC narrative has something very similar to this timeline:

~4000 BC : Creation of world
~2500 BC : Entire world is destroyed by the Flood
~2000 BC : Tower of Babel causes the creation of diverse languages

This is directly contradicted by ancient Mesopotamian civilisations having recognisable writing from 4000 BC. It both shouldn't exist because language variety doesn't exist until the Tower and all evidence should have been destroyed by the Flood.

The other issue with history supporting the YEC narrative is that while it certainly has things in common with the Bible, the most ancient records show a different religion and history to the Biblical one.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Where do you get "In the third year of his reign, the whole of Egypt, even the desert and mountains was covered with water and all of the beasts and all of the people died"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'll try to explain.

The common YEC narrative has something very similar to this timeline:

~4000 BC : Creation of world
~2500 BC : Entire world is destroyed by the Flood
~2000 BC : Tower of Babel causes the creation of diverse languages

This is directly contradicted by ancient Mesopotamian civilisations having recognisable writing from 4000 BC. It both shouldn't exist because language variety doesn't exist until the Tower and all evidence should have been destroyed by the Flood.

The other issue with history supporting the YEC narrative is that while it certainly has things in common with the Bible, the most ancient records show a different religion and history to the Biblical one.
Where do you get that language variety doesn't exists before the Tower of Babel? The Bible doesn't say that.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Where do you get "In the third year of his reign, the whole of Egypt, even the desert and mountains was covered with water and all of the beasts and all of the people died"?

I made it up. It is a fictional example of what is missing from the Egyptian records.

(Also, if everyone died then so did the scribe.)

The fact that Egyptian history just goes on past said flood is strong historical evidence that the flood as described in Genesis is not correct.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The fact that Egyptian history just goes on past said flood is strong historical evidence that the flood as described in Genesis is not correct.
God blessed Noah and his sons ...

Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

From Adam Clarke's Commentary:
Even the increase of families, which appears to depend on merely natural means, and sometimes fortuitous circumstances, is all of God. It is by his power and wisdom that the human being is formed, and it is by his providence alone that man is supported and preserved.

God had future plans for Egypt:

Matthew 2:15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

It stands to reason He wouldn't let Egypt be destroyed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Where do you get that language variety doesn't exists before the Tower of Babel? The Bible doesn't say that.
Genesis 11
6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 11
6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Sure. That is referring to a time post flood. The Bible makes no mention as to language variety pre flood - which certainly could have and likely did exists

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I made it up. It is a fictional example of what is missing from the Egyptian records.

(Also, if everyone died then so did the scribe.)

While YEC certainly believe that there was a world-wide Noah flood (since that is what the Bible says)....the primary tenant of YEC is that the earth is young (God created it approximately 6000 years ago). It is that tenant that I find stunning that History (recorded) begins about 6000 years ago and in the Middle East in line with YEC belief of God creating the earth same time and place (where man was created).

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Neanderthals, long perceived to have been unsophisticated and brutish, really did paint stalagmites in a Spanish cave more than 60,000 years ago, according to a study published on Monday.
Wow - what great scientific evidence that study presented....lol. Its so funny how people such as you can so easily question and marginalize the accuracy of the Bible but have no qualm when reading silly garbage like that study.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow - what great scientific evidence that study presented....lol. Its so funny how people such as you can so easily question and marginalize the accuracy of the Bible but have no qualm when reading silly garbage like that study.
Are you familiar/interested in my take on Neanderthals and Cro-magnons?

Upvote 0