Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
One of the most common questions I see asked on these forums, and even outside of these forums, is some form of this question is [something or other] a sin?

The reason why these questions are asked are understandable. If, as Christians, we want to be faithful in our obedience to God and our witness to Christ, we desire to abstain from sinful thoughts and behaviors. The Scriptures tell us to seek the way of God, to have the mind of Christ, and to live justly. Sin is failing to do those things. Christ saved us from our sins, we shouldn't let sin reign in our minds, our hearts, or have dominion over our bodies. So, of course, we wouldn't want to do something if it is sinful and wrong.

But the common trend is very often whether something rather harmless or innocuous is a sin. In this sub-forum alone I can see two examples: Is wearing a hat a sin? Is playing video games a sin? These types of questions are extremely common. And, thankfully, most of the answers are, "No, of course not". Though, there are the occasional exceptions, claiming that something is sinful, and usually for some very strange reason. Usually "it's worldly", because there is a massive amount of confusion over worldliness is, and a number of terrible churches and awful preachers have tried to call certain things "worldly" with the intent to control the members of a congregation. My grandmother, as a child, attended a church like this; as such she wasn't allowed to play card games like "Go Fish" because card games were "worldly", because cards were used in some gambling games; she wasn't allowed to drink root beer or other carbonated soft drinks because root beer had the word "beer" in it--again, "worldly" because beer is alcoholic and "bad".

And so many believers are out there struggling with these questions. Their consciences are being shredded with unnecessary guilt because there are those out there, pretending to be pastors, in religious groups pretending to be churches going around trying to control every facet of a person's life. What kinds of clothes they can wear, whether it is okay to listen to music, or watch a movie, or read a book, play a game, what they can eat or drink. All this unnecessary nonsense that isn't important in the slightest.

This is called Moralism. It's a lot like Legalism, except where Legalism is concerned with the Law and is about trying to tell Christians that they need to have their own righteousness by observing God's commandments (regardless of whether or not those commandments are still binding in the New Covenant or not). Moralism takes a step further, and proscribes standards and stipulations entirely unrelated to anything God has ever said.

Moralism is the proscription of laws as though they were from God, but which God Himself has said nothing. The idea that being a Christian means upholding a kind of standard of holiness, but that "holiness" has nothing to do with being holy, but only having an appearance of holiness by following arbitrary man-made rules.

So here's a few guidelines I'd like to offer, a sort of rule of thumb if you will, about whether "X is sinful".

1) What do the Scriptures say? If the answer is nothing, or if the answer is that it only applied in a limited capacity to a specific situation (such as to the Jews as part of the Old Covenant), then the answer is probably no.

2) What is the normative outcome of the thing in question? Does it hurt someone? Will my doing something cause my neighbor to suffer? This can be phrased another way: Is this failing to love my neighbor? Is this hateful toward my neighbor? Is this what I would want someone else to do in regard to me? If the answer to this is that yes, it will hurt my neighbor, it is intrinsically un-loving toward my neighbor, the answer is probably yes. Otherwise the answer is probably no.

3) What is the difference between doing it or not doing it? If the answer is nothing, that there is no real difference, it won't affect me, or affect others, it isn't contrary to God's stated commandments, then it probably isn't sinful.

4) Use your conscience. And let others have their liberty of conscience as well. Maybe you have decided you don't like something, or aren't comfortable with it, perhaps you have your own reasons to avoid or abstain--or instead you feel you are comfortable with it. Perhaps you aren't comfortable eating meat because you view the meat industry as unethical, or you just have an ethical issue with eating animals; or perhaps you are comfortable eating meat. Let you be convinced in your own conscience, and grant your fellow Christian their own liberty of conscience on this matter. That is, after all, what Scripture teaches us to do with such things.

So, is it sinful? If God says it is, then it is. If God says it isn't, it isn't. And if God is silent, then use your God-given empathy, reason, and conscience to make that determination for yourself.

-CryptoLutheran

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So here's a few guidelines I'd like to offer, a sort of rule of thumb if you will, about whether "X is sinful".

1) What do the Scriptures say? If the answer is nothing, or if the answer is that it only applied in a limited capacity to a specific situation (such as to the Jews as part of the Old Covenant), then the answer is probably no.
The Scriptures addressed the common scenarios which obtained thousands of years ago. We live in a different age, and some of the newer technologies give rise to questions that are not addressed by the Scriptures.

2) What is the normative outcome of the thing in question? Does it hurt someone? Will my doing something cause my neighbor to suffer? This can be phrased another way: Is this failing to love my neighbor? Is this hateful toward my neighbor? Is this what I would want someone else to do in regard to me? If the answer to this is that yes, it will hurt my neighbor, it is intrinsically un-loving toward my neighbor, the answer is probably yes. Otherwise the answer is probably no.

3) What is the difference between doing it or not doing it? If the answer is nothing, that there is no real difference, it won't affect me, or affect others, it isn't contrary to God's stated commandments, then it probably isn't sinful.
This is consequentialism. It is necessary to consider consequences but consequences are not a sufficient moral norm.

4) Use your conscience. And let others have their liberty of conscience as well. Maybe you have decided you don't like something, or aren't comfortable with it, perhaps you have your own reasons to avoid or abstain--or instead you feel you are comfortable with it. Perhaps you aren't comfortable eating meat because you view the meat industry as unethical, or you just have an ethical issue with eating animals; or perhaps you are comfortable eating meat. Let you be convinced in your own conscience, and grant your fellow Christian their own liberty of conscience on this matter. That is, after all, what Scripture teaches us to do with such things.
Sometimes we should just go with conscience, but if we have the means then consulting the Body of Christ about whether something is sinful is a great idea.

So, is it sinful? If God says it is, then it is. If God says it isn't, it isn't. And if God is silent, then use your God-given empathy, reason, and conscience to make that determination for yourself.
People ask, "Is it a sin?" because it is sometimes difficult to discern. Much more difficult than you let on.

People who don't understand why things are right or wrong often get frustrated with the question, "Is it a sin?" It's because they can't answer the question, and instead resort to habit, intuitions, or simplistic moral philosophies.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I sure hope not! I think everything they released up through "Under the Big Black Sun" is some of the finest rock music ever recorded.

To be serious, though, thank you for posting what I'm sure a lot of us have thought whenever we see these kinds of questions, ViaCrucis. It is helpful to have a moderate voice here to remind people who may struggle with scrupulosity or similar issues that they don't actually have to take everything that someone out there says is sinful to be a sin. Just because a person may have gone to some kind of independent Baptist fundamentalist something or other during their formative years, doesn't mean that dancing or playing cards or whatever else they might've been taught to be against are actually sins. A great deal of what is out there addressing this incredibly broad question appears to be according to particular pastors' tastes, which to my way of thinking is never a good sign, seeing as how we will not have to answer to Bill Gothard, James Dobson, Josel Olsteen (or whoever; the names are many and interchangable for the purposes of making this point), or anyone other than the Just Judge at the final day.

A rather succinct way I've heard similar questions being answered from within my own tradition was on one of the episodes of the Coptic Youth Channel program "A Monk's Life", featuring the reflections of Abouna Lazarus El Anthony (the Australian-born convert who has occupied St. Anthony's cave in Egypt for quite a few years now). In one segment, he counseled the youth who may feel temptations especially strongly due to the much more open access to everything via the internet by saying something like (paraphrased) "Remember that even as you can go anywhere and see anything and do anything you wish, you will still die." This is most emphatically not how I would answer questions from non-Orthodox who are confused about t-shirts or movies or what you, but I think the kernel of it is useful for everyone: Indeed, we have freedom to do basically anything we want (within the bounds of secular law, for those of us living under that), so rather than become bogged down with questions about the minutiae of life to the point where we feel like we have to 'pre-clear' everything we could do, say, hear, or wear before some imaginary group that would make these determinations for us, it is probably a better use of our limited time on this planet to remember that we are but sojourners here, and our time on this earth will be over before we know it.

True, it's not the yes or no answer that the people asking these questions are looking for, but I think it gets to what is ultimately important about life and the gift that we have been given by being alive where and how we are.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,469.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
One of the most common questions I see asked on these forums, and even outside of these forums, is some form of this question is [something or other] a sin?

The reason why these questions are asked are understandable. If, as Christians, we want to be faithful in our obedience to God and our witness to Christ, we desire to abstain from sinful thoughts and behaviors. The Scriptures tell us to seek the way of God, to have the mind of Christ, and to live justly. Sin is failing to do those things. Christ saved us from our sins, we shouldn't let sin reign in our minds, our hearts, or have dominion over our bodies. So, of course, we wouldn't want to do something if it is sinful and wrong.

But the common trend is very often whether something rather harmless or innocuous is a sin. In this sub-forum alone I can see two examples: Is wearing a hat a sin? Is playing video games a sin? These types of questions are extremely common. And, thankfully, most of the answers are, "No, of course not". Though, there are the occasional exceptions, claiming that something is sinful, and usually for some very strange reason. Usually "it's worldly", because there is a massive amount of confusion over worldliness is, and a number of terrible churches and awful preachers have tried to call certain things "worldly" with the intent to control the members of a congregation. My grandmother, as a child, attended a church like this; as such she wasn't allowed to play card games like "Go Fish" because card games were "worldly", because cards were used in some gambling games; she wasn't allowed to drink root beer or other carbonated soft drinks because root beer had the word "beer" in it--again, "worldly" because beer is alcoholic and "bad".

And so many believers are out there struggling with these questions. Their consciences are being shredded with unnecessary guilt because there are those out there, pretending to be pastors, in religious groups pretending to be churches going around trying to control every facet of a person's life. What kinds of clothes they can wear, whether it is okay to listen to music, or watch a movie, or read a book, play a game, what they can eat or drink. All this unnecessary nonsense that isn't important in the slightest.

This is called Moralism. It's a lot like Legalism, except where Legalism is concerned with the Law and is about trying to tell Christians that they need to have their own righteousness by observing God's commandments (regardless of whether or not those commandments are still binding in the New Covenant or not). Moralism takes a step further, and proscribes standards and stipulations entirely unrelated to anything God has ever said.

Moralism is the proscription of laws as though they were from God, but which God Himself has said nothing. The idea that being a Christian means upholding a kind of standard of holiness, but that "holiness" has nothing to do with being holy, but only having an appearance of holiness by following arbitrary man-made rules.

-CryptoLutheran

I really like this. The other thing I would add is that we are more than welcome to state an opinion or make a case for a certain behaviour being a sin or not, it is not our place to try to convince someone else of an opposing view of the rightness of our position. The person with a contrary view is abiding by his or her own conscience as well as we are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So the answers given in these fora are usually quite mixed, even on matters not at all trivial. Some Christians say X is a sin, other Christians that of course X is not a sin, other Christians that it depends on whatever.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have allowed myself to watch a little bit of R rated content here or there after converting (not inappropriate content, mind)

I recently finished off a show called "better call saul." Maybe you've heard of it, it's relatively popular.

However my Christian friend chastised me for this. Apparently there was a sex scene and there may have been a frame of inappropriate contentography, although I doubt it. I honestly can't remember any sex scene in the show (I must have been on my phone or something). This issue has sort of marred our friendship.

So is this bad? Am I in the wrong? Should I avoid all television dramas that contain R rated content like drug use, swearing, and maybe even the occasional frame of inappropriate contentography and the like? Or can I use my discretion and Christian liberty to watch the occasional adult themed show? I don't condemn myself for doing this, but idk. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So is this bad? Am I in the wrong? Should I avoid all television dramas that contain R rated content like drug use, swearing, and maybe even the occasional frame of inappropriate contentography and the like? Or can I use my discretion and Christian liberty to watch the occasional adult themed show? I don't condemn myself for doing this, but idk. What do you guys think?
"All things are lawful for me,
but not all things are helpful;​
all things are lawful for me,
but not all things edify." 1 Corinthians 10:23 NKJV​

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly,
but then face to face.​
Now I know in part,
but then I shall know just as I also am known." 1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV​

Jesus said,
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things,

and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV​

"Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be,
but we know that when He is revealed,
we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2 NKJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

-CryptoLutheran
I'd just like to point out that time is the most valuable resource we have. Once it's gone it never comes back. So our consciences can bother us for doing things which takr up a lot of our time but do not lead us to Jesus and that can be a big issue for Jesus said:

Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

So the question is often does something I spend a lot of my time doing help me to know God better in my daily life and that has a huge impact on how well I know God. Our consciences can bother us for that reason alone for God is attempting to get our attention so we will spend our time getting to know Him better rather than waste it in activities that do not contribute to knowing Him.

It's been an issue in my life and it took me a long time of painful experience to realize this and I was doing something that was not sinful in any way. I just dedicated so much of my time that I wandered away from Jesus and started doing things that I would never have done if I had spent more of my time with Him.

Staying close to Jesus is extremely important for our spiritual lives.

Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

-CryptoLutheran
Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness, and sharing.
I would like to add at least two things.

1) Using your God given conscience is not as straightforward as that. Everyone has a conscience, but in order for the conscience to work properly, it must be trained.
Which leads to the second thing we need. Bible principles.
2) There may not be a law on everything, but there are scriptural principles in the Bible to help guide our thinking in the right direction, and thus train our conscience.

The apostle Paul explained.
Hebrews 5:14 - But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to distinguish between good and evil.

Paul said, because of practice - we can say, by constant use of scriptures, and applying them - our senses, or conscience is trained to distinguish what is right, or wrong. Spiritual maturity comes through that.
So, training the conscience, by regular use - reading and meditating on Bible principles, and applying them, will help us.

To give an example of this.
A compass can be a reliable guide, helping us to navigate, and reach our intended destination.
However, if we place our compass near a magnetic device, we could get some wrong readings.
In the same way, our conscience can give us some wrong readings, if we, for example, spend more time on things that are not by themselves necessarily wrong - like watching television, or playing a game, etc., and less time studying and meditating on God's word.

For example, you want something to watch, so as to relax, so you turn on your television, and start switching the channels, until you find something - say, a "nice" Soap Opera.
The next day, you tune in, same time, same channel... and the next day, and the next.
You may reason as some do - There is no harm to watching Soaps. No one is being hurt, but could it be, you have placed a magnet next to your compass? Might it be, you have neglected training your conscience?
I'll leave that for you to answer. :)

It illustrates why just using your conscience is not that straightforward, though.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have allowed myself to watch a little bit of R rated content here or there after converting (not inappropriate content, mind)

I recently finished off a show called "better call saul." Maybe you've heard of it, it's relatively popular.

However my Christian friend chastised me for this. Apparently there was a sex scene and there may have been a frame of inappropriate contentography, although I doubt it. I honestly can't remember any sex scene in the show (I must have been on my phone or something). This issue has sort of marred our friendship.

Very creative.
If I can find that on Youtube, I'll take a look at it.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Actually, I went here, and realized, if you really want an honest answer, I can give you a direct one, but it might be best you try to answer the question yourself - If you want to please God, consider these scriptures, and see if you find any useful Bible principle, that will help you determine if you need a new compass. That is, to "be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2

Psalms 11:5; Leviticus 24:11-16; Colossians 3:8; 1 Peter 4:3; Romans 1:28-32; Proverbs 27:11;

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd just like to point out that time is the most valuable resource we have. Once it's gone it never comes back. So our consciences can bother us for doing things which takr up a lot of our time but do not lead us to Jesus and that can be a big issue for Jesus said:

So the question is often does something I spend a lot of my time doing help me to know God better in my daily life and that has a huge impact on how well I know God. Our consciences can bother us for that reason alone for God is attempting to get our attention so we will spend our time getting to know Him better rather than waste it in activities that do not contribute to knowing Him.

It's been an issue in my life and it took me a long time of painful experience to realize this and I was doing something that was not sinful in any way. I just dedicated so much of my time that I wandered away from Jesus and started doing things that I would never have done if I had spent more of my time with Him.

Staying close to Jesus is extremely important for our spiritual lives.
This is so very useful.
I remember when I spent hours upon end, playing video games. I felt so foolish after.
When I spent hours on end studying spiritual material, I felt so refreshed and full of joy.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

And that's where I think conscience is important.

There's some pretty graphic content in the Bible, but none of us would then think that we shouldn't read the Bible because of that--because of the way that graphic content is portrayed. Context matters, as does conscience. When it comes to a piece of media or an artistic work, there are a lot of variables to consider. It could very well be that something might negatively affect one person, but not another. In the same way that I wouldn't drink an alcoholic drink in front of a recovering alcoholic, but have no problem having an occasional beer in my own home.

These questions can be difficult and filled with nuance.

But as we wrestle with conscience on issues, I think we shouldn't be wrecked by them.

I wrestle with my conscience on many things. I like coffee, but I don't always know how my coffee is sourced and so I don't know if I am inadvertently supporting unethical coffee sourcing. That's a complex ethical issue. But if I became convinced that I shouldn't drink coffee because it might support unethical coffee sourcing and then claimed drinking coffee is a sin, and thus the conscience of my brother or sister is held captive by my words, that's also a problem.

My initial reason for writing this post had to do with the sorts of "is X a sin?" questions that I often see, "Is listening to secular music a sin?" for example. Now a more nuanced question might be, is listening to a particular musical artist problematic or unethical. But that's more nuanced, and requires working through an issue rather than simply having some overly simplistic moralistic "law" imposed.

Is listening to secular music a sin? Is watching television shows a sin? No. But it may not be profitable to watch every show, or listen to every musician. Those questions come down to conscience and working through nuanced questions.

Whether or not you should watch Better Call Saul can't be reduced to "Watching television is sinful".

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
Hi there. :)

I just wanted to say I appreciate your post. As always, a sane voice and moderation.

I was raised (and continued in adulthood) in and out of various belief structures you mention. My father especially said tv was sinful, all games were sinful, radio, wearing makeup, wearing pants, cutting hair and on. Then as an adult I’ve had pastors condemn movie and tv series (especially sci-fi) as they claimed the characters were based on actual demons, along with certain foods, drinks, holidays, clothing, etc.

I like what one teacher I read said - which was basically that whatever we do might bring us closer to God, in which case it’s a good thing, or might take us further from God or harden us, in which case that thing is a sin - for us, even if perhaps not for someone else.

We have similar discussions in my home as my husband’s conscience is different from mine. Certain things he is convicted over and wants to avoid but don’t bother me, and vice-versa. I try to respect those things he wants to avoid when we are together.

Anyway - not correcting you or even trying to add anything “missing” … mostly I want to say hello! I’ve been SO busy with school and work as I changed careers and went back to school around Covid, and I finally finished this week. So I’m thankful to have a chance to breathe, sleep, and catch up a bit with things I’ve missed, which includes CF. I’ve very much missed hearing from so many folks here! Glad to see you!

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
Good post-thank you. Sometimes the bible is less than clear on ethical matters-and extrapolation combined with reason is required. Abortion is one important area that comes to mind. The Catholic catechism does a good job IMO on its teachings on the decalogue, expanding the concepts in the commandments to address and include a full range of possible actions. In many cases, however, the conscience must play its part as you say. We must adhere to our consciences while remaining aware that they can be wrong, or swayed by self-serving motivations. I think developing them properly with the help of grace and knowledge and experience is a life-long endeavor. Meanwhile scrupulosity, which can also be related to perfectionism bound together with fear, is a very human while never beneficial trait. Perfection is a good and correct goal and path, but God knows we won't achieve it in this life. He's patient and kind and always on our side-as we also remain on His.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

@friend of, something I was thinking about, that can be helpful to us, when making decisions on our choices. Some question we can ask, are:
How do others view this?
What message am I sending?
How does it reflect on me, and the God I claim to serve?

For example, Peter said, Many will follow their indecent behavior, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; 2 Peter 2:2
If we are supposed to be letting our light shine, are others seeing it, or are they not seeing anything that will pull them in that direction?
More importantly, are we giving them reason to speak in a criticizing way about our faith, and the God we are supposed to be representing?

What good counsel there is for us, at Ephesians 5:6-14.

• Friendly
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
@friend of, something I was thinking about, that can be helpful to us, when making decisions on our choices. Some question we can ask, are:
How do others view this?
What message am I sending?
How does it reflect on me, and the God I claim to serve?

For example, Peter said, Many will follow their indecent behavior, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; 2 Peter 2:2
If we are supposed to be letting our light shine, are others seeing it, or are they not seeing anything that will pull them in that direction?
More importantly, are we giving them reason to speak in a criticizing way about our faith, and the God we are supposed to be representing?

What good counsel there is for us, at Ephesians 5:6-14.
I'll have to give it some thought. Thank you.

Upvote 0