Is walking in the "free indeed" Jesus promised actually possible.... in THIS life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes it's not what you say; it's how you say it.
I'll keep this simple.

Did Gideon overcome a 47 year long addiction to inappropriate contentography and experience victory over that addiction?

Did he overcome and experience victory "over the world the flesh and the devil, but its sureness"?
This is my testimony as to not only the possibility of each of us walking as an overcomer, victorious over the world the flesh and the devil, but its sureness!

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll keep this simple.

Did Gideon overcome a 47 year long addiction to inappropriate contentography and experience victory over that addiction?

Did he overcome and experience victory "over the world the flesh and the devil, but its sureness"?
You appear to me to act like a person is as simple as one thing. If you think that your character does not matter and that your flaws that are so in our face that it completely overshadows Gideons, then I asked you why can you not see what is so plain to so many of us?

I don't need you to try to get me to conform to your legalistic rules to try to attempt to control the situation. In the threads that I have read where you post my spirit starts to get bothered and the joy of the thread starts to fade away To some measure. Now imagine that effect on unbelievers, how you could utter the truth and utterly push them away at the same time.

Don't get me wrong I can be very disagreeable just like you so I understand the nature of being disagreeable and I often regret how I act and treat people when I speak the truth but don't consider their soul. You Remind Me of Sheldon Cooper. After much resistance of attempting to not judge you and to keep on resisting these annoying pestering spirits that I hear, and in observing people's replies and how it makes sense to my heart I have decided to say something directly to you.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You appear to me to...
I asked two very plain, simple very op-relevant questions and neither of them was answered. Neither question is loaded or in any way implies or insinuates anything adverse about anyone. So why the avoidance? Nothing is asked of anyone but the following:

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You appear to me to act like a person is as simple as one thing.
How kind of you. Is it not simplistic to imagine a person thinks others as simple as one thing?
If you think that your character does not matter...
How kind of you. What kind of character brings another's character of-topically into the discussion (and does so derisively)?
..and that your flaws that are so in our face that it completely overshadows Gideons…
How kind of you. Is it not flawed to bring others' flaws off-topically and derisively into the discussion?
...then I asked you why can you not see what is so plain to so many of us?
It's hard to see the picture when inside the frame.
I don't need you to try to get me to conform...
How kind of you. No one is trying to make anyone conform.
..to your legalistic rules...
How kind of you. I have no legalistic rules.
...to try to attempt to control the situation.
rotflmbo! Control is an illusion and I am definitely not in control of these exchanges. It is delusional to think I think otherwise. How kind of you.
In the threads that I have read where you post my spirit starts to get bothered...
Not my problem. Not my intent. Not my responsibility. One of the chief problems in these exchanges is the difference between what is intended and what is perceived to be intended; the difference between what is written and what is read. Score of examples of what I have written have been read with adverse intent. It's a Luke 6:45 problem, but rather than ask, "Why am I viewing Josh's post so critically that I cannot or will not let him start over and answer a single simple straight forward very op-related question or two?" I get told I'm a bad person.
...and the joy of the thread starts to fade away To some measure.
That's not on me, either. Had anyone posted to me in a manner that would have brought them joyed s/he and I would be having a much different conversation. Since I didn't force anyone to post as they did the truth is everyone who posted adversarially did so because they wanted to do so.

Every single one of you had the opportunity to do things differently.

And didn't.

Can't be said I didn't try. There are many posts in this op where I endeavored to get back on-topic with the op. Post #101 is one of them and that effort was totally ignored. That's not on me. You did that all on your own and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my noting that fact.
Now imagine that effect on unbelievers...
One of the most fundamental of all precepts governing internet discussion is this:

"If something can be misinterpreted then it probably will be misinterpreted"

There's nothing inherently mean in my op-reply. Go back and re-read it. Yes, I did challenge some of the content in this opening post but there's nothing anywhere close to like what I've received in post #104.
...how you could utter the truth and utterly push them away at the same time.
lol! That is often the nature of truth. How do you not know that?
Don't get me wrong I can be very disagreeable just like you so I understand the nature of being disagreeable and I often regret how I act and treat people when I speak the truth but don't consider their soul.
If you have spoken the truth assuming it would be received then you have considered their soul. The other person's response or reaction is not on you. We each make choices. We act based upon those choices. Those choices are often not conscious.

Luke 6:45
"The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart."

That is truth. There's no arguing with that truth. Whether Bert, Ernie, Fred, or Ethel receives that truth isn't up to you or me. If they find it troublesome in any way that does not mean you were not considering their soul. It is wrong of you to take their response onto yourself, especially if your motive was something like Philippians 2:3 or Romans 12:18.

So when Gideon says, "This is my testimony as to not only the possibility of each of us walking as an overcomer, victorious over the world the flesh and the devil, but its sureness!" that is a reflection of his heart, according to Luke 6:45. Likewise, when he says, "victory is a lie," that too is a reflection of his heart, according to Luke 6:45. Likewise, when I challenge the claim of running out of things to do and say, "That's not true," that is a reflection of my heart. Luke 6:45 says so. I accept the truth of God's word as written, plainly stated. Something in my heart challenged that hyperbole. I can explain it and when someone asks about that. When someone responds, "We do not seem in agreement, That is okay. At some point, perhaps we will. Be blessed," that comes from the abundance of their heart and when another replies, "oooooh cool! Can I nitpick your words and judge your testimony next? Please!" that comes from the abundance of that person's heart. When someone posts, "If you think that your character does not matter and that your flaws that are so in our face that it completely overshadows Gideons, then I asked you why can you not see what is so plain to so many of us?" that comes from the abundance of their heart, not mine. I know this because I don't think my character doesn't matter.

The problem with understanding the abundance of our own heart is Jeremiah 17:9.

Everyone who left the op to post derision felt justified in doing so, or they wouldn't have done it. Everyone who left the op to post about the poster instead of the post took some delight in doing so. Everyone who left the op did so out of the abundance of their heart. I didn't make anyone do that.

And there is nothing wrong with my pointing that out. It does not make me prideful or arrogant to do so.
You Remind Me of Sheldon Cooper.
How nice. Compared to a fictional character of extremes.

In answer to two simple op-relevant questions posted in an effort to redeem. Luke 6:45.
After much resistance of attempting to not judge you and to keep on resisting these annoying pestering spirits that I hear, and in observing people's replies and how it makes sense to my heart I have decided to say something directly to you.
Let me quote something Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote. Because this post is already quite long I am going to post it in a separate post but I want you to know that however imperfectly I may have realized Bonhoeffer's content that was what I think about every single person with whom I have traded posts, even if and when they did not think of me the same way.

So let's try this one more time:

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's the Bonhoeffer quote,

”Often we combat our evil thoughts most effectively if we absolutely refuse to allow them to be expressed in words. It is certain that the spirit of self-justification can be overcome only by the Spirit of grace, nevertheless, isolated thoughts of judgment can be curbed and smothered by never allowing them the right to be uttered, except as a confession of sin… He who holds his tongue in check controls both mind and body (Jms. 3). Thus it is a decisive rule of every Christian fellowship that each individual is prohibited from saying much that occurs to him… to speak about a brother covertly is forbidden, even under the cloak of help and good will; for it is precisely in this guise that the spirit of hatred among brothers always creeps in when it is seeking to create mischief.”

“Where this discipline of the tongue is practiced right from the beginning, each individual will make a matchless discovery. He will be able to cease from constantly scrutinizing the other person, judging him, condemning him, putting him in his particular place where he can gain ascendancy over him and thus doing violence to him as a person. Now he can allow the brother to exist as a completely free person, as God made him to be. His view expands and, to his amazement, for the first time he sees, shining above his brethren, the richness of God’s creative glory. God did not make this person as I would have made him. He did not give him to me as a brother for me to dominate and control, but in order that I might find above him the Creator. Now the other person, in the freedom with which he was created, becomes the occasion for joy, whereas before he was only a nuisance and an affliction. God does not will that I should fashion the other person according to my image; rather in his very freedom from me God made this person in His image. I can never know beforehand how God’s image should appear in others. That image always manifests a completely new and unique form that comes solely from God’s free and sovereign creation” (from "Life Together")

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Josheb You really just pulled a 'no u' move? Wow. All of those walls of text, and yet you still fail to properly provide evidence outside of this thread for your claims about OP or acknowledge just the slightest bit of self awareness.

Also, geez I wasn't using ad
hominem..."maybe you were just taking it wrong. I'm not responsible for my words or actions, you're responsible for how you respond to them. Or perhaps I should word them nicer for you, eh?"

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's the Bonhoeffer quote,

”Often we combat our evil thoughts most effectively if we absolutely refuse to allow them to be expressed in words. It is certain that the spirit of self-justification can be overcome only by the Spirit of grace, nevertheless, isolated thoughts of judgment can be curbed and smothered by never allowing them the right to be uttered, except as a confession of sin… He who holds his tongue in check controls both mind and body (Jms. 3). Thus it is a decisive rule of every Christian fellowship that each individual is prohibited from saying much that occurs to him… to speak about a brother covertly is forbidden, even under the cloak of help and good will; for it is precisely in this guise that the spirit of hatred among brothers always creeps in when it is seeking to create mischief.”

“Where this discipline of the tongue is practiced right from the beginning, each individual will make a matchless discovery. He will be able to cease from constantly scrutinizing the other person, judging him, condemning him, putting him in his particular place where he can gain ascendancy over him and thus doing violence to him as a person. Now he can allow the brother to exist as a completely free person, as God made him to be. His view expands and, to his amazement, for the first time he sees, shining above his brethren, the richness of God’s creative glory. God did not make this person as I would have made him. He did not give him to me as a brother for me to dominate and control, but in order that I might find above him the Creator. Now the other person, in the freedom with which he was created, becomes the occasion for joy, whereas before he was only a nuisance and an affliction. God does not will that I should fashion the other person according to my image; rather in his very freedom from me God made this person in His image. I can never know beforehand how God’s image should appear in others. That image always manifests a completely new and unique form that comes solely from God’s free and sovereign creation” (from "Life Together")

Ironic you should use this quote against us, this quote also applied to you. Quick to judge,defensive, unloving and stubborn.

Careful--the same stick you use to measure other people will also be used to measure you.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm certainly not trying to condemn him. Heck I don't even think brain illnesses are as serious as people think, a lot of it's a culture thing. I do think his intelligence can be put to good work. But the thing he is asking is already like so lost in the past and I don't even know why he's asking such. one thing is for sure and that is that I've never met a person like him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.