Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Vista Good ?
Depends on who you ask :)

Me personally I Like it.
As a parent I Love it (the parental controls built in are very nice)
As a developer it works with no issues that can't be overcome.
As a gamer, it works for all the games I have.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll give it one thing - it is pretty. Even if I do still generally think a lot of the elements in its default interface look bloated.

Having had to use it when showing my cousin how to convert some video, I can say I vastly prefer XP though. And for a couple of my essential programs, there is no Vista version, nor will there ever be (because I use an older version of the program - Adobe Premiere, notably; I'm still using 6.5, not any of the Pro versions - heck, last I heard 6.5 doesn't even work with XP SP2, which is the main thing stopping me from installing SP2). I'm also morally opposed to Trusted Computing, and who knows when Vista's TC module will firmly kick into action. I will determine the security of my computer, not some third-party.

Reactions: wolfman544
Upvote 0

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
just do yourself a favor and stay with xp. Vista is evil.

For the average user its probably fine, but if you want to do somthing more, then you are pretty much screwed. The entire codeing and way vista is structured is absurd, its like a 3 year old did it.

Just to get windows media player to play a new codex i had to go to like 9 differnt applications and type in a 5 line code segment. Everything important is hidden away and everything that can crash your computer is like sitting on the desktop.

The real problem for me was the alerts. It is always asking me if it can do anything, even after i turned this feature off. The problem was that it hated my firewall and thought the firewall was a hacker or somthing. Ever 5 seconds, "are you sure you want vista to conect to the internet?" or "are you sure you want vista to execute _____"

Its like they took the same code from xp, added about 40 million more lines of code that dont do anything, made it all slower and less efficent, and then converted all the code to some crazy format. XP was bad enough by its self, but vista is even worse. Everything has about 15 more steps then it should and can be very complex.

Those are only a few examples of my vista experience, i went back to xp on my laptop and desktop. I will probably switch back when crysis comes out though, but only on the desktop.

vista is only worthwhile for dx10.

Upvote 0

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟11,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ive heard dufferent opinions

I had difficulty upgrading my XP machine to Vista, for some reason it kept stalling.

Since I got it up and running I have had no difficulties with it and really enjoy using it.

But keep in mind that it is just an operating system and that what you run on it is what counts. Take a quick check of the programs and hardware you use to make sure they will work well with Vista...all of mine did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Vista? Good? Might as well ask if the air is clean on the moon.

There is no air on the moon, so the moon's atmosphere is as far from having good air as Vista is from being a good OS.

It may be better ith SP1, but all in all, it's junk.
Stick with XP, or get an altenative. Vista is still not ready.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Just to get windows media player to play a new codex i had to go to like 9 differnt applications and type in a 5 line code segment. Everything important is hidden away and everything that can crash your computer is like sitting on the desktop.

I just made mistake of buying new computer with vista and found out I can't listen to my online radio programs with my windows media player!! Is that what happen with you?? How do I fix it??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheLivingWater

May 13, 2007
✟8,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Vista? Good? Might as well ask if the air is clean on the moon.

There is no air on the moon, so the moon's atmosphere is as far from having good air as Vista is from being a good OS.

It may be better ith SP1, but all in all, it's junk.
Stick with XP, or get an altenative. Vista is still not ready.

second that one :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if Vista is any good or not because I have not used it yet. However, if you're thinking about getting Vista, you might want to wait a while so they can get some of the bugs worked out of it. New products inevitably have more bugs than somewhat older products.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if Vista is any good or not because I have not used it yet. However, if you're thinking about getting Vista, you might want to wait a while so they can get some of the bugs worked out of it. New products inevitably have more bugs than somewhat older products.
That's just it though. They have had plenty of time. And they acknowledge Vista is full of mistakes. The critics more or less hate it...
Nah, I'd say stick with XP for the foreseeable future. Maybe go to Vista if MS stops delivering fixes for XP. And then, if XP lives long enough, go straight to Windows seven in a couple of years. If you don't switch to something else, like Linux, in between.

Upvote 0