Not open for further replies.

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think this prayer needs any explanation, as it's pretty straight forward claiming Mary to be the salvation of the Christian people; which is nothing short of blasphemy.

To a Satanist or a Heretic making up their own religion, sure, but not to a member of the historic Christian church following in the footsteps of Christ and his apostles.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
That settles it. I'm gun' get me oneuh dem dare KJB's, and worship the Lord thy God the good 'n proper way, y'all.

So saith the Lord, y'all. Wooo! 400 year old Bible and Christianity, y'all. NASCAR, the south, Texas, BBQ, heck yeah. American Christianity, baby!

Reactions: ImaginaryDay
Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To a Satanist or a Heretic making up their own religion, sure, but not to a member of the historic Christian church following in the footsteps of Christ and his apostles.

I know Christ and His apostles would never say, or teach others to say that prayer, because it is blasphemy.

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That settles it. I'm gun' get me oneuh dem dare KJB's, and worship the Lord thy God the good 'n proper way, y'all.

So saith the Lord, y'all. Wooo! 400 year old Bible and Christianity, y'all. NASCAR, the south, Texas, BBQ, heck yeah. American Christianity, baby!

Psalm 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?:wave:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's only blasphemy if you keep your phony understanding of the prayer.

It's not a phony understanding.

And the context still really hasn't been defined. I've read a thread where several people offer their thoughts on it, mainly stating "well, it doesn't really mean what it looks like" and "that prayer isn't for unbelievers to hear".

Why call her the salvation of the Christian people if she isn't?

It times past, when a person would bow before royalty, and say, "My Lord," were they committing blasphemy?
Being a Lord is a bit different than being called the Salvation of the Christian people. You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

I find that we shouldn't have ANY reference to Mary when it comes to salvation and eternal life and redemption in our religious beliefs. It's really easy to see why people are turned off to Orthodoxy/Catholicism when they see these types of prayers.

We honor Mary in our faith, but we do not elevate her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could you get up off the South, please sir? The only one here I'm certain is a Southerner is me, and I'm on your side!

And don't feed the trolls, that's what they're after.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It's not a phony understanding.

And the context still really hasn't been defined. I've read a thread where several people offer their thoughts on it, mainly stating "well, it doesn't really mean what it looks like" and "that prayer isn't for unbelievers to hear".

Why call her the salvation of the Christian people if she isn't?

Being a Lord is a bit different than being called the Salvation of the Christian people. You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

I find that we shouldn't have ANY reference to Mary when it comes to salvation and eternal life and redemption in our religious beliefs. It's really easy to see why people are turned off to Orthodoxy/Catholicism when they see these types of prayers.

We honor Mary in our faith, but we do not elevate her.
I'm fairly certain that you understand that when Mary and "save," "salvation," or "co-" is being spoken of in the same breath, it has to do with her "yes" and her interceeding on our behalf.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Could you get up off the South, please sir? The only one here I'm certain is a Southerner is me, and I'm on your side!

And don't feed the trolls, that's what they're after.

Ha. My mouth gets me in trouble in real life, and my fingers on the internet.

The King James Bible thumping and American Protestantism as being viewed by so many of "those types" as all that has ever existed is tiresome. The Bible Belt makes me want to vomit with some of the stuff that proceeds out of it. And Christians wonder why so many non-Christians have a bad understanding of Christianity and hate the religion.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Could you get up off the South, please sir? The only one here I'm certain is a Southerner is me, and I'm on your side! And don't feed the trolls, that's what they're after.

Respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm fairly certain that you understand that when Mary and "save," "salvation," or "co-" is being spoken of in the same breath, it has to do with her "yes" and her interceeding on our behalf.

Not really. I see the term co-redemptrix and it seems to me that she's being held on equal footing.

One of the big problems I had with Catholicism was the whole "Mary, save us" idea that seemed to permeate a lot of prayers.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone is free to read the linked thread that the OP provided from TAW. I have offered my two cents in that thread, and that thread offers all the explanation that is needed. Any honest person can read it and understand our point of view easily enough, whether you agree with it or not. So feel free to read through that thread from TAW; there is nothing we're trying to hide or keep secret.

Jipsah, I've been in the South now for about 12 years. After growing up in Indiana, I was stationed with the Navy in SC, GA, and TX, and TX is where I have chosen to reside after having departed the Navy. I have since lost my yankee accent, and only talk like my former Chicago-area self when I get worked up or excited.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I just saw this "Orthodox" prayer on another thread, here's the prayer...

"O blessed Theotokos, open the doors of compassion to us whose hope is in you, that we may not perish but be delivered from adversity through you, who are the salvation of the Christian people."

Is this idea of Mary being the salvation of the Christian people really "Orthodox?" :doh:

I don't think this prayer needs any explanation, as it's pretty straight forward claiming Mary to be the salvation of the Christian people; which is nothing short of blasphemy.

The EO's don't believe that Mary is the savior.

Mary bore the Savior, and so, through her (that is, through the Son she bore), salvation comes to those who believe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.