Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am somewhere in the 800s (page wise) in the book on Fr. Seraphim Rose. I was curious about Gleb (Fr. Herman) who was very close to Fr. Seraphim, like a brother (brother also in monastic terms) to him, and I liked him from what I read in the book on Fr. Seraphim. So I decided to google him and see what happened in his life (I haven't finished Fr. Seraphim's book, and I don't know if anything is in there about Fr. Herman's life after Fr. Seraphim's death). I found this online, and it upset me:

POKROV.ORG :: A RESOURCE FOR SURVIVORS OF ABUSE IN THE ORTHODOX CHURCHES

After the death of Rose in 1982, Podmoshensky was accused of serious moral offenses, which Pokrov.org has heard from quite a few different sources was sexual misconduct with young men, some of whom were below the age of majority. He was suspended from the priesthood in 1984 pending the outcome of ROCOR's investigation into these allegations.

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Yes, that's all true. Gleb Podmoshensky was eventually defrocked for his failure to obey that suspension.

Unfortunately, the demons of sexual misconduct and abuse have overtaken some of our monastics and even whole monasteries. Fr. Seraphim (Rose) was able to fight and defeat the demons that had once made him succumb to sexual immorality, although he never strayed into abuse of any kind. Sadly, not all who are tempted will win the battle.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
unfortunately Fr. Herman did not accept his suspension and defrocking and took the monastery into schism. The monastery later entered the Serbian Western American Diocese in 2000 with Fr. Gerasim as abbot while Fr. Herman remained in schism. However, thanks be to God, he has recently re-entered into communion within the Serbian Church. A Serbian priest that I know has recently taken communion to him. May God have mercy on him and the victims!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
unfortunately Fr. Herman did not accept his suspension and defrocking and took the monastery into schism. The monastery later entered the Serbian Western American Diocese in 2000 with Fr. Gerasim as abbot while Fr. Herman remained in schism. However, thanks be to God, he has recently re-entered into communion within the Serbian Church. A Serbian priest that I know has recently taken communion to him. May God have mercy on him and the victims!

I read that on the site. But it said the Serbian Orthodox Church denies taking him in. :confused: I hope that he has or will repent(ed). :( Lord, have mercy, yes, on he and the poor boys/men who have been abused. :(

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I read that on the site. But it said the Serbian Orthodox Church denies taking him in. :confused: I hope that he has or will repent(ed). :( Lord, have mercy, yes, on he and the poor boys/men who have been abused. :(

It looks like the Pokrov article is referring to the possibility that Monk Gleb was received with the other Platina monks in 2000. jckstraw's comment appears to suggest that he was actually received fairly recently.

Whatever the case, I hope he has sincerely repented and been restored to communion with Christ.

Be very careful with Pokrov articles, as they don't always tell the whole story.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It looks like the Pokrov article is referring to the possibility that Monk Gleb was received with the other Platina monks in 2000. jckstraw's comment appears to suggest that he was actually received fairly recently.

Whatever the case, I hope he has sincerely repented and been restored to communion with Christ.

Be very careful with Pokrov articles, as they don't always tell the whole story.

I hadn't read any other articles. I will look at others. Thanks for the heads up.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
yes, im guessing that Pokrov article is referring to 2000. I was at Platina in 2007 and at that time Fr. Herman was still schismatic, so he has become canonical again sometime since then. the nuns at St. Xenia's Skete had been under obedience that when they took food to Fr. Herman they were to knock on his door and call out "are you ready to repent yet?" well, i dont know precisely when it happened, but thank God, it seems he has repented. My Serbian priest friend would definitely not take him Communion if he was still schismatic. Also, he has been quite ill for some time, so he could really use our prayers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yes, im guessing that Pokrov article is referring to 2000. I was at Platina in 2007 and at that time Fr. Herman was still schismatic, so he has become canonical again sometime since then. the nuns at St. Xenia's Skete had been under obedience that when they took food to Fr. Herman they were to knock on his door and call out "are you ready to repent yet?" well, i dont know precisely when it happened, but thank God, it seems he has repented. My Serbian priest friend would definitely not take him Communion if he was still schismatic. Also, he has been quite ill for some time, so he could really use our prayers!

Thank God. Yes, I will pray for him. Thank you for so much for this info, jck. :hug:

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's very true.

For example: one of the "accused" on that site was actually exonerated of all charges like five years ago, yet Pokrov still has him up there.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's very true.

For example: one of the "accused" on that site was actually exonerated of all charges like five years ago, yet Pokrov still has him up there.

Thanks. That's good to be aware of.

Incidentally, i randomly went to that site as it was one of the first to come up when I googled Gleb/Fr. Herman's name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angrylittlefisherman

the worst of sinners
Jun 22, 2008
occidental ca
✟15,926.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also in the way of "where are they now", Father Gerasim is now in the OCA. I believe they sent him to seminary in hopes that he could become a bishop.
That is correct, the hope is to make him a bishop in Alaska. My parish has a very close relationship with the monastery and Fr. Herman (he brought them into Orthodoxy.) Fr Gerasim has hiked all over Alaska last summer winning the hearts of many locals there, despite many local priest and Bishops concerns that he was not a local Alaskan and would have some difficulty connecting with the natives there.
Please pray for Fr. Herman, his health is failing.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is correct, the hope is to make him a bishop in Alaska. My parish has a very close relationship with the monastery and Fr. Herman (he brought them into Orthodoxy.) Fr Gerasim has hiked all over Alaska last summer winning the hearts of many locals there, despite many local priest and Bishops concerns that he was not a local Alaskan and would have some difficulty connecting with the natives there.
Please pray for Fr. Herman, his health is failing.

Thanks for sharing this, littlefisherman. Is Fr. Gerasim the priest Fr. Seraphim and Fr. Herman met in AK that is mentioned in the book? I will pray for Fr. Herman.

Upvote 0