✟31,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
utdbear said:
Now..... who wants IHOP?

doh! just had Bob Evans :yum:

hmm, wonder if i was photographed while there?!? :eek: and they didn't ask for my ID when i paid with plastic! hang on, calling the feds to report this flagrant disregard of something or other.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Multi-Elis said:
I also didn't want to read a book that has such unkind steriotypes about arabes, even if it's true, it isn't helpfull.

You use the term stereotype when you said that the book was describing Arab culture. The most telling part of your post was that you are closed off to unpleasant knowledge - "even if it's true".

The truth isn't always pleasant. However, ignorance of the truth is significantly more dangerous than the knowledge of an unpleasant truth.

For example. You are in a US history class learning about the slave trade in the 1800's. Do you not want to know about this chapter in US history? They may talk about the culture of southern plantation owners of the time; is the knowledge of that culture - "stereotyping" southern farmers - harmful? If so, how?

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
whatbogsends said:
You use the term stereotype when you said that the book was describing Arab culture. The most telling part of your post was that you are closed off to unpleasant knowledge - "even if it's true".

The truth isn't always pleasant. However, ignorance of the truth is significantly more dangerous than the knowledge of an unpleasant truth.

For example. You are in a US history class learning about the slave trade in the 1800's. Do you not want to know about this chapter in US history? They may talk about the culture of southern plantation owners of the time; is the knowledge of that culture - "stereotyping" southern farmers - harmful? If so, how?

Stereotypes are usually sound sociological truths. Funny, though... people love to focus on the bad stereotypes. I can't remember the last time I heard a Jew complaining that everyone thinks Jews are smart... or Asians complaining that they tend to excel at math. Heck, a lot of folks take pride in the "bad" stereotypes, too. My Italian friends love being feared for their attitudes. My Irish friends love being viewed as natural warriors, ready to fight at the drop of a hat.

Upvote 0

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
utdbear said:
The legwork I saw was some theories that you had as to the workings of the FAA and TSA. Since you made these claims I assumed that you had a working knowledge of our security policies as it relates to our air transportation system. Also, since it was you who made the claims and not me, its your burden of proof to provide references that to support your claims. Providing a link to the TSA's guidelines or the text of the patriot act does nothing to prove your case, and therefore I will assume that you are conceding the point of debate based off of lack of facts, and that your claims that you made are baseless and simply not true. Thanks for making it easy.

Now..... who wants IHOP?

I didnt know this was a matter of win or lose?
didnt know we were in a battle of the brains LOL
What I am saying is that if you want this info. do a google search yourself, I have done the research as well as having training on it for my job and my hobby of being a private pilot...even at small airports you need to show a photo ID before being allowed on the flight line.

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
marshlewis said:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin.

You know in todays America this sounds a little lefty libral anti-american. Who would of thunk that the founding fathers would turn treasonous.

~ Funny though, the quote is very conservative in its implications and meaning. The extreme leftwing wants the government to protect us from ourselves and each other. They want the American citizen to rely on the goverment to provide for all their needs and take care of all their cares. There is no concept of personal responsibility in the leftwing. It is really interesting that the leftwing loonies are starting to actually read the founding fathers...
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
utdbear said:
The legwork I saw was some theories that you had as to the workings of the FAA and TSA. Since you made these claims I assumed that you had a working knowledge of our security policies as it relates to our air transportation system. Also, since it was you who made the claims and not me, its your burden of proof to provide references that to support your claims. Providing a link to the TSA's guidelines or the text of the patriot act does nothing to prove your case, and therefore I will assume that you are conceding the point of debate based off of lack of facts, and that your claims that you made are baseless and simply not true. Thanks for making it easy.

Now..... who wants IHOP?

Did you try reading it? that sometimes works.

Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Leimeng said:
~ Funny though, the quote is very conservative in its implications and meaning. The extreme leftwing wants the government to protect us from ourselves and each other. They want the American citizen to rely on the goverment to provide for all their needs and take care of all their cares. There is no concept of personal responsibility in the leftwing. It is really interesting that the leftwing loonies are starting to actually read the founding fathers...
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

What I was trying to point out in my own little way was how far out of wack the US political system has become. The administration is opposed in principle to spending any money on anything which is not to do with national security even if the programe is soly designed to protect the lives of US citizens. e.g. Bush opposed fedral control of air port security after 9/11. (Big government, not public safty seemed to be the reason)

Crime is not a description governments attach to their crimes.

Upvote 0

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BLESSEDBETHEMEEK said:
I didnt know this was a matter of win or lose?
didnt know we were in a battle of the brains LOL
What I am saying is that if you want this info. do a google search yourself, I have done the research as well as having training on it for my job and my hobby of being a private pilot...even at small airports you need to show a photo ID before being allowed on the flight line.

Its not a battle of the brains nor is it a win-lose situation. You presented a debate point, and have yet to offer proof of the claims you have made. Its not my responsibility to prove your claims, its yours, much as if I presented a debate point, it would be my burden of proof to show you where it says what I'm claiming and so-on and so-forth. Asking me to believe what you say to be true because you're a private pilot doesn't hold water with me(also, if you own your own plane at a private airport you need no such ID, you only need ID if you're renting a plane, or if you are in FAA Class B airspace and have to file a flight plan, which the first point was commonplace well before the Patriot Act was established). So, are you gonna prove your point?

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
The fact that that group of people have to vocalize all their "moral values" shows the party is really lacking in them.

I'd suggest people lay off the conservative bashing by degrading their "moral" character and values. This is completely inappropriate and disrespectful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jameseb said:
I'd suggest people lay off the conservative bashing by degrading their "moral" character and values. This is completely inappropriate and disrespectful.

sometimes the truth hurts....

isnt it the bible that says "the truth will set you free"....

How is it degrading..because they disagree and point out errors?
I find that telling the truth and highlighting the faults,errors and inaccuracies in ones whole foundation of a argument/debate to be quite appropriate. Unless we are only going to have one sided 'walking on eggshells lest we disagree' debate....

Upvote 0

eroica

Jan 23, 2005
✟238.00
Faith
Christian
BLESSEDBETHEMEEK said:
sometimes the truth hurts....

isnt it the bible that says "the truth will set you free"....

sure; I'll stop the conservative "bashing" as soon as someone can explain to me why the right is so silent over the torture, arbitrary arrest, lack of legal representation etc. Why the right is so eager to have the legal mastermind of the torture chambers in Abu Graiab & Gitmo become Attorney-General of the United States.

Upvote 0

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
eroica said:
sure; I'll stop the conservative "bashing" as soon as someone can explain to me why the right is so silent over the torture, arbitrary arrest, lack of legal representation etc. Why the right is so eager to have the legal mastermind of the torture chambers in Abu Graiab & Gitmo become Attorney-General of the United States.

need anyone say more......:doh:
AMEN MY FREIND!

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
16.gif
***MOD HAT ON***
16.gif

Let me make this crystal clear right now... There will be NO posts that violate CF Rule 1 - No "Flaming" or other posts that violate GDP forum rules. This means you will NOT make posts that say conservatives, liberals or even Lilliputians have no moral character or values... There will be NO posts that attack an individual's or a group of people's moral character in any shape, form or fashion. Period. In fact, I'd recommend you not even hint at it. There will be no excuses made for personal attacks and none will be accepted.

Consider this notice as fair warning against such posts in the future. Any further posts of the nature I've just described will result in an official warning being issued regardless of your current warning points as per CF protocol. I hope we're crystal clear on this now.

Now please post with respect and courtesy in your words.... regardless of politics, we're all brothers and sisters in Christ. Please try to remember that.

***MOD HAT OFF***

Upvote 0

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
marshlewis said:
Did you try reading it? that sometimes works.

You assume I haven't. I have. I'm asking him to point out where it says the things that he alleged earlier in his post. Like I said, it's not my responsibility to prove someone else's claims.

Reactions: marshlewis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.