✟8,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
https://youtu.be/bSd9T-FZMdk

Please watch this video. My sister is really going through a tough time mentally and physically and she is very confused about a lot of things in the Bible. One thing right now is that she believes she can speak in tongues... Can anyone help explain why this might or might not be to her... Thanks in advance.

Jul 29, 2019
Omaha
✟15,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single

Please watch this video. My sister is really going through a tough time mentally and physically and she is very confused about a lot of things in the Bible. One thing right now is that she believes she can speak in tongues... Can anyone help explain why this might or might not be to her... Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would assume this is in the wrong forum threading. However, if you study what the Koine Greek says about "tongues", it simply means another language.

Gift of tongues meant that someone was granted the power to speak a language they didnt know before without any study on that language.

If all you know is English, gift of tongues would allow you to speak German, Hebrew, Farsi, etc etc. From lack of study, people think it means you can just speak some gibberish. They are wrong.

Example: Acts 2:4

Tongues - in Greek
γλῶσσα glōssa, gloce-sah'; of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication, a language (specially, one naturally unacquired):—tongue.

Notice in Acts 2 that everyone was able to hear Peter in their own language.

Secondly, miraculous gifts were to confirm the word and show the world that Jesus was who he said he was.

Now that we have scripture, we do not need confirmation anymore. Gifts are no longer in use.

1 Corinthians 13:8-10
Ephesians 4:8-13

Miraculous gifts are supernatural occurrences. And you will not find any of those gifts now. Also, they were passed on by the laying of hands from an apostle. There are no apostles now days. Last one (John) died in late 90s AD or so. Therefore, no one can pass on the gifts.

Lastly, I doubt God would be very accepting of people who use profanity to spread his word. Ephesians 4:29; 1 Corinthians 15:33

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Omaha
✟15,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single

Reactions: Halie Stevens
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Omaha
✟15,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
I would assume this is in the wrong forum threading. However, if you study what the Koine Greek says about "tongues", it simply means another language.

Gift of tongues meant that someone was granted the power to speak a language they didnt know before without any study on that language.

If all you know is English, gift of tongues would allow you to speak German, Hebrew, Farsi, etc etc. From lack of study, people think it means you can just speak some gibberish. They are wrong.

Tongues - in Greek
γλῶσσα glōssa, gloce-sah'; of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication, a language (specially, one naturally unacquired):—

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Omaha
✟15,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the assembly; and let him speak to himself, and to YAHUAH. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If anything be revealed to another that sits by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the ruachoth of the prophets are subject to the prophets. QORINTIYM RI'SHON (1 CORINTHIANS) 14:27-32 את CEPHER

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Omaha
✟15,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Yahuah (Christian) god .. that isn’t his name it’s YAHUAH ... is not the author of confusion
What you are doing anyone in the world can do ... it’s just babbling ... if you do speak in tongues you are to have a translator .. or do it by yourself

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is gibberish which has no potential to edify anyone. People could teach their parrots to do that. It could not be from God's Spirit. If she is not just joking she is really, really confused and deceived. If she is joking she is blatantly mocking holy things. I'd ask where she learned that but that doesn't even take skill to learn.

I suggest if she really wants spiritual insight that she study the passages in the Bible about the Holy Spirit and what God's purposes are in giving one the Holy Spirit; or just read the Bible straightforward. It won't take much biblical truth to greatly improve her discernment. Not trying to be harsh or even sarcastic- just an honest answer to your question; and you can all be encouraged that if you really want to know God, understand His will, and have keen spiritual insight you can start where you are and He'll take you as far as you're willing to go on this condition:
" And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13) Jesus is the Great Physician and if you will put yourself into His care by surrendering to His authority and obeying His commandments to the best of your knowledge He will teach you His ways, heal your heart, and prepare you to stand before Him on Judgment Day pure and blameless.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the assembly; and let him speak to himself, and to YAHUAH. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If anything be revealed to another that sits by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the ruachoth of the prophets are subject to the prophets. QORINTIYM RI'SHON (1 CORINTHIANS) 14:27-32 את CEPHER

Even in 1 Cor. 14

Tongues in Greek is= the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

Believe what you may, I was just informing you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yahuah (Christian) god .. that isn’t his name it’s YAHUAH ... is not the author of confusion
What you are doing anyone in the world can do ... it’s just babbling ... if you do speak in tongues you are to have a translator .. or do it by yourself

Agreed. This is not a divinely inspired gift of speaking. It's clear the person does very much believe it is from God but it's just her doing her best as she believes is correct. There sadly is no wisdom or knowledge being expressed...nothing is being expressed other than random sounds, many repeating over and over.

Unknown tongues is nothing more or less than "foreign languages"...speaking in a language others don't know such as speaking Latin to those who only understand Chinese. Someone is supposed to translate or otherwise don't speak since the people listening won't be able to understand what is being said.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Tongues is praying to God in the Spirit. Paul said that he would pray with the Spirit (tongues) and pray with the understanding (his own language), also he says that the person who speaks in tongues speaks to God because no person can understand what is being said, because the person is speaking mysteries in the Spirit. Jude says to build ourselves up in the most holy faith, praying in the Spirit (tongues). Also, in Ephesians 6 when Paul talks about prayer as part of the amour of God, he mentions praying in the Spirit (also in tongues).

I can understand the desire to demonstrate the gift so that those who are knowledgeable in the Spirit can encourage her that what she has is genuine tongues. But she also leaves herself open to those who would put her down and tell her that what she has is false. My advice is don't believe those critics - ignore them completely and go with your own heart. If you believe that the language you are speaking is tongues, then according to your faith let it be.

There is a set of Scriptural steps that ensure that you get the right gift:
If you believe that God wants you to have the gift, which you appear to have that settled in yourself, then you need to:
1. Ask for the gift, knowing that God will give you exactly what you ask for according to His will. The Scripture says that if you ask for bread He will not give you a stone, and if you ask for fish He will not give you a snake. So, if you ask for the genuine gift of tongues He will not allow you to have something that is false.
2. Receive it from the Lord. Say, "I now receive this gift in faith".
At this stage you have the gift.
3. Now you activate your faith by speaking a language you have never learned. It may sound like gobbledygook to you, but because God has given you the gift to enhance your prayer life, He understands what you are saying.

If you didn't go through those steps, there is no problem going through them. Then you will find that you will just continue speaking as before.

What I discern is that you have a good heart and spirit while speaking in tongues. It does not sound forced, and there is the appearance of joy and peace with it. I don't get any kind of check in my spirit when I hear you speak it.

But you need to be careful to carefully read 1 Corinthians 14, and keep strictly to Paul's teaching about it. Remember that it is a prayer language for you to speak to God and it is not for the hearing of others without an interpreter present in the meeting. You will find that others may be speaking tongues in meetings without an interpreter, and this might not be approved by Paul, so you need to be careful and wise about praying in tongues out loud publicly.

But overall, I have no problem with the exercise of your gift and you will find two things:
1. Things will start happening in your life and ministry as the Holy Spirit leads you that you cause you to praise God for what He is doing with you.
2. You will experience opposition from the devil and his representatives because he hates tongues because they are a threat to him. Usually, the devil will come in the form of those who will criticise you, accuse you of being false, and will try to talk you out of it by saying it ceased after the last Apostle died. Believe none of this. These are lying spirits in the mouths of those critics to rob you of the blessing of being able to pray in the Spirit as well as with your understanding.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Even in 1 Cor. 14

Tongues in Greek is= the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

This is not what Paul says about tongues. Watch that you are not believing a lying spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Tongues - in Greek
γλῶσσα glōssa, gloce-sah'; of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication, a language (specially, one naturally unacquired):—tongue.

Notice in Acts 2 that everyone was able to hear Peter in their own language.

Secondly, miraculous gifts were to confirm the word and show the world that Jesus was who he said he was.

Now that we have scripture, we do not need confirmation anymore. Gifts are no longer in use.

1 Corinthians 13:8-10
Ephesians 4:8-13

Miraculous gifts are supernatural occurrences. And you will not find any of those gifts now. Also, they were passed on by the laying of hands from an apostle. There are no apostles now days. Last one (John) died in late 90s AD or so. Therefore, no one can pass on the gifts.

Lastly, I doubt God would be very accepting of people who use profanity to spread his word. Ephesians 4:29; 1 Corinthians 15:33
This is what the devil says to try and talk people out of being able to pray in the Spirit. The devil hates tongues because it is a threat to him. He will use anyone and any logical reason to stop godly people using their spiritual prayer language to communicate in the Spirit to God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
it could be, for me the gift of tongues is not a big deal, if she understand what is she saying it could be real
How do you relate that to 1 Corinthians 14:2 where it says that when a person speaks in tongues they are speaking to God, and that no one understands the language (except God, who does)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
How do you relate that to 1 Corinthians 14:2 where it says that when a person speaks in tongues they are speaking to God, and that no one understands the language (except God, who does)?
people knows what are they praying with tongues

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That is gibberish which has no potential to edify anyone. People could teach their parrots to do that. It could not be from God's Spirit. If she is not just joking she is really, really confused and deceived. If she is joking she is blatantly mocking holy things. I'd ask where she learned that but that doesn't even take skill to learn.

I suggest if she really wants spiritual insight that she study the passages in the Bible about the Holy Spirit and what God's purposes are in giving one the Holy Spirit; or just read the Bible straightforward. It won't take much biblical truth to greatly improve her discernment. Not trying to be harsh or even sarcastic- just an honest answer to your question; and you can all be encouraged that if you really want to know God, understand His will, and have keen spiritual insight you can start where you are and He'll take you as far as you're willing to go on this condition:
" And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13) Jesus is the Great Physician and if you will put yourself into His care by surrendering to His authority and obeying His commandments to the best of your knowledge He will teach you His ways, heal your heart, and prepare you to stand before Him on Judgment Day pure and blameless.
How do you know that she is speaking gibberish? Are you doubting her sincerity and faith? If she is adding her faith to 1 Corinthians 14:2, then what Scripture are you basing your contrary view on? If her heart is right with God, and only He can know that, then you might be opposing the Holy Spirit in her who is inspiring her speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
people knows what are they praying with tongues
That is contrary to 1 Corinthians 14:2 where Paul distinctly says that when a person prays in tongues no person is able to understand what is being said. You either believe what is actually written in Scripture or you don't. If a person is praying in tongues to God, then He is the one to understand what is being said. No one else has to understand it because it is not directed to them. If you went to God and asked Him to tell you what she said in tongues, He might tell you to go and mind your own business and not try to interfere into private and personal conversations between her and Him!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Even in 1 Cor. 14

I think she is just believing 1 Corinthians 14:2. What are you believing?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.