Is this Old Testament passage "hate speech"?

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The following is not allowed in Steam games:
Hate speech, i.e. speech that promotes hatred, violence or discrimination against groups of people based on ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation
I wanted to include the following passage in my game:
Deuteronomy 20:16-17
But what about the cities the Lord your God is giving you as your own? Kill everything that breathes in those cities. Completely destroy them. Wipe out the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. That’s what the Lord your God commanded you to do.
It seems to involve violence based on ethnicity though I don't think those ethnicities still exist. I hope it doesn't count as hate speech. What do Christians think?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
At the flood God wiped out every man woman and child - all except 8 humans.
Sodom and Gomorrah - God killed every man woman and child - all except Lot and his family living with him in his home.

When Israel entered Canaan - they were organized under a unique Theocracy - and were told to wipe out the nations occupying the land - those who did not flee from Israel.

IN Genesis 18 God takes Abraham into Canaan - and wipes out no one. God tells Abraham that the allotted time of probation for the Canaanites had not yet completed. God is the one that places a limit on rebellion - not man.

In the New Testament no death sentence at all is passed on anyone for the worship of false gods nor is death sentence passed in the OT for any foreigner that comes into the land and worships his/her false god.

In Gen 1-4 -- there were no false gods , no worship of false gods. Mankind had none.

In Gen 8 and 9 - no false gods -- mankind had no false gods then either.

From Genesis 1 to Genesis 50 -- no servant of God is called to kill someone for worshipping false gods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems to involve violence based on ethnicity though I don't think those ethnicities still exist. I hope it doesn't count as hate speech. What do Christians think?

God gave them 430 years advanced notice to vacate the land -- but they didn't.

It would be like you visiting the Grand Canyon, only to find out when you got home that squatters moved into your house.

Any attempts to have them removed is met with strong resistance.

Finally SWAT arrives to take them out.

That's kind of a crude example, but effective.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@AV1611VET
My question is not about whether it was justified, just whether it technically fits the rule against "hate speech".

Beats me, John.

I'm not familiar with the rules of hate speech.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Beats me, John.

I'm not familiar with the rules of hate speech.
This is Steam's definition:
Hate speech, i.e. speech that promotes hatred, violence or discrimination against groups of people based on ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is Steam's definition:

In that case, if I was Moses, I'd instruct them not to talk to their squatters.

Just eliminate them and keep your mouths shut.

But all seriousness aside, just like you can't make laws that violate the Constitution, Steam can't make rules that violate God's orders.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
BTW there is an interesting part later in the passage:
Deuteronomy 20:19
Suppose you surround a city and get ready to attack it. And suppose you fight against it for a long time in order to capture it. Then don’t chop down its trees and destroy them. You can eat their fruit. So don’t cut them down. Are the trees people? So why should you attack them?
So in the game the soldiers get upset if you hurt fruit trees.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BTW there is an interesting part later in the passage:

So in the game the soldiers get upset if you hurt fruit trees.

Don't you think that's good advice?

Don't cut the trees down.

Leave them standing for food.

Not to mention shelter from the shooters on the wall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Don't you think that's good advice?

Don't cut the trees down.

Leave them standing for food.

Not to mention shelter from the shooters on the wall.
Verse 20 says:
But you can cut down trees that you know aren’t fruit trees. You can build war machines out of their wood. You can use them until you capture the city you are fighting against.
On second thoughts maybe the passage about the fruit trees applies to any city they attack and not just those in the promised land.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Verse 20 says:

That passage about the fruit trees only seems to apply to the cities in the promised land and not other places.

Right.

You go to the Grand Canyon, come home and find squatters in your house, call SWAT to have them removed.

But you wouldn't ask SWAT to take out your neighbor's house too, would you?

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Right.

You go to the Grand Canyon, come home and find squatters in your house, call SWAT to have them removed.

But you wouldn't ask SWAT to take out your neighbor's house too, would you?
Note the passage talks about killing "everything that breathes" so the SWAT should kill their cat too? (I just interpret the passage as perhaps not actually being historical)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Hate speech is a term coined by the godless to attack those who are godly.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This is about judgement. The Canaanites were an evil race, God gave them hundreds of years to repent, they did not. They comitted such things as sacrificing children to gods.

So God made end to it. He chose Israel to carry His judgement, and to teach Israel that sin has concequences so they remain Holy.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, in today's society this would be considered hate speech. But who are we to judge God and His reasons for destroying nations who threaten the purity of His chosen people? The chosen are the 12 tribes of Israel who will eventually usher in the Messiah, Jesus Christ of Nazareth who will save all humanity.
We are now under the command to LOVE one another. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟328,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It would depend on the agenda being sought I suppose. There are a lot of books that can be discredited by taking one sentence out and judging it by excluding the rest of the book.

If you consider all of the Bible's teaching, you will find that its author spoke in Parables, by His own admission. That the Book is Spiritual, and that the battles that are talked about, are not against flesh and blood, but against wicked thoughts, and imaginations of the heart. That they are "Examples" and the things that happen to them, were written for our admonition.

The end resulting in a man who loves others, and fights against being a "respecter of persons" or judging folks by class, color or mental condition.

The battle you speak of, is against wicked thoughts in the mind. We are not to tolerate them, live with them, co-exist with them, we are to destroy them, every last part of them. "man, woman, child, cattle, dog, etc.".

It would be the same mindset you might have regarding "hate Speech".

"Hate speech, i.e. speech that promotes hatred, violence or discrimination against groups of people based on ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation".

You might come into a land with a group of people who, for instance, hate Israel or Jews, and want to wipe them off the planet, "from the river to the sea". Would you let this thought come into your mind, and stay there? I would hope no, and these thoughts would be fought against and destroyed from within your heart. Every last part of them.

This would represent the teaching of the Bible, in my learned view.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It very well could be considered a form of "hate speech."

But then, if we affirm this as true, there will be all sorts of inverse, converse, and obverse inferences that will then need to be recognized as also being true in corollary fashion. And if we affirm those inferences, who knows what will happen with a discussion where Epistemology, Ontology and various nuances of Axiology have to come to bear upon our affirmations about our truth claims, however liberal they may be.

But hey! That's what happens when Pandora's Box is opened-----all sorts of nasty logic pretzels about so-called "ethics" come fluttering out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Note the passage talks about killing "everything that breathes" so the SWAT should kill their cat too?

Deuteronomy 20:16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

Orders are orders.

(I just interpret the passage as perhaps not actually being historical)

Is this because someone calls this specific set of orders "hate speech"?

Upvote 0