• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this OCD?

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How long have you had this? Did you find anything to alleviate it in some way? I know doing compulsions make it worse because it keeps the fear going. It's hard for me to stop.

Around 8 years, I have it since I was a little kids. But in that times it not somethings hard.I means likes it only I need to pick this snack bag and don't pick those then it develops to be a vows.I remember when I 10 years old, I used to repeat the words "Don't make vow" all the time. And now the fear just develops.

I prayed, read bible, listen to workship song everyday, that help me so much. And also the fact that If you feel worried, you are not committed unpardonable sin. At first, when someone told me this. Honestly, I felt like it just a phrases that can makes me better. I used to think that when jesus said no forgiveness is no . But I forget to think about others bible verses. And the bible verse can not contradict each others. So, the unpardonable sin, it might have another meaning.

Yes, the more we think about them, the more OCD get worse. Just prayed to God and move on. Continue seek him. It really hard to ignore but you need to try to. Since you isn't be OCD for so long, I found it somewhere that it easier to be recovery.

Also, don't try to read others' ocd stories, It will develops your fear.I suggest you to watch "Ali greymond" on you tube. She a great therapist.

I going to mention it that I cannot conclude that you have ocd, but in my opinion, I think you have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Can you give specifics as to why you think the OP has an OCD condition?
I mean likes I expereince somethings similiar to her. She might have ocd. She having a urge to think something she don't want.But however, I can't conclude it.I also believe the fact that spiritual warfare is real.

Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I read through the OP’s comments many times to make sure I understood what she has written, and asked questions or gave suggestions which could help her look at different perspectives and conditions. I stand by what I have written, and that we can give Satan opportunity to control our behaviour and minds which he does through anxiety and fear, when we or others label ourselves with something.

I’m not saying a true Christian can’t have mental disorders, but that we need to be wary when others or even ourselves would label us with something. Have a look at her results from the online analysis she has done, and selah.
I also agree, I believe the fact of spiritual warfare is real. And we need to careful about it.

Upvote 0

Bee22

Feb 19, 2020
California
✟10,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Around 8 years, I have it since I was a little kids. But in that times it not somethings hard.I means likes it only I need to pick this snack bag and don't pick those then it develops to be a vows.I remember when I 10 years old, I used to repeat the words "Don't make vow" all the time. And now the fear just develops.

I prayed, read bible, listen to workship song everyday, that help me so much. And also the fact that If you feel worried, you are not committed unpardonable sin. At first, when someone told me this. Honestly, I felt like it just a phrases that can makes me better. I used to think that when jesus said no forgiveness is no . But I forget to think about others bible verses. And the bible verse can not contradict each others. So, the unpardonable sin, it might have another meaning.

Yes, the more we think about them, the more OCD get worse. Just prayed to God and move on. Continue seek him. It really hard to ignore but you need to try to. Since you isn't be OCD for so long, I found it somewhere that it easier to be recovery.

Also, don't try to read others' ocd stories, It will develops your fear.I suggest you to watch "Ali greymond" on you tube. She a great therapist.

I going to mention it that I can conclude that you have ocd, but in my opinion, I think you have.

The worry about the unforgivable sin has been on my mind non stop for around six months. I always had assurance issues then I told myself not to worry because there's only one unforgivable sin. I after that my mind panicked and the most fearful terror rushed my mind. Then I started getting thoughts with awful intrusive urges.

8 years is a long time but admire your fight. It shows your heart for God.

Nobody can ever understand what is like to feel like God will never want you when you die. I hope God can give me some hope.

.. I watched some of Ali's videos before, she's the best at tackling OCD. I know this can be a spiritual issue but sometimes it's an anxiety disorder--otherwise ERP therapy wouldn't work.

Thanks for your advice

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bee22

Feb 19, 2020
California
✟10,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
"Have a look at her results from the online analysis she has done, and selah." @Tony B

My main worry is about my faith. The test wasn't focused on that point in detail. It was very general. My thoughts aren't focused on germs or harm. I took one for Scrupulosity and my result was a high probability. I'm not sure labeling me as being attacked by satan is making me feel any less anxiety. I know you didn't mean it to cause anxiety.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The worry about the unforgivable sin has been on my constant for around six months. I always had assurance issues then I told myself not to worry because there's only one unforgivable sin. I after that my mind panicked and the most fearful terror rushed my mind. Then I started getting thoughts with awful intrusive urges. 8 years is a long time but admire your fight. Nobody can ever understand what is like to feel like God will never want you when you die.
At first, I always blame myself because ofthose thought. It hurt when I don't know I have ocd. It a very awful time. In the past, I hated myself and wonder if anyone expereinced those thought too.

Altgought I can't conclude for you that you have ocd. But please always remind yourself that god always with us. I really mean that. Even, we don't feel him, He always with you.
Sometimes, I really thank God for giving me ocd, it might seems strange, but I really thanks him. Ocd makes me seek him and trust him. So however your situation are, seek god and trust in him. I suggest you to listen to "back to shore". It a workshop song. One day, when our ocd completely heal, we will realized that it really draw us near to god.And we will happily sing this song.

Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
@Gkst
Could you relate to any my symptoms. Does it feel like an unwanted urge? I had some pop up thoughts today which made feel so bad. I just want to have a brain like a normal Christian.
I have the urge to think unwanted thought, but now it develops to an urge to speak. How funny it is that I have to make sure my lip is touching each others, my teeth biting each others.It makes me have hard time even when I brush my teeth. I scared when I might can not control what I speak during my mouth open. It weird when I have to put my hand to close my mouth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, either you having ocd or not. Solution is the same, trust in god. And continue to seek him.

.... and if you can, encircle yourself with Christian friends that can encourage you, and remind you that you are saved by your faith in The Lord Jesus Christ, and that faith is a gift you haven’t earned and never will. Therefore we can rest in God’s goodness, not our own. And as the apostle said, no one can separate us from the love of God, if we hold to our belief that Jesus is the Christ. The words of the song ‘Amazing Grace’ are appropriate to all Christians, and unless we decide to toss the gift of faith away, or maliciously mock the workings of the Holy Spirit, we are safe. If Satan would try and suggest otherwise, tell him to take a running jump into the lake of fire, he can’t rob us of our peace because God has given that to us.

I took that OCD test and gave up after I reached a score of 60. I don’t lie, past acquaintances have said that I am pathologically honest. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD from my war experience (Vietnam) and from the consequences of a divorce from an unfaithful spouse, and have been rejected by the church and my natural daughters. I probably sin daily, but nothing or no one will ever take my faith in The Lord Jesus, and therefore my salvation, from me. Amen

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I read through the OP’s comments many times to make sure I understood what she has written, and asked questions or gave suggestions which could help her look at different perspectives and conditions. I stand by what I have written, and that we can give Satan opportunity to control our behaviour and minds which he does through anxiety and fear, when we or others label ourselves with something.

I’m not saying a true Christian can’t have mental disorders, but that we need to be wary when others or even ourselves would label us with something. Have a look at her results from the online analysis she has done, and selah.
Oh no, I absolutely agree with you, and I think you’ve given very sound advice. I still struggle every day to put my trust in Jesus because I trust in my feelings too much. But back to what you said, the Pharisees were adamant about their rejection of Jesus, and they went as far as attributing His work to Satan. And even after that, Jesus still warned them. OP, my answer is the same as many others: If you’re worried you’ve committed the unpardonable sin, then I think it’s only logical that you haven’t. I used to struggle with this a lot too, and I hope this provides you rest.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"

I'm not sure labeling me as being attacked by satan is making me feel any less anxiety. I know you didn't mean it to cause anxiety.

I haven’t labelled you as being attacked by Satan Bee, it was a generalised statement about what the evil one will do, and that to us all. Every Christian will be under attack from the evil one, and it’s through our knowledge of God’s goodness and faithfulness towards we His children, we can ignore Satan’s deceptions and false accusations.

But I don’t want to be a hindrance at all to you and your healing, so it’s best I leave it at that, except to say that I think you should raise your concerns with your GP/MD. Shalom :blush:

Upvote 0

Bee22

Feb 19, 2020
California
✟10,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Cognitive behavioural therapist here.

You can use this scale to see if you have OCD symptoms (it’s not a diagnostic tool it’s an assessment tool).

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/depts/p...pings/CADAT/Links/OCI-Questionnaire-(PDF).pdf

Score 42 or higher and you would be eligible for therapy in my country.
Hi again.

I took a test designed for Scrupulosity OCD prior, the results showed a high probability of me having it and the therapist agreed when I told her my symptoms online. But becauseI I didn't make it to the 42 on this test, does that mean I don't have scrupes and something else could be wrong with me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bee22

Feb 19, 2020
California
✟10,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I haven’t labelled you as being attacked by Satan Bee, it was a generalised statement about what the evil one will do, and that to us all. Every Christian will be under attack from the evil one, and it’s through our knowledge of God’s goodness and faithfulness towards we His children, we can ignore Satan’s deceptions and false accusations.

But I don’t want to be a hindrance at all to you and your healing, so it’s best I leave it at that, except to say that I think you should raise your concerns with your GP/MD. Shalom :blush:
Sorry, I maybe took it the wrong way when you brought up my results for the general OCD test to another and then mentioned Satan, it kind of made me feel like something was terribly wrong with me if I'm having uncontrollable urges and thoughts that aren't my own and if the implications of your answers seem to be more focused to steer me from being labeled with scrupes. Maybe I'm over analyzing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi again.

I took a test designed for Scrupulosity OCD prior, the results showed a high probability of me having it and the therapist agreed when I told her my symptoms online. But becauseI I didn't make it to the 42 on this test, does that mean I don't have scrupes and something else could be wrong with me?
Scrupulosity is often associated with obsessive compulsive personality disorder. It’s quite different to OCD.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Scrupulosity is often associated with obsessive compulsive personality disorder. It’s quite different to OCD.
Wow. I never heard that before. I thought because you have an obsessional theme, and intrusive thoughts, along with compulsions, it was more aligned with Pure O OCD

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have to do something to distract myself from it. I was told that was a called a compulsion.
I don't think that a compulsion. Honestly, I always have hard times doing others thing I feel likes it makes me have difficult times control my thought. But however, I can not conclude it.

Upvote 0