✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
Jesus the Christ, the only begotten Son of the living God? He's deceitful? Are you intentionally insulting our Saviour?

No, I'm not. My problem is that you can always find connections between individuals, no matter how good one person is and how bad the other is. But was not Christ born in one country (Israel) and raised in another (Egypt)? Did not Christ "burst" upon the "national scene" in his 30s and draw amazing crowds due to his speeches (like the Sermon on the Mount)? Do we not know little of Christ's work history prior to his ministry but we do know he never had a position leading any organization? Were not his true views unknown (because he wasn't preaching) until the last few years of his life? And especially for those that are a bit cynical, Christ's birth was "sketchy" since they were attempting to hide that fact that Christ's mother never married his true father, nor was she married to his step-father and, again if someone is cynical, his father led to issues in Christ's life.

Now, I'm not meaning to be cynical or insulting to Christ, just pointing out that there are similarities -- possibly as many as there are in truth with Obama. And it takes probably at least as cynical a view of Obama to even make it really fit him. For example, prior to politics Obama worked as a law professor at one of the most highly ranked law schools in the country as well as at a highly respected Chicago law firm -- I think most people wish their resume's were that "sketchy". Not to mention, as has been pointed out here, that everything here doesn't really even fit Hitler.

In Herbie's article, there was a description of an unscrupulous, deceitful person. Tying my Saviour into that description is insulting.

Upvote 0

exotic walrus

Aug 11, 2009
Australia
✟814.00
Faith
Atheist
Reactions: Staccato
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In Herbie's article, there was a description of an unscrupulous, deceitful person. Tying my Saviour into that description is insulting.

I don't think it really does -- we perceive the list as such because of who and what HH is trying to tie it into. And, in fact, some of what you perceive as negative isn't necessarily negative, despite the spin that is HH is trying to put on the list. Christ was criticized by people in his time for the company he kept, "he dined with publicans and sinners". I'm sorry that you are insulted but the point is that just because a person can be seen to fit on this list doesn't make that person "deceitful or unscrupulous". Again, if you search hard enough you can find things to connect any two people -- just because they have things in common does not make the two people similar in their morality.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny

I don't think it really does -- we perceive the list as such because of who and what HH is trying to tie it into. And, in fact, some of what you perceive as negative isn't necessarily negative, despite the spin that is HH is trying to put on the list. Christ was criticized by people in his time for the company he kept, "he dined with publicans and sinners". I'm sorry that you are insulted but the point is that just because a person can be seen to fit on this list doesn't make that person "deceitful or unscrupulous". Again, if you search hard enough you can find things to connect any two people -- just because they have things in common does not make the two people similar in their morality.

My Saviour is the only begotten Son of the living God. He was sent here for the purpose of re-uniting sinful man to God. He died on the cross to make this possible.

Kindly do not insult my Saviour.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
My Saviour is the only begotten Son of the living God. He was sent here for the purpose of re-uniting sinful man to God. He died on the cross to make this possible.

Kindly do not insult my Saviour.

And where did I insult him? I said that some might claim he has a sketchy birth -- is it not true that his mother and step-father (and if I didn't use step-father here, would you not be insulted?) tried to "hide" his birth so that people wouldn't realize she was pregnant before they were married? Was Christ not born in one country and raised in another? Did not Christ have a "sketchy" work history (can you give anything more about what he did other than he was a carpenter?) before his ministry and never lead any organization? Was he not criticized for the company he kept? Was not his view (that he was the Son of God) hidden because of how people would react if they knew that (charges of blasphemy)? Did he not draw crowds because he was an amazing orator?

Is any of this untrue? Does any of this not match Herbie's list? I have not insulted the Savior (while he might have saved you, he is not solely your savior). Again, my point is that this list does not make someone good or bad -- despite Herbie's attempt to try to twist it into something bad. And if you are insulted by someone merely pointing out that Christ fits many of the things listed then perhaps you are looking to be insulted or looking for insult where none was intended.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is nice to see that these threads are having lower and lower Republican participation. Sure they draw a few (of the usual) nutters but by and large Conservatives are keeping a distance. If only the OP would take notice just like that kid that eventually notices he is perpetually the last one picked. Not just in kickball, but everything.

I can't believe you haven't noticed yet Herbie.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
And where did I insult him? I said that some might claim he has a sketchy birth -- is it not true that his mother and step-father (and if I didn't use step-father here, would you not be insulted?) tried to "hide" his birth so that people wouldn't realize she was pregnant before they were married? Was Christ not born in one country and raised in another? Did not Christ have a "sketchy" work history (can you give anything more about what he did other than he was a carpenter?) before his ministry and never lead any organization? Was he not criticized for the company he kept? Was not his view (that he was the Son of God) hidden because of how people would react if they knew that (charges of blasphemy)? Did he not draw crowds because he was an amazing orator?

Is any of this untrue? Does any of this not match Herbie's list? I have not insulted the Savior (while he might have saved you, he is not solely your savior). Again, my point is that this list does not make someone good or bad -- despite Herbie's attempt to try to twist it this way. And if you are insulted by someone merely pointing out that Christ fits many of the things listed then perhaps you are looking to be insulted or looking for insult where none was intended.

This is a Christian site. If in fact you do not take seriously that we indeed believe in a Saviour who sinned not, and came to this world to obliterate sin, do not berate our Saviour before our very eyes simply because you do not believe the same thing.

To tie him in with sinners and compare him to such is not only insulting, but blasphemy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This is a Christian site. If in fact you do not take seriously that we indeed believe in a Saviour who sinned not, and came to this world to obliterate sin, do not berate our Saviour before our very eyes simply because you do not believe the same thing.

To tie him in with sinners and compare him to such is not only insulting, but blasphemy.

Where did I say Christ sinned? I'm sorry you're insulted but I have not intentionally insulted him nor meant to imply anything negative. My only point is the stupidity of making a list like this and trying to force people into it to make them appear to be something sinister. And if you feel I've broken the rules than please report me, otherwise do not accuse me of motives that I do not have.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I was unaware that Christ's primary teaching was Christian elitism.

Do you believe in Him? Do you know His teachings? Did you know that God Almighty does not take kindly to anyone that insults His Son? Do you know what it means when God rolls up His sleeves? Do you know what it means that it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Where did I say Christ sinned? I'm sorry you're insulted but I have not intentionally insulted him nor meant to imply anything negative. My only point is the stupidity of making a list like this and trying to force people into it to make them appear to be something sinister. And if you feel I've broken the rules than please report me, otherwise do not accuse me of motives that I do not have.

Perhaps you should think twice before posting a casual comparison of our Saviour to Hitler. (or anyone else)

Upvote 0

exotic walrus

Aug 11, 2009
Australia
✟814.00
Faith
Atheist
Do you believe in Him?

Obviously not.

Do you know His teachings?

Like turning the other cheek and loving your enemy? Yeah I know and agree with many of the principles he adhered to.

Did you know that God Almighty does not take kindly to anyone that insults His Son? Do you know what it means when God rolls up His sleeves? Do you know what it means that it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God?

No I don't similarly it would seem to you not knowing about the aforementioned principles of acceptance even for those you might dislike or who have insulted you.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Obviously not.

Like turning the other cheek and loving your enemy? Yeah I know and agree with many of the principles he adhered to.

No I don't similarly it would seem to you not knowing about the aforementioned principles of acceptance even for those you might dislike or who have insulted you.

You know not the God i speak of, yet you have opinions on Who He is? God Almighyty also busts chops. It is written.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Guess what else!!!

Hitler had two eyes, Obama also has two eyes.
Hitler breathed oxygen, Obama also breathes oxygen.
Hitler used his hands to write with, Obama also uses his hands to write with.

It really is scary just what all these two have in common!

Upvote 0

exotic walrus

Aug 11, 2009
Australia
✟814.00
Faith
Atheist
Guess what else!!!

Hitler had two eyes, Obama also has two eyes.
Hitler breathed oxygen, Obama also breathes oxygen.
Hitler used his hands to write with, Obama also uses his hands to write with.

It really is scary just what all these two have in common!

One might say that its even... chilling.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I'm not. My problem is that you can always find connections between individuals, no matter how good one person is and how bad the other is. But was not Christ born in one country (Israel) and raised in another (Egypt)? Did not Christ "burst" upon the "national scene" in his 30s and draw amazing crowds due to his speeches (like the Sermon on the Mount)? Do we not know little of Christ's work history prior to his ministry but we do know he never had a position leading any organization? Were not his true views unknown (because he wasn't preaching) until the last few years of his life? And especially for those that are a bit cynical, Christ's birth was "sketchy" since they were attempting to hide that fact that Christ's mother never married his true father, nor was she married to his step-father and, again if someone is cynical, his father led to issues in Christ's life.

Now, I'm not meaning to be cynical or insulting to Christ, just pointing out that there are similarities -- possibly as many as there are in truth with Obama. And it takes probably at least as cynical a view of Obama to even make it really fit him. For example, prior to politics Obama worked as a law professor at one of the most highly ranked law schools in the country as well as at a highly respected Chicago law firm -- I think most people wish their resume's were that "sketchy". Not to mention, as has been pointed out here, that everything here doesn't really even fit Hitler.

I find this post to be an excellent display of critical thinking - and not an insult to Jesus Christ at all. This post (and the previous statement) is showing the ludicrousness of trying to infer that anyone is "Hitlerian" by drawing comparisons between Hitler and the other person that many people (including Jesus) have in common. If Hitler, Obama, and Jesus were all vegetarians does it mean that all three want to commit acts of genocide? The answer is NO!

The only reason the Jesus/Hitler comparison works is BECAUSE it is so ludicrous. No one (even atheists) would find anything MEANINGFUL in common between Jesus and Hitler, but there are plenty of MEANINGLESS similarities between all men.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One might say that its even... chilling.

this is more chiling:

Fiery murmurings, skulls and bones,
darkly moving shadowy groans
Pits of bondage
Howls of pain
haunting sorrows
Gnawing shame
Hope is gone
All is lost
What a pity
What a cost
To cast aside the grace