• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this depression or OVERLY sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

one 4 Christ

True happiness is serving The Lord!
Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Good day, I have writen in my journal about something that very much bothers me. Please take a look, the entry is called "Outcast"
http://www.christianforums.com/t1454121-a-sensitive-christian-jotting-down-her-thoughts-and-feelings.html
As you can see that I get my feeling hurt often.
When I was young I was outcasted. Even to this day I am outcasted. For I look NOTHING of the world. I perfer to be alone or with my close friend. I do NOT trust at all (except to the Almighty one). I even put a prayer request on this board (a prayer that I am in dyer straits to come true) and I feel as if some people are judging me of that. Here take a look at this prayer:
http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=14939308
There is a trait called "A highly Sensitive Person" which is me to the core. Is that how I am being, you know too sensitive?
Or is it something from my past that is getting to me?
:help:

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You describe yourself as oversensitive. I believe that is at least one thing you have correctly assessed.

The next question is why and then what can you do about it. If you want to get better I recommend a 12-step program, perhaps AlA-Non (based on references to you Mom).

Even at your age you do not seem "Grown UP" but rather in a full cycle of a self pity party. Perhaps it is your childhood (But caution--it does no good to cast blame and/or hold on to resentments). But whatever it is you need some type of coping skills in order to live in the real world.

If you get your feelings hurt because no one posted to a "game" thread you started, there is little doubt you should be careful about participating in something like forums. Not because it hurt, but because of how you seem to hang on to the hurt. Forums are places for people to express opinions. You can/should expect to encounter those with opinions different than yours, otherwise why would they exist.

Some like to debate--in a debate there is an opponnet. There are times when you will be on the opposing side from someone else. You can not take this stuff personally. The fact that you do is my concern.

There will always be opposition in life. Without it how could there be victory. If you believe in good, you should believe in evil. (God/Devil etc.) The enemy will attack you, and you must arm yourself w/some kind of confidence or defense mechanism.

Your sensitivity seems severe--thus I expect your depression is deeper than most as well, call in the professionals if you have to, but honey, you got to do something to help yourself, this is not the way Christ wants Christians to live.

REMEMBER: Free advice is worth the price you pay and that includes mine. (Hope to see you back on the relaxation threads).

Reactions: pegatha
Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
dyanm said:
You describe yourself as oversensitive. I believe that is at least one thing you have correctly assessed.

The next question is why and then what can you do about it. If you want to get better I recommend a 12-step program, perhaps AlA-Non (based on references to you Mom).

Even at your age you do not seem "Grown UP" but rather in a full cycle of a self pity party. Perhaps it is your childhood (But caution--it does no good to cast blame and/or hold on to resentments). But whatever it is you need some type of coping skills in order to live in the real world.

If you get your feelings hurt because no one posted to a "game" thread you started, there is little doubt you should be careful about participating in something like forums. Not because it hurt, but because of how you seem to hang on to the hurt. Forums are places for people to express opinions. You can/should expect to encounter those with opinions different than yours, otherwise why would they exist.

Some like to debate--in a debate there is an opponnet. There are times when you will be on the opposing side from someone else. You can not take this stuff personally. The fact that you do is my concern.

There will always be opposition in life. Without it how could there be victory. If you believe in good, you should believe in evil. (God/Devil etc.) The enemy will attack you, and you must arm yourself w/some kind of confidence or defense mechanism.

Your sensitivity seems severe--thus I expect your depression is deeper than most as well, call in the professionals if you have to, but honey, you got to do something to help yourself, this is not the way Christ wants Christians to live.

REMEMBER: Free advice is worth the price you pay and that includes mine. (Hope to see you back on the relaxation threads).
Okay, I am in self pitty, that is what you are saying, God screwed up with me, Okay???? I am just a defect and should not be here. Why don't you go ahead and pray for that!
I was asking for help not to be ridiculed for something that Jesus gave me!!!
I am sorry but I am sensitive and I have grown up THANK YOU!!
Sincerely,
The sensitive one!!!

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
one4Christ-

I can relate quite a bit to what you posted about being highly sensitive. There have been studies done on "HSP's" or Highly Sensitive People.... and it seems like it is an inborn trait separate from other dispositional traits or circumstances.

It also just makes you feel worse when people tell you that you're immature for having that trait (people have done that to me too). I think people who tell you that are being evil and heartless.

As far as not belonging, I know that all too well, too.... and all I can say there is when you do find someone or somewhere you belong.... it's all the sweeter. You enjoy it 100 times more than the "normal" people who would take it for granted and not even know what they have. Same goes for being sensitive.... it means you're sensitive to the good things and enjoy them more than others.

Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
invisiblebabe said:
one4Christ-

I can relate quite a bit to what you posted about being highly sensitive. There have been studies done on "HSP's" or Highly Sensitive People.... and it seems like it is an inborn trait separate from other dispositional traits or circumstances.

It also just makes you feel worse when people tell you that you're immature for having that trait (people have done that to me too). I think people who tell you that are being evil and heartless.

As far as not belonging, I know that all too well, too.... and all I can say there is when you do find someone or somewhere you belong.... it's all the sweeter. You enjoy it 100 times more than the "normal" people who would take it for granted and not even know what they have. Same goes for being sensitive.... it means you're sensitive to the good things and enjoy them more than others.

:amen: and God bless you for your encouraging words!!!:)

Upvote 0

ladylike

High fives and hugs!
Jan 31, 2005
Australia
✟9,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sensitive too, I take comments to heart and I know it's because of my upbringing and how I haven't been taught many life skills.

I am trying everyday to leave it up to God and not to be as hard on myself when it's the other person's opinion what they think of me. I got teased in high school but I don't think I am ugly now, at least I think I am okay looking.

I hope we can work to be not as sensitive or looking at sitautions in all different lights...

Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
ladylike said:
I am sensitive too, I take comments to heart and I know it's because of my upbringing and how I haven't been taught many life skills.

I am trying everyday to leave it up to God and not to be as hard on myself when it's the other person's opinion what they think of me. I got teased in high school but I don't think I am ugly now, at least I think I am okay looking.

I hope we can work to be not as sensitive or looking at sitautions in all different lights...

:wave: I know what you mean. I was teased in high school as well. My brother was the jock and I was the very quiet one. My mother (before she became and alcoholic) very much "sheltered me" when I was a child as well. I am like you, where as I do not find myself ugly, just very "sweet/natural" looking.
God bless on your kind words, it is so nice to know that there are others out there who are just as sensitive as I:thumbsup: Take care and God Bless!!:)

Upvote 0

SeekAnd

HIS STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN MY WEAKNESS!
Apr 14, 2005
The State of Confusion
✟5,075.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think this response is rude, heartless and extremely insensitive!
Would you tell someone with a broken leg to just "walk it off"

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass...
dyanm said:
dyanm said:

Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
SeekAnd said:
I think this response is rude, heartless and extremely insensitive!
Would you tell someone with a broken leg to just "walk it off"

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass...

I agree!!!
God Bless you!!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard

Legend
Aug 2, 2004
✟23,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
dyanm said:

You have no right to say this, this is a very rude thing to say.

Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
hEaRnOeViL said:
You have no right to say this, this is a very rude thing to say.

Oh, I so much agree.
When I read what this person wrote to my roommate (because I was so shocked about how rude that was) she just could not understand why someone would waste their time to post something as rude and heartless as that.:eek: :(

Upvote 0

wendythepooh

The Poohinator
Apr 19, 2005
Midwest
✟12,435.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
only 4 Christ, I will pray for you. I am overly sensitive as well. People who don't understand can be very heartless, and I am amazed at their ignorance. I agree with invisiblebabe, when she said that

"As far as not belonging, I know that all too well, too.... and all I can say there is when you do find someone or somewhere you belong.... it's all the sweeter. You enjoy it 100 times more than the "normal" people who would take it for granted and not even know what they have. Same goes for being sensitive.... it means you're sensitive to the good things and enjoy them more than others."

This is 100% true! I can be upset easily, but I am also easy to please. (at least most of the time ;) )

God bless you, and comfort you! :hug:

Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
wendythepooh said:
only 4 Christ, I will pray for you. I am overly sensitive as well. People who don't understand can be very heartless, and I am amazed at their ignorance. I agree with invisiblebabe, when she said that

"As far as not belonging, I know that all too well, too.... and all I can say there is when you do find someone or somewhere you belong.... it's all the sweeter. You enjoy it 100 times more than the "normal" people who would take it for granted and not even know what they have. Same goes for being sensitive.... it means you're sensitive to the good things and enjoy them more than others."

This is 100% true! I can be upset easily, but I am also easy to please. (at least most of the time ;) )

God bless you, and comfort you! :hug:

Thank you so much Wendy, that means a lot it is so great to hear that others understand me!! God bless you!!!:hug:

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one 4 Christ said:
Good day, I have writen in my journal about something that very much bothers me. Please take a look, the entry is called "Outcast"
http://www.christianforums.com/t1454121-a-sensitive-christian-jotting-down-her-thoughts-and-feelings.html
As you can see that I get my feeling hurt often.
When I was young I was outcasted. Even to this day I am outcasted. For I look NOTHING of the world. I perfer to be alone or with my close friend. I do NOT trust at all (except to the Almighty one). I even put a prayer request on this board (a prayer that I am in dyer straits to come true) and I feel as if some people are judging me of that. Here take a look at this prayer:
http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=14939308
There is a trait called "A highly Sensitive Person" which is me to the core. Is that how I am being, you know too sensitive?
Or is it something from my past that is getting to me?
:help:

Hello, one 4 Christ :)

I'm not qualified to speak into whether this is depression or not. I just wanted you to know that I usually post from my favourites and so I hadn't noticed your new threads. :blush: They sound cool, though, so I shall go find them and add them to my favourites in a minute. :clap:

I just want to encourage you that your sensitive feelings are a blessing which will enable you to better know the heart of God for the lost and the suffering. When one has suffered feelings of rejection or 'outcastedness', one can better empathise with those around them who are feeling that way too. The beautiful thing about it is that the Holy Spirit will help you to see these dear ones, and enable you to reach out to them in Christ's love and help to alleviate their feeling of rejection. And so begins a holy, ever-widening circle of friendship in Jesus' name.

Bless you, one 4 Christ. :hug:

Here is a verse which I really love..........

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honour depend on God;
He is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Psalm 62:5-7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
joyshirley said:
Hello, one 4 Christ :)

I'm not qualified to speak into whether this is depression or not. I just wanted you to know that I usually post from my favourites and so I hadn't noticed your new threads. :blush: They sound cool, though, so I shall go find them and add them to my favourites in a minute. :clap:

I just want to encourage you that your sensitive feelings are a blessing which will enable you to better know the heart of God for the lost and the suffering. When one has suffered feelings of rejection or 'outcastedness', one can better empathise with those around them who are feeling that way too. The beautiful thing about it is that the Holy Spirit will help you to see these dear ones, and enable you to reach out to them in Christ's love and help to alleviate their feeling of rejection. And so begins a holy, ever-widening circle of friendship in Jesus' name.

Bless you, one 4 Christ. :hug:

Here is a verse which I really love..........

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honour depend on God;
He is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Psalm 62:5-7

Thank you so much for your kind words. And it is true being sensitive I have this keen sense of figuring out when something is wrong with someone. Also being an outcast I can help others who feel that way as well.
God Bless you!:hug:

Upvote 0

Tyeise

Flower of God - Giving Joy
Apr 19, 2005
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with severe clinical depression, and have also been diagnosed as being a "sensitive". It is possible to be both, or to be one or the other. If you are unsure, you should probably seek professional help, and let them make the diagnosis.

Having said that, and having fought against this for over 20 years, I will say that Lord did create us the way we are, but also expects us to grow in Him, and to become more like Christ. A verse that I found very helpful is:

Ps 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. KJV

Out of curiosity, I looked up the meaning of "buckler". What I found was:

OT:4043
magen (maw-gane'); also (in plural) feminine meginnah (meg-in-naw'); from OT:1598; a shield (i.e. the small one or buckler); figuratively, a protector; also the scaly hide of the crocodile:

KJV - armed, buckler, defence, ruler, scale, shield.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.) (red emphasis mine)

When I looked at "buckler" as a protector, the scaly hide of the crocodile, I realized that I needed to try to learn to let God be the tough skin I needed. I might be sensitive, but with His help, if I let Him, He would enable me to respond graciously.

Another verse that I found helpful is:
Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. KJV
When we are sensitive, we need to be careful not to read things into what is going on around us. When we think "oh it's happening again", or "no one likes me", we need to think about the fact that maybe other people are just preoccupied, and we got overlooked by accident. We need to realize that God is in control of all things, and look for what good He might intend, or what He might want us to learn. Nearly every situation has something good we can find, if we search for it, and search with a heart yielded to the Lord. (But I'll admit that it does take a bit of practice!) So look for the good in each situation, and keep thinking of the ways that God has blessed you today. You'll find that it does help.

Upvote 0

Starcradle

Senior Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
✟7,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I looked at "buckler" as a protector, the scaly hide of the crocodile, I realized that I needed to try to learn to let God be the tough skin I needed. I might be sensitive, but with His help, if I let Him, He would enable me to respond graciously.

Thank you for partaking this wise sentiment, Tyeise. :hug: I have discovered that when I endeavor in my own feeble strength to cloak myself in a tough skin of my own construction, I can easily fall into indifference for the sake of protecting my sensitive heart from further damage, which is not glorifying to the Lord. Hence I wholeheartedly agree with you that we must allow the Lord to be our "tough skin" so that we will respond to pain in a manner that honors Him.

Upvote 0

pegatha

Apr 26, 2004
✟1,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
one 4 Christ said:

This isn't ridicule. This is what I would say to someone I really loved, if they were suffering like you are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.