Is this a Bible-based church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrmc

Mar 7, 2006
✟7,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
To all of you present and former AoG members, would you say that this denomination is Bible-based? I, in no way, don't want anyone to be offended by this question. I simply ask because I'm trying to find a good
bible-based church/church family. I have been to a couple in the past and felt very welcome. I am currently a member of a very large Charismatic church and although I really like the pastor and love the church, I often times feel "lost in the crowd" and feel that a smaller congregation would best suit me and my little boy.(Dh hasn't rededicated his life to the Lord yet and not sure he will) Anyways, this is my reason for asking. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

GOD Bless!

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For the most part, the doctrine is Bible based.

As for church structure or government, it depends on what you think the Bible teaches. If you think a church should be led by a group of elders, for example, the A/G isn't.

I think the A/G is lacking in some areas (so we left), but it isn't all that bad, in that I don't believe that they are anti-Biblical.

Upvote 0

Paladin21

Holy Knight of God
Nov 16, 2004
Iowa
✟8,109.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being a part of the AG church I could tell you I have not found anything that is "off" I would agree on the leadership part.

Deacon vs. Elder whichever you believe, we have both in our AG church, the deacons really do make all the choices and the elders are there for support.

I would be carefull, some AG churches are VERY dry and some are not. Just let God lead you :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

blackbyrd

addicted to the presence of God
Mar 27, 2006
MS
✟23,343.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I do not attend an AOG church, but attend a church that holds the same Doctrinal beliefs. We even buy our LIterature from GPH, have Royal Rangers at our church etc...

The one thing I respect about the AG is that within each individual church there is an atonomy to worship and live. I have been in some very Liberal AG churches and some that were very conservative, I have been blessed to preach in both kinds and felt a liberty and peace in both...

Upvote 0

4givn2giv4him

Mar 15, 2006
✟15,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This is a great topic, thanks for bringing it up!

There's no such thing as a perfect church but let God guide you... I go to a large AoG church and I would definitely say it is Bible based. We have a group of 12 elders not just 1 pastor. (not that I think there's anything wrong with having 1 pastor) and we also have cell groups. I can see what you mean about feeling lost in the crowd, because that is a common complaint. I think that's where you need to be proactive, join a small group where a leader can keep you accountable so you don't slip through the cracks. Get your son into a group too. Having friends around to support you makes a huge difference. Get involved however you can. If they run camps, courses, retreats, sign up! Volunteer however you can..

The reason I say this is I 'attended' church for over a year and felt like I was just one in a crowd. Then I started really participating in all the ways I have just suggested. The church is now more than home to me, the people like family.

Also, speak with faith over your son's life! He WILL find the Lord and make a rededication. I don't know how old he is, but perhaps you could encourage him to go to the church's youth group. When he sees how others are doing it, the barriers will start coming down.

My suggestion would be to give this church a real chance. If it still doesn't feel like a church home then maybe you should seek out God and ask Him to lead You elsewhere.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
AG as a denomination has the most Biblical doctrine of any denomination I've been associated with. Individual churches may vary some, and the teaching ministry available in any church is dependent on the ministry gifts at that church.

God knows where you should go. Seek His direction. If you're already being led to an AG church, rest assured they believe the Bible.

Upvote 0

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've gone to AoG churches for the last few years, and I think it really depends on the church. Two that I've attended (including my current one) I felt very good about, and I know God brought me there. The other one...well...I got an almost sinister feeling just by being there, and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of Biblical teaching going on. There are many, many good ones out there, though.

Upvote 0

A Taffer

Stop right there criminal scum!
Jun 28, 2003
Utah
✟9,337.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tranceformer110 said:
I go to an A/G church and I take issue with the "tongues for all" type teaching and the lack of teaching the importance of water baptism.

In my experience at an A/G church (in my profile), I've never heard of "tongues for all" but they do teach on tongues, just not all that much. The teaching of the importance of water baptism is something our last pastor has stressed a lot saying it was important to do if you haven't done so already.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what 'tongues for all' refers to, but the way I was taught in AG was the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is for all, and if you get baptized in the Holy Spirit you will speak in other tongues when you get filled, and generally will continue to speak in tongues (not exclusively) afteward when in prayer.

As far as water baptism is concerned, it was basically taught as an outward profession of your faith and a matter of obedience, as it is commanded by the Lord. This is not too different from what a lot of mainline fundamental non-Pentecostal denominations teach. At any rate, I disagree with that. (EDIT- I don't disagree with it, I disagree that that's all there is to it.) There's something spiritual going on when you get water baptized just like there is when you are born again and when you receive the Holy Spirit baptism. I also don't agree with waiting weeks to schedule being baptized. If it were up to me, I'd have a dunkin' tub at the ready for any service. AG does get the dunking part right. Sprinkling doesn't count.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.