Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Here's a book written by a modern Baptist on the subject.

barcellos-lords-supper-as-a-means-of-grace.jpg

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You and JM are heretics!

Just kidding. I have known JM for a long time on this site and though he is in error on some things, just kidding again, he is one of the most well read and committed to the Scriptures of all the people on here. He is one of a few that I actually call brother on this site. Plus he liked the pipes and tobacco I sent him.

Reactions: JM and Avid
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
JM, as it goes majority rules is more important than debating the issue in Baptist circles. But their ok with debating trivial subjects like KJV.
I would honestly be interested in your Scriptural support for your view. PM me if you want. I don't hold to sacraments, being a Baptist not convinced by the Scriptures that they exist, but would be interested in how you have come to your understanding. Reading your posts I have come to highly respect you.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
hmm. I don't really see that. I see those who aren't baptists just asking questions, they are not really teaching, just offering their different views. But I think some have tried to turn it into debate...
There are people who claim to be Baptist who have espoused Roman Catholic views and beliefs. There are people who are EO, who have as well. There are people who are Anglican who ask provocative questions on the Baptist forum, and immediately cry that we are hateful and hostile if we show the truth from the scriptures. Try this one as an example:

The Holy Tradition means the teachings that are alive in the Church of Christ (Orthodox) but are not in the Bible because they were not written (how could them? The Bible is not a journal). Mary never died, she was bodily taken to Heaven after her dormition. This isn't written in the Bible because she died after the final writing of the Revelation, so where to put it? But is present on the writings of the Church.

That is an example that was posted in the most recent day or so.

Reactions: baptist4life
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Why do Baptists refuse to use the Baptist badge? I know I changed mine for about week to "Christian" but found it to be confusing and a little dishonest to those I was discussing doctrine with.

Why do so many pretend to be generic Christians if they are really Baptists?

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
JM, the term seeker driven has its starting with the Leadership Network, where church pastors are turned into Leaders inside the church growth movement. The policy behind the church growth movement is to create a culture to bring families into the church to be a community with a focus on social welfare of society. There is no place for division and having the denominational in your church fosters division and they want to unite for the good of man, not a theology.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because I have much in common with all Christians, and that to me is more important than a denominational tag.

I already belonged to a church that claimed they were the remnant of God, and thought other folks were deceived etc.

After leaving that church when I found some doctrines I could not reconcile with the Scriptures I realized how much I have in common with other Christians, which I prefer to emphasize rather the theological issues that separate us. This does not mean I can agree with all Christians on all doctrines. I cannot. However, I can agree that Christ is the focus of all true theology.

More than that, I am currently a member of an American Baptist congregation. But part of the reason I settled on that is that they have some basics of belief that they all agree on and give more leeway in the details. Since I was still studying out many issues after leaving the Seventh-day Adventist church this was a good place to do it. I could compare notes with a conservative Baptist pastor while he could still overlook a couple things that I held different than most Baptists in regards to particulars. Since I do not consider myself the most Baptist of Baptists, I figured I don't want to give folks the wrong impression. Though of course, there are so many flavors of Baptists, perhaps I am not that different after all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Tall, I get what you are saying. I think the Lutheran side of my theology makes it easier to be that way for me. But I think the answer to his question is based on what I stated. Being a Baptist church and hide like you are non-denominational, due to the name, probably means there is a theological focus that has changed which may seem like a move to "we are just Christian like many other churches", but theologically the emphasis of Scripture diminishes from a focus on Christ to a focus on community and your wellbeing being fit to be a Christian to share the gospel. This shift sounds well but you end up focusing on your purpose, not what Christ has done and how this came to be. It leads to a focus on hearing from God apart from Scripture. Little tweaks in theology for the emotional connection. Can some of it be good? I guess, but Scripture ultimately becomes taken out of context.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tall, I get what you are saying. I think the Lutheran side of my theology makes it easier to be that way for me. But I think the answer to his question is based on what I stated. Being a Baptist church and hide like you are non-denominational, due to the name, probably means there is a theological focus that has changed which may seem like a move to "we are just Christian like many other churches", but theologically the emphasis of Scripture diminishes from a focus on Christ to a focus on community and your wellbeing being fit to be a Christian to share the gospel. This shift sounds well but you end up focusing on your purpose, not what Christ has done and how this came to be. It leads to a focus on hearing from God apart from Scripture. Little tweaks in theology for the emotional connection. Can some of it be good? I guess, but Scripture ultimately becomes taken out of context.

I would see the "seeker" churches as somewhat different than folks on a forum using a tag. Seeker churches are intent on attracting folks, whereas on a discussion forum in a Christian only section the purpose is somewhat different.

Incidentally, my church still has Baptist in the name.

Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
JM, the term seeker driven has its starting with the Leadership Network, where church pastors are turned into Leaders inside the church growth movement. The policy behind the church growth movement is to create a culture to bring families into the church to be a community with a focus on social welfare of society. There is no place for division and having the denominational in your church fosters division and they want to unite for the good of man, not a theology.
Like how many "churches' use the term "social justice." I am wondering ho different this is from just justice and why do we need the additional word if it is just justice. If it is not just justice then it has to be injustice and not justice at all.

Upvote 0