Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is some explanation that is required. First of all, these ancient quotes employ flowery language that taken today with our very literal approach, can seem wrong and even blasphemous. However, people of that time would have understood what is said differently.

Additionally, Mary's role in salvation should not be diminished. God could have chosen to save us in many different ways. However, he chose to use a human woman, and have the Son become incarnate. God chose to bring us Salvation through Mary. Jesus came into the world through her and therefore one could say that salvation (meaning Christ) is only through Mary in that particular sense. This wording doesn't mean that Mary is the way to salvation without Jesus, but that Jesus and Mary are united in the plan for salvation in a unique way.

God chose to redeem the world by the sacrifice of his Son, who was born of a woman. Her cooperation, her "yes" to God, was integral to the plan.

Actually, Biblically, Mary has NO role whatsoever in salvation.

There is NO wording that can be extrapolated into meaning Jesus and Mary are "United in the plan for salvation".

That is a Catholic denominational teaching and is not found anywhere in the Scriptures.

In fact, the opposite is Biblically true.............

John 14:6 can not be more explicit.......
"I am the way the truth and the life, and no one come to the Father EXCEPT BY ME".

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
The fathers of the Second Vatican Council taught:...........

[The] motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation. By her maternal charity, she cares for the brethren of her Son, who still journey on earth surrounded by dangers and difficulties, until they are led into their blessed home. (Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, 62)
I'm not Roman Catholic, I'm Orthodox, and I certainly don't subscribe to Vatican II.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm not Roman Catholic, I'm Orthodox, and I certainly don't subscribe to Vatican II.

Sadly, on this issue the Roman Catholics have isolated themselves from the other branches of Christianity. This is merely one of the fruits of "progressive revelation".

Upvote 0