Is there an Atheist preference for the Democratic party going on here?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I notice a lot of "every tiny little thing" topics popping up of the form "GOP did this or that which I do not approve of" or "GOP did not win on this xyz issue in one state that I found"...

Is there some sort of "if GOP loses something then atheists win" argument to be had??

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Quara is anyone's idea.

Personally, I think a lot of people see a difference between their Christian faith and Republican values. With the exception of abortion (which isn't even outlawed in the Bible) and homosexuality, the Republican platform really does very little to help people the way Jesus teaches us to help people.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I notice a lot of "every tiny little thing" topics popping up of the form "GOP did this or that which I do not approve of" or "GOP did not win on this xyz issue in one state that I found"...

Is there some sort of "if GOP loses something then atheists win" argument to be had??
Think of the phrase: “evangelical democrat”, any cognitive dissonance?

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How about actual data?

Yes it’s old but with the GOP swerving even harder towards Christian fundamentalists I doubt the numbers have changed towards more atheists in the party.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

frank sears

Jul 26, 2022
Searcy,ar
✟10,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Republican Party is only a name for those who agree on many ideas. Christians usually vote Republican because their ideas(platform), is much closer to the platform of God, as described in the Bible, than is the platform(ideas) of the Democrats.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Public Christianity today is a function of the GOP. Its a political movement in service of party ends.

Just because you want them to lose doesnt mean you care one way or the other what the private life faiths of candidates are.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You might find this interesting ...

Religious Landscape Study

hmmm good point. That report shows that 15% of atheists tend to lean Republican while almost 70% lean toward the Democratic party.

I am sure there are a number of Christians that suspected that already.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Some Christians and some members of the GOP claim that - but I am surprised to find Democrats admitting to it.
Wow I thought it would be the other way round, and Christians would consider it a slander of sorts - even though its seems pretty true to me.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well given this study posted previously ...

It makes sense that at least a few people would notice where the atheists are trending.
If anything we have been getting less press of late as we were largely supplanted as the boogie creature by the deep state.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
According to the question asked in the thread title yes!
You could see this earlier in 2020 even earlier but it was the source of Biden's famous, "You know the thing!" comment at the DNC 2020 Convention. Biden was about to mention "God" quoting the Declaration of Independence, but realized the DNC and formerly gotten rid of "In God we trust" or other kind of language from its party planks to court the nonreligious.

But its been no secret that anti-Trumpism and antitheism (while not true atheism, it is what most atheists are here) have been going hand in hand for a long time, like the linked article below.

I also would say, I think atheism jives well with the Democratic party and their Utopian ideal, in the sense of that scripture that your heart is "where your treasure is". But I think the Libertarian, Rand Paul end of the GOP or actual Libertarian party can be attractive to many people including atheists who value their personal freedom and want a society constructed according to that value.

MSNBC calls for new "energetic atheism" to combat Christian "theocracy"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,490.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most are truthfully secular humanists. Secular humanism describes the political philosophy of western Europe, Canada, Australia, and more.
One might describe progressive Christians as Christian humanists.
Secular humanists see Jesus and others as wisdom figures. In terms of WWJD, they are light-years closer than the Religious Right.
The Religious Right creates most secular and Christian humanists. They see a big disconnect between the Gospel and supply-side economics.
Some of the most truly "Christian" people i know are Unitarian and other very progressive Christians.
John Pavlovitz describes the phenomenon eloquently.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟242,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Although I'm not religious myself, I've never voted against candidates due to their religious views. I have no particular preference for the Democratic Party. I like their desire to help the poor and defend civil rights, but I don't like their habit of spending like mad.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yes, many atheists find the big tent of the Democratic Party agreeable. It's a big tent with Christians and Jews and atheists and Muslims and Sikhs and Buddhists. Everybody! It is We the People.

Perhaps we should turn the question around and ask

Is there a GOP preference for a particularly narrow view of political Christianity?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
For reference. Both parties are majority (indeed 70%+) Christian.

LYXAXZMCCRFOPCS2VYICE2U6QM.png

Compared to the overall PRRI religion figures below:

In 2020, unaffiliated voters are underrepresented in the GOP, but are exactly proportional within the Democratic Party. [This isn't equivalent to atheism, but that's how they asked the question.]

White evangelicals are overrepresented in the GOP, underrepresented in the DNC.
White mainline Protestants are overrepresented in the GOP, proportional within the DNC

PRRI_Jul_2021_Religion_1-1024x817.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0