Is there an Atheist preference for the Democratic party going on here?

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I notice a lot of "every tiny little thing" topics popping up of the form "GOP did this or that which I do not approve of" or "GOP did not win on this xyz issue in one state that I found"...

Is there some sort of "if GOP loses something then atheists win" argument to be had??
There is an antichrist preference in the world at large.

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Republican Party is only a name for those who agree on many ideas. Christians usually vote Republican because their ideas(platform), is much closer to the platform of God, as described in the Bible, than is the platform(ideas) of the Democrats.

Counter-point. Many Christians vote Republican because instead of reading the Bible and practicing the faith "once and for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 1:3), they instead spend their time listening to false teachers and heretics.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, many atheists find the big tent of the Democratic Party agreeable. It's a big tent with Christians and Jews and atheists and Muslims and Sikhs and Buddhists. Everybody! It is We the People.

Is it??

I've noticed those under the tent often don't see eye to eye on many topics.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Is it??

I've noticed those under the tent often don't see eye to eye on many topics.

That's literally the meaning of big tent in this context.

"a political party's policy of permitting or encouraging a broad spectrum of views among its members."

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Counter-point. Many Christians vote Republican because instead of reading the Bible and practicing the faith "once and for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 1:3), they instead spend their time listening to false teachers and heretics.

-CryptoLutheran
It takes one to know one.

• Useful
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The Republican Party is only a name for those who agree on many ideas. Christians usually vote Republican because their ideas(platform), is much closer to the platform of God, as described in the Bible, than is the platform(ideas) of the Democrats.
well that's just categorically false

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes, many atheists find the big tent of the Democratic Party agreeable. It's a big tent with Christians and Jews and atheists and Muslims and Sikhs and Buddhists. Everybody! It is We the People.

Perhaps we should turn the question around and ask

Is there a GOP preference for a particularly narrow view of political Christianity?
Or, perhaps one that doesn't even exist.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I notice a lot of "every tiny little thing" topics popping up of the form "GOP did this or that which I do not approve of" or "GOP did not win on this xyz issue in one state that I found"...

Is there some sort of "if GOP loses something then atheists win" argument to be had??
I have had the impression that atheists would favor the Democrats, since the Democrats are not into the morals that are promoted by evangelical Republicans.

But why would they micro-study every little Republican-Democrat political shoot-out? Maybe because they do not believe in non-material existence and feel their success and well-being depends on keeping track of and controlling what's happening in the material world.

• Useful
Reactions: 9Rock9
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well that's just categorically false
Everyone thinks their version of Christianity matches their political preferences. But the Democrats allegedly booed God at the 2012 convention. That may have helped them with Atheists

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Everyone thinks their version of Christianity matches their political preferences. But the Democrats allegedly booed God at the 2012 convention. That may have helped them with Atheists
It requires virtually no effort with the internet these days to clearly explain what happened. It has to do with a Los Angeles mayor but I'll just encourage you to read for yourself a PRECISE definition of what happenned.

In the meantime, I would say that the seperation of church and state is pretty darn important.

Reactions: Frater Chad
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It requires virtually no effort with the internet these days to clearly explain what happened. It has to do with a Los Angeles mayor but I'll just encourage you to read for yourself a PRECISE definition of what happenned.

In the meantime, I would say that the seperation of church and state is pretty darn important.
True. I don't want the government involved in religion. I may not like their version.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Those who are religious are generally conservative.

Let's face it, how many times do we hear the argument that something written two thousand years ago at a time when science didn't exist, the whole world comprised a few thousand square miles of the middle east, education was limited to a tiny proportion of the population, hardly anyone could read or write and superstition was the norm...that it should determine what all of us (not just those of a specific religion) should do.

So to me, religion was represented by those who wanted things to remain the same. It looked backward. Not forward.

And I grew up in the sixties when a lot of us realised that we didn't necessarily have to follow in the exact footsteps of our parents. That there were better ways of doing things. That my working class roots would not determine my future. But political conservatism was determined to maintain the hierarchy. They wanted things to stay the same.

So they were both on the wrong side of the fence for me from quite a young age. They represented everything I thought was wrong with the world. And age may have mellowed me somewhat, but the angry young man is still in there.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Before his death Theologian Hans Kung worked to develop a global ethic.
It is interesting that all the cultures of the world have an ethic that is a variation of the Golden Rule--to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
And this is where the Religious Right has gone politically astray--managing to offend all the faiths in the world. Is the Golden Rule part of their legislation?
A Baptist missionary wrote in a mission magazine that in India their church should not waste money on hospitals or healing but on schools--because conversion is their objective instead of compassion. (I had a part time pianist job at a Baptist Church at one time and got their magazines.) I was horrified. I hope it is not typical. I found the congregants at the church I played at to be personally charitable but unlikely to follow through in their voting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does it?

Do you recognize evil when you see it?

Can any good people recognize evil?
Calling people I disagree with heretics and false prophets because they vote for a different political party than I do might not make me a false prophet but it would be arrogant and ignorant . A bad combination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In regard to 'public Christianity'

Matthew 6:5-6

You must mean Matt 5:
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Your light must shine before people in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.​

or did you mean Matt 10?
26 “So do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim on the housetops. 28 And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

32 “Therefore, everyone who confesses Me before people, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before people, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to turn a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a person’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “The one who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and the one who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And the one who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 The one who has found his life will lose it, and the one who has lost his life on My account will find it.​

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have had the impression that atheists would favor the Democrats, since the Democrats are not into the morals that are promoted by evangelical Republicans. .

Well historically they strongly endorsed slavery -- Republicans did not
They strongly endorsed "Jim Crow" laws - Republicans did not

Republicans also do not appear to support the idea of a parent killing their baby even if it is unborn.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those who are religious are generally conservative.

Let's face it, how many times do we hear the argument that something written two thousand years ago at a time when science didn't exist, the whole world comprised a few thousand square miles of the middle east, education was limited to a tiny proportion of the population, hardly anyone could read or write and superstition was the norm...that it should determine what all of us (not just those of a specific religion) should do.

So to me, religion was represented by those who wanted things to remain the same. It looked backward. Not forward.

And I grew up in the sixties when a lot of us realised that we didn't necessarily have to follow in the exact footsteps of our parents. That there were better ways of doing things....
And how is that working out for the country?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. I don't want the government involved in religion. I may not like their version.
Tragically, they already are, and, no, we do not like their version.
Consider "wokeism" to be a religion, and they are implementing it into law as quickly as they can. In some countries, you can be jailed for using the wrong pronoun. Even kids are being accused of sexual harassment for this nonsense.

Upvote 0