Is there a "second chance" for salvation.

Do people get a second chance, after death, for salvation?

• No, nobody gets a second chance after death on earth (please explain)

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Yes, people will get a second chance. (please explain)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Only those who were very good but denied Christ (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

ghtan

Nov 9, 2014
Malaysia
✟11,167.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a firm stand on this but I think it is possible that certain types of people will get a second chance. It seems clear that those in hell whom Jesus went to preach to did get a second chance. "Preach" normally means to share the gospel. They were those whose lives were cut short by Noah's flood. So I think one class of people that might get a second chance are those who are killed as a result of natural disasters that God brings upon the earth. If they had been allowed to live their full lives, they might have repented and accepted the gospel. This is especially relevant to children. Heb 9:27 could theoretically include God judging that a certain person should get a second chance.

• Informative
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
this is interesting:

I personally have the belief that, as much as we are willing for it to be so: our family will be with us in Heaven because we are.

the point is that we die to ourselves, not whatever condition may happen to the flesh

when the bible says "greater is he that is within me, than he that is in the world", the point is that the world says "dead flesh is: dead", but that is not as great as God saying "the flesh was dead, but came to life".

That said, I really wouldn't risk salvation something you may or may not have the strength for in the next life!

• Informative
Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is not something that people do every day or by accident.

No, not by accident. But it could be every day. Especially for people who are falling away very slowly. They are rejecting grace from God that can help them avoid serious sin which can send them to hell if they choose sin over virtue, holiness, temperance, etc.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another forum member, and myself, hijacked another thread when we got off topic in regards to humans having a second chance at salvation, after death.

My argument was that, basically, people fall into 5 categories when they die.
1/ Those that heard the Gospel and accepted it.
2/ Those that heard the Gospel and refused to accept Christ's Kingship and worthiness of worship, and the fact that He is their only way to the father.
3/ Those that heard the gospel, or any Christian message and disregard it as myth and empty hope.
4/ Those that are never mentally capable of comprehending the gospel message, even if they heard it..nor reaching a cognitive ability of being held accountable for their actions.
And,
5/ Those that never heard the gospel. Whether due to when they were alive or where they lived, or who they were around.

If these 5 categories, numbers 1 - 3 heard the good news and made a choice in regards to what they would do with this information...Only #1 will enter paradise. There is no "second chance" for 2 or 3

Category 4 are given a pass due to the fact they cannot be held accountable for things that they were not aware of.

Category 5 are judged by God, based on their life's works.

So...

Do people get a second chance after death, for salvation?
I could give a very long and a very detailed post about what my opinion is regarding salvation but I'm going to keep it short and simple to these 4 points since at the end of the day God is the true, just, and merciful judge who has all of the facts.

1. No one I repeat no one can earn salvation or maintain it by works. No matter what process God uses to save someone it will always be done by the blood of Jesus.
2. Paul states in Romans that no one who is of sound mind is without excuse as God makes himself known throughout all of creation and whether people want to admit it or not all people know that they need a savior. How God judges the cases of people who don't know about salvation is unclear, perhaps Jesus reveals himself to them just like he did the Apostle Paul when they are in their last moments of death I don't know.
3. Simply hearing someone preach the gospel and writing it off does not constitute an actual rejection of Christ. One must come under the conviction of the Holy Spirit and become aware that sin is in their life in order to be truly accountable for a true choice of accepting or rejecting the offer of salvation that Christ makes to people.
4. At the end of the day only God knows who is saved and who is not. As Christians we have assurance of salvation based on the sincere acceptance of Jesus and the inner working of the Holy Spirit inside of us.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
However, being Protestant, and reading Catholic views on Purgatory.. I have yet to be convinced that it is a valid concept.
Purgatory is not a second chance. It is only for those who are already saved.
I also disagree with the concept of "mortal sins" and "little sins"...
The concept is straight out of the Bible.

• Informative
Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Jesus went to Hell to preach for 3 days.
1. Jesus did it, it seems possible others could follow.
2. There might have been a good reason Jesus did preach in Hell. I'm not sure who He chatted with or what the results were.
I agree that it is not clear who Jesus preached to or why.. Some day we will know.

I highly doubt that anyone else would be permitted to do so. I see no scripture to support it.

1) Actually we are told who Jesus preached to - 1 Peter 3:19-20 - (to those from Noah's day while Ark was being built )
After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits — 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

2) Actually Jesus makes it clear that it's not possible. Luke 16:19-31 illustrates that God’s judgment is final and eternal.--
"And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
Jesus spoke of the finality of judgement as a forgone conclusion when he speaks of his purpose for his second coming --- Judgement Day (John 5:28-29)
“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned."

3) The time of Grace for salvation does not extend beyond death which is explains Scripture's urgency 2 Cor 6:2
For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.”
I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation."

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
it will always be done by the blood of Jesus.

Jesus, the Lamb of God, through his sacrifice, offered the free gift of salvation to us. We do, however, have to respond positively.

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10

"You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone." James 2:24

In Romans 8:1-14, Paul says we must be in Christ to do works that please God.

There is a choice involved.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As Christians we have assurance of salvation based on the sincere acceptance of Jesus and the inner working of the Holy Spirit inside of us.

There is no absolute assurance of salvation because ultimately we do not know the future and the choices we may make.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The person he is talking about is me.

I believe God to be a loving God, a savior, and a righteous/just judge. All these 3 attributes have to be there and neither one can outweigh the other.

For example, lets look at the Holocaust. The Nazi's believed in Jesus, they had a wrong view of him sure, but they still believing in him while the Jews in the concentration camps didn't. Yet do these Jesus believing Nazi's just get an instant pass to heaven because of believing in Jesus while the jews they shoved in oven go straight to hell?

Secondly.. If one of these people who starved, raped and shot Jews.. got down on their knees and accepted that what they did was wrong.. and asked Christ to save them.... then... they would be saved." Saved, sure.. but you are telling me he is auto-cleaned after death and just immediately goes in the gates of heaven without any justification for the jews he murdered?

Any human who denies Christ as the messiah..will not receive eternal life... No matter if they die in their sleep, died killing an evil Nazi, died helping Miss Daisy walk across the street. Or, died in the holocaust.

So this Nazi goes straight to heaven, yet a person from another country/culture who was a good person goes straight to hell because of not believing in Jesus?
If being a good person is meaningless then what is the use of morals or discussing morals if the only thing that mattered to God was you worshiping him?
..And if you did worship him, yet you have sins against someone that affected their lives.. you just get that all swept under the rug?

The Bible says that there is only 1 sin that is unforgivable even in the next life, and it says that he will judge the dead according to their works (Rev 20:12). So it shows that God does have mercy to those who didn't believe in him during the 1st life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another forum member, and myself, hijacked another thread when we got off topic in regards to humans having a second chance at salvation, after death.

2/ Those that heard the Gospel and refused to accept Christ's Kingship and worthiness of worship, and the fact that He is their only way to the father.
3/ Those that heard the gospel, or any Christian message and disregard it as myth and empty hope.
4/ Those that are never mentally capable of comprehending the gospel message, even if they heard it..nor reaching a cognitive ability of being held accountable for their actions.
And,
5/ Those that never heard the gospel. Whether due to when they were alive or where they lived, or who they were around.

If these 5 categories, numbers 1 - 3 heard the good news and made a choice in regards to what they would do with this information...Only #1 will enter paradise. There is no "second chance" for 2 or 3

Category 4 are given a pass due to the fact they cannot be held accountable for things that they were not aware of.

So...

Yeah, it's called the doctrine of apokatastasis which was a popular view in the early church before Augustine began to promulgate his doctrine of everlasting condemnation.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The vast majority of humanity, will be saved through the lake of fire, but blessed and holy is he, who has part in the first resurrection.
Yes, that is why the goal is to be a part of the first resurrection in order to avoid the second death which is the lake of fire (Rev 21:8). Martha had confidence that her brother Lazarus would be raised on the last day, which is the first resurrection (Jn 11:24).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) Actually we are told who Jesus preached to - 1 Peter 3:19-20 - (to those from Noah's day while Ark was being built )
After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits — 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

Unless this refers to "everyone before Jesus time" it seems a small and select group.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No.

Hebrews 9:27
“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:”

But we have to admit that we've not knocked on EVERY door on Saturday morning to proclaim the gospel to every person in the world. Plus all babies.

So when do the people who have not heard the good news (China, etc) get an opportunity?

• Agree
Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't going to reply, but the "other" vote seems to obligate me to so many words.

I would argue a subcategory of those who thought they accepted it and really accepted a different gospel, or a different notion of God. Variance in views on this forum alone regarding the nature of God should serve as sufficient example.

This category clearly does not deserve that second chance, but, then, this thread seems to be more about people who didn't quite get a first chance, as follows in numbers four and five.

This group is redundant to number two.

I reject the notion that a person who hears the gospel is any less capable of accepting it if he be mentally inept. Even a genius needs the miracle of a work of the Holy Spirit to open his eyes to the truth of the matter, no less so than that of a mentally incapable man. The miracle is the same for both. The only difference is that the mentally inept man responds outwardly in a mentally inept way. To the rest of us, who are only slightly more ept than he is, he might appear unchanged. Fortunately, it is not our judgement to make.

I would further argue that the Bible makes no claim on the matter. Officially, therefore, I must not claim anything on the matter authoritatively. I must acknowledge my own ignorance.

The Bible does not address the matter of those who never heard. It does not discuss the matter of infants, pets, the comatose or the imbeciles. It only addresses the fate of the same sort of people who might actually read it. In other words, it is not one man's guide to predicting another man's fate. Rather, it is one's guide to understanding his own fate. Therefore, in response to that fifth group I claim ignorance.

The Gospel does not say anything about a second chance. It doesn't need to. Anyone who would look to the Gospel to discover such a thing has already been given as much opportunity as they need, for they have the Gospel. Anyone who does not have the Gospel would not have access to that information even if it were included. I like to hope that everyone gets a fair chance, but I will not make a claim on any such thing, because I have no basis to claim such a thing. I won't rule it out, but I cannot accept it.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,063.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And,

So...

No.
Although, as you have said, people who have never heard/are not capable of understanding and making a decision, will be treated differently - I believe.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is why the goal is to be a part of the first resurrection in order to avoid the second death which is the lake of fire (Rev 21:8). Martha had confidence that her brother Lazarus would be raised on the last day, which is the first resurrection (Jn 11:24).

The only reason those in the first resurrection, don't go into the lake of fire which is the second death, is because they have already had their fiery experience now, and die to self now.

1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
1Pe 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Ecc 9:2 All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.
Ecc 9:3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

As for the second death aspect....

Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

In other words, after going through the fiery baptism of the second death, we shall die to self and live in Christ, and Christ in us, and it is God's elect who the rest of humanity shall be the harvesters.

Oba 1:21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD'S.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But we have to admit that we've not knocked on EVERY door on Saturday morning to proclaim the gospel to every person in the world. Plus all babies.

So when do the people who have not heard the good news (China, etc) get an opportunity?
The answer to your question is:

Romans 1:20 :
For from the creation of the world the invisible things of Him are clearly seen, being understood through the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

Upvote 0