Is there a "second chance" for salvation.

Do people get a second chance, after death, for salvation?

• No, nobody gets a second chance after death on earth (please explain)

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Yes, people will get a second chance. (please explain)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Only those who were very good but denied Christ (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Another forum member, and myself, hijacked another thread when we got off topic in regards to humans having a second chance at salvation, after death.

My argument was that, basically, people fall into 5 categories when they die.
1/ Those that heard the Gospel and accepted it.
2/ Those that heard the Gospel and refused to accept Christ's Kingship and worthiness of worship, and the fact that He is their only way to the father.
3/ Those that heard the gospel, or any Christian message and disregard it as myth and empty hope.
4/ Those that are never mentally capable of comprehending the gospel message, even if they heard it..nor reaching a cognitive ability of being held accountable for their actions.
And,
5/ Those that never heard the gospel. Whether due to when they were alive or where they lived, or who they were around.

If these 5 categories, numbers 1 - 3 heard the good news and made a choice in regards to what they would do with this information...Only #1 will enter paradise. There is no "second chance" for 2 or 3

Category 4 are given a pass due to the fact they cannot be held accountable for things that they were not aware of.

Category 5 are judged by God, based on their life's works.

So...

Do people get a second chance after death, for salvation?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another forum member, and myself, hijacked another thread when we got off topic in regards to humans having a second chance at salvation, after death.

2/ Those that heard the Gospel and refused to accept Christ's Kingship and worthiness of worship, and the fact that He is their only way to the father.
3/ Those that heard the gospel, or any Christian message and disregard it as myth and empty hope.
4/ Those that are never mentally capable of comprehending the gospel message, even if they heard it..nor reaching a cognitive ability of being held accountable for their actions.
And,
5/ Those that never heard the gospel. Whether due to when they were alive or where they lived, or who they were around.

If these 5 categories, numbers 1 - 3 heard the good news and made a choice in regards to what they would do with this information...Only #1 will enter paradise. There is no "second chance" for 2 or 3

Category 4 are given a pass due to the fact they cannot be held accountable for things that they were not aware of.

So...

People who have sincerely accepted Christ and die the 1st death (earthly death) are in the grave and will be resurrected changed and given immortality and go to be with Him at His return and into eternity.

Those who die the 1st death (earthly death) without sincerely accepting Christ are in the grave and will be resurrected later, but will not be changed nor given immortality and will be totally destroyed along with the earth and everything in it. (this is the second death) never to exist again.

No second chances for salvation after the 1st earthly death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
  • Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
  • 28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God. (1 Corinthians 4:5)

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And,

So...

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And,
So...
Num #4 and #5 fall under Rom 4:15 and Rom 5:13
Romans 4:15
(15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Romans 5:13
(13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law
.​

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And,

So...

1) These people might ultimately be saved, long as they haven't committed a mortal sin for which they haven't received absolution. They will either go to Heaven, or purgatory first to be cleansed of venial sins, then Heaven.

2,3) These are basically in the same category.

4) I agree, these are people who possibly have a disability and do not understand sin, God, Heaven.

5) Agree, they are invincibly ignorant.

A sin that breaks one of the Ten Commandments, is done with full knowledge and consent, is called a mortal sin and separates our walk with Jesus. We are basically choosing Hell should we die before receiving forgiveness from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

And,

So...

I suspect that former Atheist Howard Storm might say that he was given something like a second chance by being given a near death experience.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus went to Hell to preach for 3 days.
1. Jesus did it, it seems possible others could follow.
2. There might have been a good reason Jesus did preach in Hell. I'm not sure who He chatted with or what the results were.

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
1) These people might ultimately be saved, long as they haven't committed a mortal sin for which they haven't received absolution. They will either go to Heaven, or purgatory first to be cleansed of venial sins, then Heaven.

2,3) These are basically in the same category.

4) I agree, these are people who possibly have a disability and do not understand sin, God, Heaven.

5) Agree, they are invincibly ignorant.

A sin that breaks one of the Ten Commandments, is done with full knowledge and consent, is called a mortal sin and separates our walk with Jesus. We are basically choosing Hell should we die before receiving forgiveness from God.
I would agree with your statements. However, being Protestant, and reading Catholic views on Purgatory.. I have yet to be convinced that it is a valid concept.

I believe that the only sin that will not be forgiven is the "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit".

I also disagree with the concept of "mortal sins" and "little sins"...

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that former Atheist Howard Storm might say that he was given something like a second chance by being given a near death experience.

I would agree that some get a break in this area with NDE's.. but, if this man had of died and not come back.. he would have fell short and died the second death.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
2. There might have been a good reason Jesus did preach in Hell. I'm not sure who He chatted with or what the results were.
I agree that it is not clear who Jesus preached to or why.. Some day we will know.

I highly doubt that anyone else would be permitted to do so. I see no scripture to support it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
2. There might have been a good reason Jesus did preach in Hell. I'm not sure who He chatted with or what the results were.[/QUOTE
He went there to free the just who were in this, "realm of death", awaiting the redeemer. It wasn't a permanent hell at this point from what I understand. Although not everyone was freed. The parable of Lazarus talks about it.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the only sin that will not be forgiven is the "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit".
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven because the person is willfully ignoring what the Holy Spirit is trying to tell them. One of which is to repent of serious sins.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

He went there to free the just who were in this "realm of death", awaiting the redeemer. It wasn't a permanent hell at this point, from what I understand. It is the same place as where is talked about in the parable of Lazarus.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven because the person is willfully ignoring what the Holy Spirit is trying to tell them. One of which is to repent of serious sins.
I'm pretty sure that this is not what is meant by the "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit"

I know for sure that I am guilty of willfully ignoring what the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me sometimes..And, if you don't repent of your sins.. you don't have salvation anyway.

I am pretty sure that someone who has "Blasphemed the Holy Spirit" has done so with malice and conscious rejection of the Holy Spirit. It is not something that people do every day or by accident.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I understand how the Parable of Lazarus mentions anything about Christ and His speaking to the dead.

These holy souls in Abraham's bosom were freed through the victory over death through Jesus' death when he descended into hell. I'm saying it was a different hell than what we think of as hell.

Upvote 0