Is there a need for Islam??

bradamante7

Jan 14, 2005
✟153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
ServantofTheOne said:
The Qur’an guides us: "Your Lord has commanded that you worship none but Him, and be kind to parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, do not say "fie’ to them or chide them, but speak to them in terms of honour and kindness. Treat them with humility, and say ‘My Lord! Have mercy on them, for they did care for me when I was little’ (17:23-4).In Islam, serving one’s parents is a duty second to prayer, and it is their right to expect it. It is considered despicable to express any irritation when, through no fault of their own, the old become difficult.

In the Islamic world old people’s homes are very rare. The strain of caring for one’s parents in this most difficult time of their lives is considered an honour and blessing, and an opportunity for great spiritual growth. God asks that we not only pray for our parents, but act with limitless compassion, remembering that when we were helpless children they put us before themselves. Mothers are particularly honoured: the Prophet taught that ‘Paradise lies at the feet of your mother’ (Al-Jami & Musnad Al-Shihab). When they reach old age, Muslim parents are treated mercifully, with kindness and selflessness. In Islam, serving one’s parents is a duty second only to prayer, and it is the parents’ right to expect it.

Old people's homes? How do you know this is related to religion and not poverty?

Upvote 0

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
bradamante7 said:
Old people's homes? How do you know this is related to religion and not poverty?

its related to religion because i referenced the verse that commands kindness parents and implores that we do not to send them out to pasture in old age.

i know many muslim families living in the United States that maintains this value of kindness to parents, i have yet to meet any muslim who has sent their parents or grandparents to old persons home. They maintain their extended family structure even in the United States, they maintain their respect for the seniors of the community. poverty is certainly not the driving factor.

Upvote 0