is there a difference between Jew and gentile in the bible?

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So, do you agree that Levi is one of the 12 tribes of Israel?

What is the point you are making? That the Body of Christ is Levi?
The first point is priesthood as a distinct inheritance. Which inheritance the tribes of Israel did not have. The priesthood did not have inheritance with the twelve tribes in the land. Levi is one tribe. Which tribe is distinct from the twelve tribes. So even in this we have no foundation to go further.

As for the body of Christ.
If we cannot even agree on the above there really is no point in going any further. Judaism acknowledges that the priesthood is distinct to Levi. Since we cannot come to an understanding of scripture on such a simple but foundational point, why go on? I don't even know by what authority you teach such an understanding.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Levi is one tribe. Which tribe is distinct from the twelve tribes.

From the scripture you quoted from Numbers, that is incorrect, Levi is one of the 12 tribes, even though it may be distinct from the other 11.

If you don't even know how to comprehend a sentence from scripture, there really is no point in going any further

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
From the scripture you quoted from Numbers, that is incorrect, Levi is one of the 12 tribes, even though it may be distinct from the other 11.

If you don't even know how to comprehend a sentence from scripture, there really is no point in going any further

what are you talking about? Do you actually believe what you are saying? Here are the tribes listed in Numbers

#1 Nu 1:21 tribe of Reuben,
#2 Nu 1:23 tribe of Simeon,
#3 Nu 1:25 tribe of Gad,
#4 Nu 1:27 tribe of Judah,
#5 Nu 1:29 tribe of Issachar,
#6 Nu 1:31 tribe of Zebulun,
#7 Nu 1:33 tribe of Ephraim,
#8 Nu 1:35 tribe of Manasseh,
#9 Nu 1:37 tribe of Benjamin,
#10 Nu 1:39 tribe of Dan,
#11 Nu 1:41 tribe of Asher,
#12 Nu 1:43 tribe of Naphtali,

But... the tribe of Levi is not counted among them......

Nu 1:47 But the Levites after the tribe of their fathers were not numbered among them.
Nu 1:49 Only thou shalt not number the tribe of Levi, neither take the sum of them among the children of Israel:

Why would I even consider to discuss anything further with you if it is going to be like this?
BTW, the twelve listed above are also the names on the stones of the high priests breast plate, as well as two stones on his shoulders.
Ex 28:29 And Aaron shall bear the names of the children of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holy place, for a memorial before the LORD continually.
Ex 39:6 And they wrought onyx stones inclosed in ouches of gold, graven, as signets are graven, with the names of the children of Israel.
Ex 39:14 And the stones were according to the names of the children of Israel, twelve, according to their names, like the engravings of a signet, every one with his name,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nu 1:49 Only thou shalt not number the tribe of Levi, neither take the sum of them among the children of Israel:

This verse states that the tribe of Levi is among the children of Israel

Do you agree with that?

FYI, I see that you are using the 2 sons of Joseph as one tribe each, and therefore excluding Levi, which some Christians do, so I can understand where you are coming from. But Levi is one of the 12 sons of Jacob, so if you want to exclude Levi, then you will have to contend with Revelation 7:4-8, where Levi was included as among the 12 tribes.

Still the point is, Levi is part of the nation of Israel. They just do not get land given specifically to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This verse states that the tribe of Levi is among the children of Israel

Do you agree with that?

FYI, I see that you are using the 2 sons of Joseph as one tribe each, and therefore excluding Levi, which some Christians do, so I can understand where you are coming from. But Levi is one of the 12 sons of Jacob, so if you want to exclude Levi, then you will have to contend with Revelation 7:4-8, where Levi was included as among the 12 tribes.

Still the point is, Levi is part of the nation of Israel. They just do not get land given specifically to them.
I am using scripture. I am not excluding Levi, scripture does that.
The difficulty of discussion with you, makes me uninterested to even discuss concerning Levi, prior to and before the Sinai covenant. FYI, strangers were "among" them too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am using scripture. I am not excluding Levi, scripture does that.
The difficulty of discussion with you, makes me uninterested to even discuss concerning Levi, prior to and before the Sinai covenant.

Levi is excluded from the land promise.

But Levi is part of the nation of Israel.

That you have to agree, because its scriptural, but you seem unwilling to acknowledge that.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Levi is excluded from the land promise.

But Levi is part of the nation of Israel.

That you have to agree, because its scriptural, but you seem unwilling to acknowledge that.
I am unwilling to continue struggling over these points over and over. This horse has been beaten enough. Levi is the priesthood of the kingdom.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
But is it part of israel?

A simple yes or no would suffice
The question concerns, Is Israel as a nation a priesthood, as you claimed. As this conversation began on that point. But you are still focused on the other tribes despite their lack of priestly status, as heirs.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question concerns, Is Israel as a nation a priesthood, as you claimed. As this conversation began on that point. But you are still focused on the other tribes despite their lack of priestly status, as heirs.

I take Exodus 19:3-6 literally, unlike you.

But I can understand why you are insisting Levi is not part of the nation of Israel, despite what scripture is stating. I just wish you would be confident enough in your doctrine to state it for the record.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So, you believe the Body of Christ is a separate group from Israel?
Yes we are not flesh and blood descendants of Abraham. We are adopted into the family. Romans 11:17 "And you Gentiles, who were branches from a wild olive tree, have been grafted in".

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Do you know when Israel was born for the first time, according to scripture?
According to the Bible, the Israelites are the descendants of Jacob, who was later renamed Israel. We can look up the date in Bishops Usshers book if you need to know the exact year.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Judaism acknowledges that the priesthood is distinct to Levi.
There are some new findings on this. They have some evidence to show that the Priesthood of the second temple is different from the priesthood of the first temple. They have Rabbi today but there is no temple.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes we are not flesh and blood descendants of Abraham. We are adopted into the family. Romans 11:17 "And you Gentiles, who were branches from a wild olive tree, have been grafted in".

So we don't belong to any of the 12 tribes, okay

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I take Exodus 19:3-6 literally, unlike you.

But I can understand why you are insisting Levi is not part of the nation of Israel, despite what scripture is stating. I just wish you would be confident enough in your doctrine to state it for the record.
You take it seriously?
Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

If you obey. Did they obey? No they did not. Do you deny this?

Levi being a part of the nation of Israel is of no significance to priesthood. What significance you are making of their being a part of Israel is what is puzzling here.
They are separate from the congregation of Israel.
Nu 16:9 Seemeth it but a small thing unto you, that the God of Israel hath separated you from the congregation of Israel, to bring you near to himself to do the service of the tabernacle of the LORD, and to stand before the congregation to minister unto them?

You seem to be attatching some special status to be a "part" of the other twelve tribes. Priestly status is not be being a part of the twelve tribes, so I do not need to deny something not there in the first place. So what is your point concerning a part of Israel?

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You take it seriously?
Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Levi being a part of the nation of Israel is of no significance to priesthood. What significance you are making of their being a part of Israel is what is puzzling here.
They are separate from the congregation of Israel.
Nu 16:9 Seemeth it but a small thing unto you, that the God of Israel hath separated you from the congregation of Israel, to bring you near to himself to do the service of the tabernacle of the LORD, and to stand before the congregation to minister unto them?

You seem to be attatching some special status to be a "part" of the other twelve tribes. Priestly status is not be being a part of the twelve tribes, so I do not need to deny something not there in the first place. So what is your point concerning a part of Israel?
There are some new findings on this. They have some evidence to show that the Priesthood of the second temple is different from the priesthood of the first temple. They have Rabbi today but there is no temple.

Who has evidence? And what significance does it have?
John the baptist and his father before him were legit. But they would not listen to him. Cuz that generation of "rabbis" were not legit. The gospels themselves are a testimony of that.
Lu 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him. A crooked and perverse generation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Who has evidence? And what significance does it have?
I am talking about Science, DNA & Wiki. This mostly has to do with the genealogies we read about in our Bible. Most of the research was done looking for the cure for genetic diseases. There is a lot of genetic issues with the "Jewish" people and they are looking for cures.

According to current estimates, as many as one in three Ashkenazi Jews, those with Eastern European descent, are carriers for certain genetic diseases, including Gaucher disease. Researchers think Ashkenazi genetic diseases arise because of the common ancestry many Jews share. While people from any ethnic group can develop genetic diseases, Ashkenazi Jews are at higher risk for certain diseases because of specific gene mutations.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am talking about Science, DNA & Wiki. This mostly has to do with the genealogies we read about in our Bible. Most of the research was done looking for the cure for genetic diseases. There is a lot of genetic issues with the "Jewish" people and they are looking for cures.
This does not answer my question. I know the Pharisees often attempted to delegitimize the high priests, even before Christ was born. But how this speaks to the second century priesthood and its significance here has not been answered

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No one is denying anything here. I never stated Israel obeyed God during the Old Covenant of the Law.

The time period we have been discussing, is there a difference between Jew and gentile in the bible?, is during the millennial reign of Christ after his 2nd coming, in case you forgotten

Since you do agree with what Exodus 19 is saying, here is what should follow according to scripture

During the millennial reign of Christ after his 2nd coming:
  1. The entire nation will obey the Law automatically under the New Covenant (Hebrews 8:8-12)
  2. Thus, given Exodus 19:3-6, the entire nation will be a kingdom of priests.
  3. They will bring gentiles from all nations to know Christ (Zechariah 8:23)
Do you agree with the scripture there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0