Is the Corona Virus really all what it's made to be?

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And it isn't 16% of all people ... but rather 16% of those who test positive. I have read more updated info and it is now being reported that 12% are moderate (not needing hospitalization in most cases) and only 4% as severe.

In a press briefing on Monday, March 9, Dr. Nancy Messonnier of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) emphasized to reporters that older Americans are at the highest risk for a serious infection of the COVID-19 coronavirus and urged them to take extra precautions.

"Again citing Chinese data, Messonnier explained that about 80 percent of confirmed cases were mild and resulted in recovery. Approximately 15 to 20 percent developed a more serious form of illness. "

It says 15-20% get a more serious form, which with this virus seems to cause pneumonia in a lot of the serious cases, I'm not seeing where it's only 4% rate for complications?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And here in the US, we will hospitalize every patient who needs care without regard for ability to pay. It happens every day. Each non-profit hospital is required to give so much indigent care (meaning free care to those who do not have the ability to pay) or lose their non-profit status. No one needing hospitalization will be turned away. Needing hospitalization for COVID19 is likely primarily those having breathing problems...or dehydration. The doctors and nurses do not know who has insurance and who doesn't. It isn't relevant to what kind of care the patient gets.

I know you work in the medical field, but I can't agree with what you're saying from personal experience. Perhaps it's different with your hospital or your state. I've had run-ins where nurses mentioned my lack of insurance when I was younger (one time when on medicaid when pregnant at 21 over underwear of all things), my mom was harrassed to pay 300 in a parking lot by an ambulance driver when I was rushed into the emergency room as a minor before he'd let her follow me in, I've been sent home from hospitals before when told they had to admit me for life-threatening tests but wouldn't do regular tests or treatment there because I was uninsured at the time and they didn't have to do more than emergency tests (I was then sent home). I don't want to put full details online but I can't agree with your statement in this area because that's not what I've experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Viruses replicate faster than humans. They can readily have multiple generations within a single host.

I thought you were claiming to be a medical health professional. You should know this.

I am a registered nurse. No "claim to be". I took microbiology before I went to nursing school and well over 10 years ago. My instructor was horrible. I do not need to know about how viruses replicate to do my job on a daily basis. I need to know how to give medications as they are ordered by the doctors and how to care for the symptoms of sick people as well and recognize when things are changing, especially for the worse. If I was in the infectious disease specialty, I'd know more. However, I am in general medical/surgical nursing which would include taking care of most flu and pneumonia and RSV patients who will require similar care as a COVID19 patient.

However, I will brush up on this because I will be needed to educate patients on this virus.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am sick of the hysteria. Everyone in the hospitals are tired of the hysteria. Personally, if I know someone who tests positive, I might go get exposed while my immune system is high and just get it over with so I can have immunity for the rest of this season.

I agree some people are giving into the hysteria too much - I don't see people on this forum being hysterical about this, however. I have been following it and commenting on it with interest, but I am not panicking, even if it may appear like it because I have been following the news on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I know you work in the medical field, but I can't agree with what you're saying from personal experience. Perhaps it's different with your hospital or your state. I've had run-ins where nurses mentioned my lack of insurance when I was younger (one time when on medicaid when pregnant at 21 over underwear of all things), my mom was harrassed to pay 300 in a parking lot by an ambulance driver when I was rushed into the emergency room as a minor before he'd let her follow me in, I've been sent home from hospitals before when told they had to admit me for life-threatening tests but wouldn't do regular tests or treatment there because I was uninsured at the time and they didn't have to do more than emergency tests (I was then sent home). I don't want to put full details online but I can't agree with your statement in this area because that's not what I've experienced.

I can't say anything about your particular situation. Maybe things have changed. When my son went to the hospital via ambulance, they wouldn't even TAKE my insurance info at that time. Hospitals do not have to perform non-essential tests and procedures but they do have to treat emergency cases. This is required by law. I know there was a period of time a bunch of years ago when some hospitals were getting sued for "patient dumping".

The last hospital I was with was the one that took high risk pregnancies and I was cross trained to do postpartum care and several high risk conditions. I can promise that there is no way that a lot of patients could afford the expensive care they received...but they got exactly the same care as the doctors who gave birth on our unit. And I know that the other nurses often did as I did, and gave them extra diapers, formula (if using it), and other baby supplies because they were less likely to have access to getting these supplies immediately on discharge.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Then there’s this article out of Germany. In it the head virologist of Berlin Cherite, Mr. Drosten suggests, or assumes that the virus could have a 20-25% mortality rate in retirees.

the article is titled
“Death rate 20-25 percent”

Für Ältere ist Covid-19 besonders gefährlich

Google translate a portion below

—————-For younger people, he also sees it as his job to make the older generation aware of this: "It is serious". He observed himself in his vicinity that many older people did not yet refer to the danger: "They have not yet understood that they are really affected and that their social life must now stop for a few months." This applies to all kinds of activities in summer, such as club life or the shooting club.

Drosten points out the death rates: One has to assume that "20 to 25 percent" of those affected will die among the older population. "Of course you swallow it. But you have to convey that," says the virologist. All of the strength must therefore be invested to keep the epidemic away from the older population. After the younger population was "completely infected" - epidemiologists speak of a contamination - "we are largely immune," Drosten continued. Only then would the situation calm down overall. Drosten has since specified the numbers. The mortality rate was 20 to 25 percent in patients aged 80 and over, 7 to 8 percent in the age group 70 to 80 years and 3 percent in the age group 60 to 70 years.——————

IMO we must be aware. The elderly may be at an exceptional risk. This is a fluid situation and we certainly shouldn’t put our heads in the sand

Exactly what I have been saying. This is the group at risk. This is the reason that living places that are primarily elderly people from nursing homes, to longterm rehabs, to even retirement homes might ban visitors. This would be appropriate.

But there are healthy older populations with minimal chronic conditions that are testing positive without symptoms. High blood pressure won't be a risk...congestive heart failure is a high risk. All chronic respiratory conditions are high risk. Those too weak to cough well and clear their own secretions will be high risk. Diabetes will be high risk (healing is slowed down w/diabetes). Arthritis is not high risk (though general body aches on top of arthritis may make them suffer more while dealing with the virus).

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what I have been saying. This is the group at risk. This is the reason that living places that are primarily elderly people from nursing homes, to longterm rehabs, to even retirement homes might ban visitors. This would be appropriate.

But there are healthy older populations with minimal chronic conditions that are testing positive without symptoms. High blood pressure won't be a risk...congestive heart failure is a high risk. All chronic respiratory conditions are high risk. Those too weak to cough well and clear their own secretions will be high risk. Diabetes will be high risk (healing is slowed down w/diabetes). Arthritis is not high risk (though general body aches on top of arthritis may make them suffer more while dealing with the virus).
What about younger people that have asthma conditions at times? We know 2 in the local community, one a teen, another in 50s.

Upvote 0

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟160,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We are prepared. It takes no different care for hospitalized for the flu. We have plenty of beds...and like I said, if they become strained, we have policies in place to start discharging healthier patients and postponing non-emergency cases.
So being prepared means kicking sick people out to the street? I'd hoped for something better.
And it isn't 16% of all people ... but rather 16% of those who test positive. I have read more updated info and it is now being reported that 12% are moderate (not needing hospitalization in most cases) and only 4% as severe.
You don't have beds for anywhere near 4% of the population either. Do you need help looking up these numbers, or doing the math?
34 MILLION people in the US have had influenza bad enough to be tested for the virus (this doesn't count the people who stayed home or didn't opt for a nasal swab at the doctors office).
No. Just no. This number is an estimate of all cases of influenza, including those who stayed home or didn't opt to be tested. Don't you have any idea where these numbers come from?
I am sick of the hysteria
Nobody is asking for hysteria. The worst case scenario is when the entire population is exposed to the virus in the next few months. This isn't likely to happen - but even a minor fraction of the population will be enough to overwhelm our health system here. The best scenario is to convince our people to carefully curtail their social interactions over the next several months. We can't do that by claiming it's just another flu.
Edit: physical interactions, not social ones

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fusion77

Dec 18, 2015
Texas
✟62,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So being prepared means kicking sick people out to the street? I'd hoped for something better.

You don't have beds for anywhere near 4% of the population either. Do you need help looking up these numbers, or doing the math?

No. Just no. This number is an estimate of all cases of influenza, including those who stayed home or didn't opt to be tested. Don't you have any idea where these numbers come from?

Nobody is asking for hysteria. The worst case scenario is when the entire population is exposed to the virus in the next few months. This isn't likely to happen - but even a minor fraction of the population will be enough to overwhelm our health system here. The best scenario is to convince our people to carefully curtail their social interactions over the next several months. We can't do that by claiming it's just another flu.
Looks like the NBA is helping us out on that one by suspending the season

NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

2 days after touching all these mics he tests positive for Coronavirus

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not expendable but rather high risk all the time...even to the common cold or other viruses. They were sick before being exposed to the virus.
There are not other things going around widely that kill 16% of old people.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What about younger people that have asthma conditions at times? We know 2 in the local community, one a teen, another in 50s.

Of course...people with chronic health conditions and the elderly. Yes, they are at higher risk of getting a severe case.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
There are not other things going around widely that kill 16% of old people.

16% of all the people who catch it have moderate to severe cases. Most of those are older people, those with chronic health conditions, or both.

Yes, flu has similar stats for the elderly population that has chronic conditions.

No disease kills anyone that doesn't get it. And Covid19 doesn't kill 16% of the old people population. 16% of the population doesn't even have Covid19

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That kill 16% of the old people that catch it...yes, the flu for one. No disease kills anyone who doesn't have it.
Yeah of course. Thats why it's such a big deal that we cut off as many vectors as possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Ugh, our stock market just crashed worse after the presidential address

It is hard for companies to make money if everyone is being told to stay home. With schools shutting down, now at least one parent will need to be home with the younger ones. And nobody is buying anything if they are staying home and cancelling trips and sporting activities and air travel etc....

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
husband took this pic at store tonight:

TP scare.jpg

toilet paper aisle ^
cashier told husband everyone spending at least 100 dollars tonight

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
panic sets in
husband took this pic at store tonight:

View attachment 273063

toilet paper aisle ^

and when the truckers stay home...shelves will stay this way....but if the store workers stay home, there wouldn't be anyone to put them on the shelves anyway....

Upvote 0