Is the Corona Virus really all what it's made to be?

Fusion77

Dec 18, 2015
Texas
✟62,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then there’s this article out of Germany. In it the head virologist of Berlin Cherite, Mr. Drosten suggests, or assumes that the virus could have a 20-25% mortality rate in retirees.

the article is titled
“Death rate 20-25 percent”

Für Ältere ist Covid-19 besonders gefährlich

Google translate a portion below

—————-For younger people, he also sees it as his job to make the older generation aware of this: "It is serious". He observed himself in his vicinity that many older people did not yet refer to the danger: "They have not yet understood that they are really affected and that their social life must now stop for a few months." This applies to all kinds of activities in summer, such as club life or the shooting club.

Drosten points out the death rates: One has to assume that "20 to 25 percent" of those affected will die among the older population. "Of course you swallow it. But you have to convey that," says the virologist. All of the strength must therefore be invested to keep the epidemic away from the older population. After the younger population was "completely infected" - epidemiologists speak of a contamination - "we are largely immune," Drosten continued. Only then would the situation calm down overall. Drosten has since specified the numbers. The mortality rate was 20 to 25 percent in patients aged 80 and over, 7 to 8 percent in the age group 70 to 80 years and 3 percent in the age group 60 to 70 years.——————

IMO we must be aware. The elderly may be at an exceptional risk. This is a fluid situation and we certainly shouldn’t put our heads in the sand

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there really that big of a threat like CNN says, or is it taken out of proportion like Donald Trump says?
Follow the money. They are estimating a possible 30% drop in the US stock market which represents about 7 Trillion dollars, and that is only the US, obviously this is a worldwide pandemic.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Follow the money. They are estimating a possible 30% drop in the US stock market which represents about 7 Trillion dollars, and that is only the US, obviously this is a worldwide pandemic.
That does not answer the question.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't link the Guardian article I read today where a hospital doctor in China, Ai Fen, has said her horror at finding out about the virus and what it could mean because of a profanity word she uses in it, but she talks about the reprimands of all who were trying to inform the public in their area how serious this could be and how the medical staff realized how much the government was trying to downplay it. She said she has watched four of her colleagues die (hospital workers) and some who were part of the original "whistleblowing" as the hospital calls it disappear before China announced it publically. She lists some sad deaths, including the young. The article can be found by googling but doesn't fit the requirements to post here.

The original doctor who noticed it has died of the virus, he was in his early 30's. He was threatened with legal action as well and there has been an outpouring of protest in China over his death and saying he will be remembered and they admire his bravery for speaking out despite the consequences.

2000.jpg

Ophthalmologist Li Wenliang shared documents online and carried out interviews via text message from his hospital bed before his death on 6 February. Photograph: Handout

His story is interesting. - Article here. It seems it took him a month to go from mild symptoms to late complications and death at 34.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Coronavirus death toll in Italy rises to 631 in biggest single day jump

Daniele Macchini, who is working in a hospital in the north eastern town of Bergamo said the outbreak was a “tsunami that has overwhelmed us” in a Facebook post.

“While there are still people on social networks who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is ‘temporarily’ put in crisis, an epidemiological disaster is taking place,” he wrote.

“Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 hospitalisations per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the emergency room is collapsing.”

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
France bans gatherings of more than 1,000 people to contain coronavirus
France on Sunday reported 1,126 coronavirus cases, up 19 percent from the day before, the second largest number of cases in Europe after Italy.
Following an emergency meeting led by French President Emmanuel Macron at the Élysée presidential palace, Health Minister Olivier Véran said the country’s coronavirus alert level remained at Stage 2, with the government focused on protecting citizens while responding with proportionate measures.

These included a ban on public gatherings of more 1,000 people. Protests, exams and public transportation could be exempt from the ban on large gatherings, because they are “useful to the life of the country", said Véran. “Prefects and ministries will come up with lists of events considered useful,” he added.

Upvote 0

Fusion77

Dec 18, 2015
Texas
✟62,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Coronavirus death toll in Italy rises to 631 in biggest single day jump

Daniele Macchini, who is working in a hospital in the north eastern town of Bergamo said the outbreak was a “tsunami that has overwhelmed us” in a Facebook post.

“While there are still people on social networks who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is ‘temporarily’ put in crisis, an epidemiological disaster is taking place,” he wrote.

“Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 hospitalisations per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the emergency room is collapsing.”

I’m seeing 827 deaths with 12,462 reported cases in Italy after the latest numbers were reported. I’ll see if I can find a source later. That’s a mortality rate of 6.7% if my calculations are correct

here’s a link

Coronavirus live updates: WHO declares Covid-19 a pandemic while Italy death toll jumps by 196 | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m seeing 827 deaths with 12,462 reported cases in Italy after the latest numbers were reported. I’ll see if I can find a source later. That’s a mortality rate of 6.7% if my calculations are correct

That may be about right based on age of infected.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And don't see American hospitals running out of ventilators. But again, I don't see this as the great pandemic that you see it as.

Apparently not all agree with your assessment.

From the latest update in King County Washington:

COVID-19 is spreading in King County, with hundreds of cases having been reported to date. We expect the case count to double every 5–7 days. The public health approach is focusing on community mitigation to slow the spread of COVID-19. We are asking individuals, businesses, schools, and healthcare providers to take steps to help.

It's critical to minimize the number of people who get seriously ill at the same time. If too many people get sick all at once, this will put too much of a burden on our health care system. If that happens, people at highest risk – people over 60, and with underlying health conditions – may not be able to get the care they need if they get seriously ill.

In other words, they are looking to avoid the same problem that happened in Italy, that you claim cannot happen here.

And here is a hospital chain, in America, recognizing we could be dealing with a large surge:

First US hospital chain to treat coronavirus considers treating patients in 'tents outside'

The hospital chain that cared for the first coronavirus patient in the U.S. is considering treating a potential crush of new patients in temporary arrangements, its CEO told CNBC on Wednesday.

“We’re already looking at how we use our ICU beds, how can we use alternative areas of care, including setting up tents outside of our hospitals,” Rod Hochman, CEO of Providence St. Joseph Health, said on CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street.“We’re trying to stay way in front of this as we see a wave of patients potentially coming forward.”

Providence St. Joseph Health, which operates 51 hospitals across seven states, treated the first COVID-19 patient in the U.S. in January, a 35-year-old man from Snohomish County in Washington state.

Another article discussing finite resources, including ventilators.

Hospitals gird for coronavirus surge after years of cutbacks

With a potential surge of coronavirus patients, there may not be enough beds, equipment and staff to handle an epidemic. Executives face tough decisions about who could have to be isolated and, in some cases, need oxygen, ventilators and protective gear that’s already in short supply.

The hospitals have already worked through a bad flu season, which has some worried that there may not be enough beds should the coronavirus cases surge, as some models predict.

“This is not going to be a financial issue,” said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. “If anything … it will be a capacity issue, the number of beds.”

“Given that we’ve had a month or more of prep time, we have created contingency plans and will have additional beds available … but the actual ICU beds and ventilators are somewhat fixed and those numbers are what they are,” said Mark Mulligan, director of NYU Langone Health’s division of infectious diseases and immunology.

“Every hospital has limited, finite ability to surge,” said NYU Langone's Mulligan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That does not answer the question.
The market has valued the cost of this pandemic at far more than $7 trillion. I find that people can say anything they wish, but the money doesn't lie. So in my opinion the market selling off $7 trillion is far more telling than what any doctor or politician says.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Second, what Italy has done should convince anyone that this is very serious. The state of Washington cancels large gatherings, that is a huge hit to the people who work at these venues, so they don't make these decisions lightly.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's critical to minimize the number of people who get seriously ill at the same time. If too many people get sick all at once, this will put too much of a burden on our health care system. If that happens, people at highest risk – people over 60, and with underlying health conditions – may not be able to get the care they need if they get seriously ill.

In other words, they are looking to avoid the same problem that happened in Italy, that you claim cannot happen here.

And here is a hospital chain, in America, recognizing we could be dealing with a large surge:

First US hospital chain to treat coronavirus considers treating patients in 'tents outside'

The hospital chain that cared for the first coronavirus patient in the U.S. is considering treating a potential crush of new patients in temporary arrangements, its CEO told CNBC on Wednesday.

For some reason many seem to think this kind of thing cannot happen with the American medical system as easily, when from my perspective and experience I've often seen it weaker than some countries and don't find this at all surprising.

A lot will scoff at me, but I agree with my mother the other night when we were talking about them having prioritize who gets treatment in Italy - there it's with age and health conditions, here if it gets bad enough it will be based on who has the better insurance and money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Of course it is. This is 16% of cases, not some minuscule fraction. Plus you talk like these 16% are basically "expendables".

Not expendable but rather high risk all the time...even to the common cold or other viruses. They were sick before being exposed to the virus.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This isn't the flu, and you're not prepared for it. By your own numbers, 16% of those infected might need to be hospitalized. There aren't enough hospital beds, not here in the US nor anywhere else in the world to treat those needing it if it becomes widespread. That's why drastic quarantines are being enacted in various places.

This is a strawman. It's serious for a high enough percentage of people that public health officials are rightly concerned

We are prepared. It takes no different care for hospitalized for the flu. We have plenty of beds...and like I said, if they become strained, we have policies in place to start discharging healthier patients and postponing non-emergency cases.

And it isn't 16% of all people ... but rather 16% of those who test positive. I have read more updated info and it is now being reported that 12% are moderate (not needing hospitalization in most cases) and only 4% as severe.

34 MILLION people in the US have had influenza bad enough to be tested for the virus (this doesn't count the people who stayed home or didn't opt for a nasal swab at the doctors office). That is a lot more than this virus will affect. 20,000 have died of influenza in the US. Why weren't people concerned about this? (probably because we can handle it and most people aren't at risk of getting a case of the flu bad enough to need hospitalization).

I am sick of the hysteria. Everyone in the hospitals are tired of the hysteria. Personally, if I know someone who tests positive, I might go get exposed while my immune system is high and just get it over with so I can have immunity for the rest of this season.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
For some reason many seem to think this kind of thing cannot happen with the American medical system as easily, when from my perspective and experience I've often seen it weaker than some countries and don't find this at all surprising.

A lot will scoff at me, but I agree with my mother the other night when we were talking about them having prioritize who gets treatment in Italy - there it's with age and health conditions, here if it gets bad enough it will be based on who has the better insurance and money.

And what is your mother's background in relation to communicable diseases?

And here in the US, we will hospitalize every patient who needs care without regard for ability to pay. It happens every day. Each non-profit hospital is required to give so much indigent care (meaning free care to those who do not have the ability to pay) or lose their non-profit status. No one needing hospitalization will be turned away. Needing hospitalization for COVID19 is likely primarily those having breathing problems...or dehydration. The doctors and nurses do not know who has insurance and who doesn't. It isn't relevant to what kind of care the patient gets.

Upvote 0