Is the Bible the Scriptures, or is it the Word of God?

Terene

Bondslave of Jesus Christ
Mar 21, 2011
China
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear brethren,

Today I bring forth a topic of discussion, which I myself have not been truly able to grasp. I would love to hear what you guys have learned through God's Spirit regarding this.

Is the Bible the Scriptures, or is it the Word of God?

I have heard certain brethren mention that the Bible is the Scriptures, and it reveals the will of God, but the only Word of God is in fact Jesus Christ. From my current understanding of the Bible, indeed, the only time that the term Word of God is in any way associated to someone or something is in the Book of Revelation, where it is written:

And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and His name is called The Word of God. (Revelation 19:13)

In fact, I believe it is not wrong to say that the Bible, in its entirety, reveals the Person of the Christ, and the Mind of God to us, and points us ultimately to the Gospel: which is the Salvation of our souls through faith in the risen Lord and Christ Jesus. But I see nowhere in the Bible texts that even hint that the Bible itself can be considered the written Word of God. I do agree that it contains the spoken Words of God through His servants, but is it then right to consider the Bible itself as the Word?

Though I am not completely settled in this, I do tend to believe that the Bible is the Scriptures, and it is a mere record of the spoken and uttered Words of God through His servants, and then finally through His Christ, the Only One who is called the Word of God. Please do share with me your understandings as instructed by the Holy Spirit.

May God bless you all through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Most every word/phrase has a range of meaning, so that "word of God" in one place may refer to Jesus Himself; while word of God in another may refer to a divinely inspired writing or utterance.

One way to describe the three is - The Bible is a collection of Scriptures which [have been recorded to] declare/convey God's Word.

In explaining the Parable of the sower, Jesus proclaimed -

The seed is the word of God. <---> From Luke 8:11

In John 10:35 "scripture" and "the word of God" are used as being synonymous.

If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; <-----> John 10:35 ( Words of Jesus )

Acts 6:7 talks about "the word of God" increasing.

Acts 12:24 says it, "grew and multiplied".

2nd Corinthians 4:2 relates that a faithful witness will not be "handling the word of God deceitfully".

Ephesians 6:17 states that "the sword of The Spirit", "is the word of God".

In John 6:63 Jesus declares that the words he speaks unto us "are spirit" and "life".

So, in the grandest sense, Yes Jesus is The Word of God.

But also when His Spirit inspires words of life to be spoken and/or written - they too are considered an extension of His Authoritative Existence, and are thereby attributed as being the word of The Lord, or word of God, even though given as a measured portion.

Along the lines of when the magicians in Egypt testified that the miracles done through Moses and Aaron were "the finger of God" - though it was only His finger, it was still God. ( Exodus 8:19 )

Comparatively, when a measured/partial revelation of The Divine is conveyed it is considered to be God's word, even though it is not The Fullness thereof, which is Wholly Christ Himself.

For it pleased the Father that in him [Jesus] should all fullness dwell. <-----> Colossians 1:19

May The Lord be Pleased !

wm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The two choices you give us are the same, You make it sound as if scriptures are different from the Word of God. or as they are two separate things. when indeed the Word of God is scriptures and the scriptures are the Word of God. Whatever comes from God is of God, in the Beginning was The Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God, and we beheld the Word (that was made flesh) as the Glory of the Only Begotten. God used prophets in the old days to proclaim His Word, and the scriptures were penned by those prophets, How is it we can believe that prophets spoke the true Word of God, and we can believe that the same prophets could pen the true Word of God. then why is it that we can't believe that God could inspire a translator to pen the true Word of God. God is not a respect of persons, if He trusted Moses and all the writers of the orginal manuscripts to write His Word, and He has prophesied that the gospel will be published in all nations then He would have to be able to inspire translators to pen His Holy Word in all nations/tongues. but even as the old days there were false prophets even so today not every word that is proclaimed from God, is actually from God. God has given His people discernment to know the difference. But some won't hear or see What God has done or said. But The scriptures are Bible and are (not or) the Word of God.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

scriptures are of God, Jesus was of God. Scriptures are sent from God, Jesus was sent from God. Jesus is God the two are one. their thoughts are the same their ways are the same. they will never part on anything, and the same as with the Holy Ghost( which was sent From God therefore He also is of God). some say that the Holy Ghost is God therefore He can do anything He wants, but their half truth is that the Holy Ghost will never want to do anything contrary against God or His Word. the Holy Spirit is One with God, He will never do anything contrary to God nor His Word which is our Bible, God's Holy Word in scriptures. So to be of God the Holy Ghost/Spirit must be with Scriptures not contrary, example

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
KJV

if tongues are to be used in Chruch Scriptures inspired By God says there has to be an interpreter, many churches use tongues in church and intrepretation is never given, if You ask them about this they will say that that was the Holy Ghost speaking, and He is God He can speak whenever He wants, But the Bible(Scriptures) states that The Father, the Son. and the Holy Ghost are One. Many churches will state that all must speak in tongues as evidence of salvation in as receiving the Holy Ghost and this tongue is never intrepreted, this is a false doctrine for it goes against the very scriptures/Word of God for these tongues spoken in church are never intrepreted and can not be of the Holy Spirit or of God, for neither of the two will ever go against scriptures. God The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost are One God, and God can not lie!!!!!

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thank you for the explanation, WM. That really cleared thing up. May God bless you.

You're welcome in The Lord !

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. <-----> Genesis 1:3

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. <-----> Psalm 119:105

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. <-----> John 8:12

wm

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

Terene,
Probably about 4-6 months ago I was grappling with this same issue, and the more I thought about it I wrongly concluded the Scriptures pointed toward the Word, who was Jesus, but it wasn't a part of God or of His Holy Spirit. Now after some straightening out by the Holy Spirit I know that the invisible spoken Word which comes from reading the Scriptures is indeed the Word, as is Jesus, as is the Father, as is the Holy Spirit. In fact, since the Holy Spirit inspired the Scriptures, the invisible Word of God which is the Scriptures is the Word the Holy Spirit uses to strengthen, edify and comfort God's children.

I think I even posted once, before I came to this conclusion thru the Spirit and thru talking with my pastor, that Jesus had said, "You search the Scriptures and in them they talk of Me, yet you do not come to Me for salvation." This verse threw me off, like Jesus meant the Scriptures only point to Jesus but aren't part of Him. That's wrong! I was deluded. That's why it's so important, I found, to be more careful what we say on the forum. I apologize if I may have screwed anybody's thinking with that issue, and need your forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Terene

Mar 21, 2011
China
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Terene,
Probably about 4-6 months ago I was grappling with this same issue, and the more I thought about it I wrongly concluded the Scriptures pointed toward the Word, who was Jesus, but it wasn't a part of God or of His Holy Spirit. Now after some straightening out by the Holy Spirit I know that the invisible spoken Word which comes from reading the Scriptures is indeed the Word, as is Jesus, as is the Father, as is the Holy Spirit. In fact, since the Holy Spirit inspired the Scriptures, the invisible Word of God which is the Scriptures is the Word the Holy Spirit uses to strengthen, edify and comfort God's children.

I think I even posted once, before I came to this conclusion thru the Spirit and thru talking with my pastor, that Jesus had said, "You search the Scriptures and in them they talk of Me, yet you do not come to Me for salvation." This verse threw me off, like Jesus meant the Scriptures only point to Jesus but aren't part of Him. That's wrong! I was deluded. That's why it's so important, I found, to be more careful what we say on the forum. I apologize if I may have screwed anybody's thinking with that issue, and need your forgiveness.

Brother, I am also struggling with this, and I'm still struggling. I agree with what the above brothers have written, but yet I still have a doubt in my mind.

I agree fully that the Scriptures recorded the very words spoken by God, I do fully propose that those words inside the Scriptures are the words of God. But I have to wonder, even when those faithful prophets and servants of God recorded what God said to them, they also gave some narratives, for example:

I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. (Revelation 1:9)

And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man. (Daniel 8:15)

Clearly, these two men of God gave some narratives to allow the reader to understand what is really happening, and I'm sure other parts of the Bible contains such narratives also. My question is: Can these parts of the Scriptures be considered the words of God? I cannot make myself think that they are, because it is indeed the narratives of men, even though they are guided under the Holy Spirit of God to write these.

If then it cannot be established that these narrative parts are the words of God, then calling the entire Scriptures the word of God is fallible and wrong in my opinion.

Putting it in layman terms, let's say we write a storybook about a certain man called Peter. We try to let the readers understand more about Peter by interviewing him, and then we record his words inside the book. Of course the book will contain some narrative parts that we add in for the reader's extra information. But is it then right to say that the ENTIRE storybook is Peter's words? We acknowledge fully that the storybook CONTAINS Peter's spoken words, but that doesn't make the entire storybook Peter's words, does it? That is why I feel hesitant to conclude that the Scriptures in entirety is the word of God, though it does CONTAIN spoken words from God.

May God open our eyes in understanding this.

Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's a thought. Use this analogy. I give 20 different actors just their lines in a skit we're doing. None of them know the entirety of what happens in the skit, nor do they understand the timing of it. Now as the writer, I see the skit in it's entirety. While the actors may not know exactly how their part fits into the whole, it wouldn't be a complete skit without them. Now to transfer the analogy.

God gave each of the disciple, prophets translators a piece of God's plan. Just as we each have our own purpose in God's Church. God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus, (being one) coordinated them so perfectly that 2000 years later a much clearer image of God's plan comes into view. Therefore we don't have Paul's lines, Matthew's lines, Ezekiel's lines, Moses' lines, etc. all separated (divisiveness is against the nature of God) we see (in part not the whole) a more complete picture where the woork with one accord to for a skit we call the Bible the, divinely inspired, Words of God. Just my perspective on it.

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

I think my understanding now is that the Bible is better looked at as the Gospel message, intended meaning or theme of the bible, in part and in whole, is God's Holy Word - alive thru the power of the Holy Spirit and carried out by Christ Jesus, the Father, angels, and believers. This Word of the Bible, this intended meaning, message, theme, or better yet, Gospel, will not pass away in eternity. It has the power to save, love, give grace,... you could go to the Gospel of John and for chapter 1 you could replace the word "Word" with "The Gospel message", and you should be ok to do that, because Christ is our Gospel message, our good news:

John 1
In the beginning was the good news of Christ, and the good news of Christ was with God, and the good news of Christ was God. The same was in the beginning with God. (skip to verse 14) And the good news of Christ was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory of of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

When I first did this it put a new spin on things, especially when I thought of the consequences of the cross. Jesus was God's Word. Jesus was God's good news to men. Jesus was God's Word and good news in the flesh to men. The Word, the good news of His flesh became sin and was condemned so that I may live. If I only put my faith in Him. What more could He do?? God gave everything to win us. I know I'm off the subject a bit. But what a revelation for me, anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sedg

Jul 4, 2006
Tyler,Tx
Visit site
✟8,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget about the 2000+ fulfilled prophecies, and all of the scientific facts and foreknowledge that authenticate the entire bible as being " God breathed".

There's a free online article titled 101 scientific facts and foreknowledge at:
eternal-productions dot org if interested.

Upvote 0

Terene

Mar 21, 2011
China
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a thought. Use this analogy. I give 20 different actors just their lines in a skit we're doing. None of them know the entirety of what happens in the skit, nor do they understand the timing of it. Now as the writer, I see the skit in it's entirety. While the actors may not know exactly how their part fits into the whole, it wouldn't be a complete skit without them. Now to transfer the analogy.

God gave each of the disciple, prophets translators a piece of God's plan. Just as we each have our own purpose in God's Church. God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus, (being one) coordinated them so perfectly that 2000 years later a much clearer image of God's plan comes into view. Therefore we don't have Paul's lines, Matthew's lines, Ezekiel's lines, Moses' lines, etc. all separated (divisiveness is against the nature of God) we see (in part not the whole) a more complete picture where the woork with one accord to for a skit we call the Bible the, divinely inspired, Words of God. Just my perspective on it.

I think my understanding now is that the Bible is better looked at as the Gospel message, intended meaning or theme of the bible, in part and in whole, is God's Holy Word - alive thru the power of the Holy Spirit and carried out by Christ Jesus, the Father, angels, and believers. This Word of the Bible, this intended meaning, message, theme, or better yet, Gospel, will not pass away in eternity. It has the power to save, love, give grace,... you could go to the Gospel of John and for chapter 1 you could replace the word "Word" with "The Gospel message", and you should be ok to do that, because Christ is our Gospel message, our good news:

John 1
In the beginning was the good news of Christ, and the good news of Christ was with God, and the good news of Christ was God. The same was in the beginning with God. (skip to verse 14) And the good news of Christ was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory of of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

When I first did this it put a new spin on things, especially when I thought of the consequences of the cross. Jesus was God's Word. Jesus was God's good news to men. Jesus was God's Word and good news in the flesh to men. The Word, the good news of His flesh became sin and was condemned so that I may live. If I only put my faith in Him. What more could He do?? God gave everything to win us. I know I'm off the subject a bit. But what a revelation for me, anyway.

Don't forget about the 2000+ fulfilled prophecies, and all of the scientific facts and foreknowledge that authenticate the entire bible as being " God breathed".

There's a free online article titled 101 scientific facts and foreknowledge at:
eternal-productions dot org if interested.

Thank you brothers for your sharing! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0