Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: - Acts 6:5

Let see... This was about 35 AD. If the epistles of John were written in 95 AD that means Prochorus would have been very old when he wrote for John.

St. John was a teen when he reclined on Christ's breast. Antioch was not established until 38AD. Acts was written 75-85AD and covers roughly the first 50 years after Christ's resurrection.

At Acts 2:42 we lose the sense of the amount of time covered.

God be gracious to me a sinner.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, I know what you said, but you have yet to produce Scriptural evidence showing that John IS still alive and the Lord "preserved his body". I have asked for such evidence, and pointed out what the rest of the passage says, yet you repeat that this very likely happened because Jesus "advanced the theory," (i.e. said the words.)

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
No, I know what you said, but you have yet to produce Scriptural evidence showing that John IS still alive and the Lord "preserved his body". I have asked for such evidence, and pointed out what the rest of the passage says, yet you repeat that this very likely happened because Jesus "advanced the theory," (i.e. said the words.)

1) The evidence that John may still be alive is in the statement "If I will he tarry until I come, what is that to you?"

2) The fact that God can preserve the body is obvious and needs no further comment.

3) I did not say that this "very likely happened" only that it is a possibility and may have happened.

4) :D

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) The evidence that John may still be alive is in the statement "If I will he tarry until I come, what is that to you?"

2) The fact that God can preserve the body is obvious and needs no further comment.

3) I did not say that this "very likely happened" only that it is a possibility and may have happened.

4) :D

That is not evidence. Jesus never "suggested" it, nor implied that it was a possibility. It was a means of telling the other disciples to mind their own business.

Upvote 0

SwordFall

Oct 4, 2013
✟1,454.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Or, when you go to Heaven, you simply are not dead, but rather even more alive then you were on Earth, where one is mortal and limited.

Life and death take on different contexts, it's not just about literal, physical life or death. The spirits of the saved are very much alive.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
St. John was a teen when he reclined on Christ's breast. Antioch was not established until 38AD. Acts was written 75-85AD and covers roughly the first 50 years after Christ's resurrection.

At Acts 2:42 we lose the sense of the amount of time covered.

God be gracious to me a sinner.

Hmmm, you think Christ put a teen in charge of Mary?

I'd think John was at least 30 something at the Last Supper.

Reactions: canisee
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Standing Up said:
Hmmm, you think Christ put a teen in charge of Mary?
Who said he did. Read the text imagining the beloved disciple to be about 13, and it becomes at least as much the other way around.

Why do you think the beloved disciple was able to stay there with the women when all the men had run away and hidden?

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who said he did. Read the text imagining the beloved disciple to be about 13, and it becomes at least as much the other way around.

Why do you think the beloved disciple was able to stay there with the women when all the men had run away and hidden?

Well, that's not tradition. Besides,

Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

A teen with a home too, could be ;)

Reactions: canisee
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Standing Up said:
Well, that's not tradition. Besides, Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. A teen with a home too, could be ;)
This wasn't 21st century America.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I believe that when Jesus returned and appeared in Revelations,
that was the fulfillment.

I have always noted, that John was His intimate friend, that could
lean right next to his ear, and ask, Lord who is it that will betray you?

In 1st John his sharing that "which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

He was very close and really knew Jesus.

When Jesus appeared in His Glorified state with all authority, John fell as dead.

His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 15 and his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. 17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead.

John, who knew him better than any, was so overwhelmed with the
Glorified Son of God, with all the Fullness of the Father, all Authority,
all Power, he did not run over to give Him a hug, but was so blown
away with His Glory, that He could not even look upon Him.

Just my thoughts, that this is what Jesus meant when saying
to Peter, " If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
follow thou me."

John is not the mouse in the Green Mile, Mr. Jingles living on and on
in the flesh.:)

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Obviously you read it that way and nothing is going to persuade you otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
No one is in the Paradise of God as of yet. John is still dead and buried, and patiently awaits the resurrection of the dead together with all the saints. Paradise is our final destination.

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. Revelation 2:7

Was the thief lied to?

Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

Luke 23:43

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Was the thief lied to?

Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

No.

Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise."

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We can move a comma and change things.

Thanks to a brother who shared the small move.

I am not one to debate. I share and if one receives, so be it.

I believe that the thief would be in paradise with Jesus on that very same day.

Bless You

Shalom
Yosef

It is written that when Christ died in the flesh, He descended to the spirits in prison to proclaim His victory by the cross (1 Peter 3:18-20). So, how is it possible that the thief was in paradise that very same day with Christ?

Also, keep in mind that the Paradise of God is also referred to as third heaven, the dwelling place of God. We know Christ never ascended to third heaven the day He died.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
We can move a comma and change things.

Thanks to a brother who shared the small move.

I am not one to debate. I share and if one receives, so be it.

I believe that the thief would be in paradise with Jesus on that very same day.

Bless You

Shalom
Yosef

Why can't he be saying "Verily I say unto you today (or this day); you will be with me in paradise"?

Another interpretation might be the fact that in essence Christ was in paradise that very day since Christ and the Father are one. So if you've seen Christ, you've seen the Father. So if the thief was in paradise with God that day, then he was in paradise with Christ.

Upvote 0