Is the age of the Earth worth disputing?

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing in Zoider's question that suggests he doesn't believe the bible is true.

I did not write that he did.

Nor do I see him suggesting that we at all the product of infinite random impersonal chance.

Nor did I claim that. However, the most common theory opposed to Genesis' 7 literal 24 hour days, young earth/universe model is the secular humanist model of infinite random chance coming from a singularity cosmic explosion as the means by which we are here today. I did not make that clear.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
However, the most common theory opposed to Genesis' 7 literal 24 hour days, young earth/universe model is the secular humanist model of infinite random chance coming from a singularity cosmic explosion as the means by which we are here today.

Among Christians, this is not the most common theory opposed to YEC. Since this area of the forum is dedicated to Christians only, that is probably not the best assumption to begin with.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it worth contending for the truth?

I think it is.

If Genesis is not true, all of the Bible is not true, and we are still dead in our sins before the Holy God.

Or far worse, if we are all the product of infinite random impersonal chance, with no purpose, no meaning, no hope, and if that is true, there is absolutely no reason for morality or reason to love one another, so why do it?

There is no reason for love, logic, thought or reason when you deny the existence of God and His creation. None whatsoever.

The story of Genesis is important. I think most us here believe in the message, that man sinned and turned away from God. It's more of the question if it's to be taken literally or allegorically. I agree, that if there was no "fall of man", why would we need a redeeming savior?

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The story of Genesis is important. I think most us here believe in the message, that man sinned and turned away from God. It's more of the question if it's to be taken literally or allegorically. I agree, that if there was no "fall of man", why would we need a redeeming savior?

I don't understand how Genesis could possibly be taken allegorically. What could possibly be the hidden message of Genesis?

Isaiah 45:19 I did not speak in secret, in a land of darkness; I did not say to the offspring of Jacob, 'Seek me in vain.' I the LORD speak the truth; I declare what is right.

Isaiah 48:16 Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there." And now the Lord GOD has sent me, and his Spirit.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, God can't do all things, for example He can't do anything that would be against His own nature. An example would be things which are logically impossible (since logic is an extension of God's nature). So He doesn't have the ability to say... make square circles.

If I'm to understand your argument though, you're suggesting God could have made the earth with the appearance of age, such that we'd believe the earth was older than it was. Only problem here, I can't think of a reason as to why He would do that.

Becasue if you wish to make water into wine, grape juice just sucks at a party.
So you'd create it fully "aged" even if bystanders would say it was not aged.

• Useful
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does not matter.

BUT... when atheists and evolutionists USE the age argument to attack the literal truth of the Bible, then the issue becomes critical. If Christians are not able to defend it, then it WILL become an issue of faith.

But the scriptures make no mention or give any validity or importance to the age of the earth.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Science just debunks the superstitious component woven into religion.

Science cannot repeat historical events.
And "Mythbusters" gets it wrong quite often as well.
On Mythbusters...they try three or four attempts at something
then unable to recreate it, they determine the myth to be busted.
Yet they are sometimes wrong.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But the scriptures make no mention or give any validity or importance to the age of the earth.

True.
However, many Christians are dragged by atheistic criticisms into this issue. Atheists insist that if the earth indeed is old, then the Bible message has big problems.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True.
However, many Christians are dragged by atheistic criticisms into this issue. Atheists insist that if the earth indeed is old, then the Bible message has big problems.

That only has an effect on people who were
wrongly told the earth is young. An number of
scholars have used all their fingers and toes to
add up a bunch a years, and every estimate is
different. How is that Truth?

Truth in scripture is retold different ways by multiple authors.
Not among them is "A young earth".

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That only has an effect on people who were
wrongly told the earth is young. An number of
scholars have used all their fingers and toes to
add up a bunch a years, and every estimate is
different. How is that Truth?

Truth in scripture is retold different ways by multiple authors.
Not among them is "A young earth".

The young earth in your mind is about 6000 to 10000 years old.
How about I say the young earth is 300 million years old? Would that change your mind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The young earth in your mind is about 6000 to 10000 years old.
How about I say the young earth is 300 million years old? Would that change your mind?

The following story explains that if God has anything to do with it, then
people will likely draw conclusions about creation which have limited scientific support.

His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.
7 Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, 10 And saith unto him,

"Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now."

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The following story explains that if God has anything to do with it, then
people will likely draw conclusions about creation which have limited scientific support.

The earth is created by God. God must have something to do with the age of the earth. One does not have to think about it. But if one can, then do that.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No it doesn't mention the specific age of the earth. It does however mention and give validity to the age of the earth when God began the process of creating life on it.

It seems like a small thing but actually is quite a difference. We are told that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and the earth was without form and void. How long was it that the earth remained in that state before God began the life creation process? I have no idea. But I do think that is an important distinction.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Determining the age of the Earth is important because in exploring and colonizing space, people will be more successful if they understand how planets and stars originated.

Never going to happen in this universe. This era is about to end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums