• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Is temptation, in and of itself, sin?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by public hermit, Apr 7, 2021 at 4:49 PM.

1. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Okay, so you essentially agree with Calvin. How could Christ be tempted unless he, in some sense, desired the object of temptation? If there is no desire for the object of temptation, then there is no temptation ( in the subjective sense).

2. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I can understand that. What is temptation? Is it not a desire for the thing that tempts?

3. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    It being a naturally good desire.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Was Jesus God? If so, was he tempted?

5. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    So temptations to sin arise from good desires, it's just that the circumstances if that desire were indulged would not be good? Can you say a little more, because I think I get what you're saying, but not sure.

6. Hmm

Hmm Rapture Threat Level: ORANGE

+844
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Divorced
    That makes sense to me too. Here's a story that I think illustrates the point well. They were Zen monks but could just as well have been Christian monks if that's a consideration to anyone:

A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. At one point, they came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they could help her cross to the other side.

The two monks glanced at one another because they had taken vows not to touch a woman.

Then, without a word, the older monk picked up the woman, carried her across the river, placed her gently on the other side, and carried on his journey.

The younger monk couldn’t believe what had just happened. After rejoining his companion, he was speechless, and an hour passed without a word between them.

Two more hours passed, then three, finally the younger monk could contain himself any longer, and blurted out “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”

The older monk looked at him and replied, “Brother, I set her down on the other side of the river, why are you still carrying her?”

7. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I love that story! Thank you for sharing it.

Do you think Jesus ever felt the desire to sin? I take it some such desire must be in place to even be tempted. I think that was Calvin's point, desire to sin is sin.

8. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,681
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Generally, I would say that it is not a sin, but I have some caveats.

I believe that it can be a sin to seek out temptation, intentionally; a "dancing on the edge," if you will.

When temptation comes to us, God promises
    "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man;
    but God is faithful,
    who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able,
    but with the temptation will also make the way of escape,
    that you may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13 NKJV​

That is not guaranteed for temptation that we would seek out deliberately.

"Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue
    • righteousness,
    • faith,
    • love,
    • peace
    with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2 Timothy 2:22 NKJV

I thought there was a verse that said outright "Flee temptation," but I couldn't find it. Deliberately seeking out temptation, if not sin, is at best, reckless.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Hmm

Hmm Rapture Threat Level: ORANGE

+844
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Divorced
    I think He must have felt the desire to sin because, as you say, it wouldn't make much sense to say that He was tempted if He hadn't. The way He dealt with temptation when he was being tempted in the wilderness was not to enter into a debate with Satan but to siimply quote a line of scripture such as "Man shall not live by bread alone". This is a very meditative approach: not letting yourself get caught up in desire and spinning a commentary about it but simply bringing your focus back.onto a object of meditation such as a Bible verse. The story of the temptation in the wilderness inspired the Desert Fathers to live in the desert in Egypt and practice meditation/contemplation in the third century.

10. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    As this thread has gone on I've been thinking along similar lines. The idea of guarding our heart, and the emphasis on dispelling first thoughts, as is often emphasised in the Philokalia.

@Pavel Mosko, the EO traditions on contemplative prayer come to mind as I think about this topic.

• List
  11. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Jesus' temptations came from desires that were naturally good.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That wasn't really an extrapolation on your other post, but that's okay. So, Jesus was tempted by sex, which is in and of itself good. Jesus was tempted by hatred, which...how would one phrase that? Jesus was tempted by greed, which...

What you are saying sounds good, but when I consider particulars it's not so easy to reconcile.

13. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    No there is no sin associated in any way with Jesus.

To say that is to misappropriate the infinite holiness of God.

His temptation had its source in good natural desires. . .the desire to avoid excruciating pain, and continually overcoming that desire to remain in agreement with accepting it.

14. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,681
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Greed is the pathologized expression of thriving, being fruitful.
    Hatred may very well be the pathologized version of justice.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That's helpful. Thank you.

16. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Precisely.

Jesus said the same, desire for adultery is the sin of actual adultery, etc.

Don't be shocked, the unregenerate are fallen sinners, that's why they sin.

17. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    So, was Jesus ever tempted by adultery, and if so what did that temptation entail for him? It wasn't just the desire to have sex, simpliciter. It must have been the desire, however brief, to have sex with a particular, married woman, right? If so, was that sin?

18. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    He had no disposition to sin.

Why couldn't it have been the desire to have sex with an available virgin?

19. public hermit

+6,547
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Then he wasn't tempted.

20. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You know better than that.

Not all temptation is sin. Only temptation to sin is sin.

My destiny is to be crucified in the most horrible excrutiating way, by consent.

My natural desire to avoid the pain I have agreed to, and am free to reject, is temptation, which I'm sure I would have to continually overcome.

I just bought a pair of new shoes. That beautiful flowing cool stream tempts me to walk in it over the jagged rocks in my new shoes. No sin is involved in the temptation, or in yielding to it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 7:44 PM